P500 Bighorns or Trilobites

S

Sledge

I'd like to keep this simple. I've scrolled through every thread on this forum, and read all that remotely apply to my situation.

Won't bore you with the details, but I've boiled it down to these two.

4 Bighorns $550-600.

4 Tusk Trilobites $300-320

I am a BIG believer in the adage "when you buy the best, it only hurts once".

Lots of folks say the TT is just as good as the BH, though. Don't like to throw away money.

I'm not a high-performance rider. I just want a good all-around trail tire.

Durability, both long term and anti-puncture, are very important to me.

I know the TT is a knockoff of the BH. I also know the TT is bias ply, and the BH is radial. I don't know if I should care about that.

I'm looking at 25" or 26" tires.

Any thoughts?

Joe

Reactions: Stacy
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'd like to keep this simple. I've scrolled through every thread on this forum, and read all that remotely apply to my situation.

4 Bighorns $550-600.

Lots of folks say the TT is just as good as the BH, though. Don't like to throw away money.

I know the TT is a knockoff of the BH. I also know the TT is bias ply, and the BH is radial. I don't know if I should care about that.

Any thoughts?

Joe
I have no experience with the TT. However, I can tell you that radial construction makes a big difference in the SxS application. Ever since my dad switched to bighorns, he has raved about how much better the radials feel.

I would love it if someone told me that the tusk tires were as good as the bighorns. I would buy them if I heard that. But I have yet to hear that. I do have a friend that bought a set of knock off bighorns. Can't remember the exact brand. He had them on a rhino. We went riding one night and were on a railroad bed. We put 4 plugs in his tires that night. No one else had a problem. He actually went to the manufacturer and got replacements, and then promptly sold them and bought better tires. That is all I can tell you about knock offs. My money is going to kenda bearclaw htr's or legit bighorns.

There's my $0.02.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I have no experience with the TT. However, I can tell you that radial construction makes a big difference in the SxS application. Ever since my dad switched to bighorns, he has raved about how much better the radials feel.

I would love it if someone told me that the tusk tires were as good as the bighorns. I would buy them if I heard that. But I have yet to hear that. I do have a friend that bought a set of knock off bighorns. Can't remember the exact brand. He had them on a rhino. We went riding one night and were on a railroad bed. We put 4 plugs in his tires that night. No one else had a problem. He actually went to the manufacturer and got replacements, and then promptly sold them and bought better tires. That is all I can tell you about knock offs. My money is going to kenda bearclaw htr's or legit bighorns.

There's my $0.02.

Big Horns.....
cheaper is almost never the best....

Reactions: Sledge
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

There's my $0.02.

Yeah
Depends on your area of riding as well
I ride desert mostly...so I don't need a real aggressive
tire...I got maxxis ceros...
Love um...they suck in deep snow
or sticky mud...
but for dry desert riding....
rides smooth.....
but everybody is different

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

4 Bighorns $550-600.

Any thoughts?

Joe

I got 4 tires on 4 wheels
from Rocky mountain ATV
for $746.... delivered to my
door...
just sayin

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have trilobite hds and am 100% happy with them except for thick mud which they or bighorns were not designed for. I have never owned radials so I can't say ride quality is equivalent or better. But it is fine with the rear suspension set on 2 and 10 psi in all tires. I would not pay to "upgrade" to bighorns. Some with bighorns may say it would be worth it though... Make sure you get trilobite hd though as it said they have thicker side walls. Also it is the same tire as the p350 on eBay and you can get it in a 27 inch. My trilobites have p350 written on them.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
tusk trilobites are a different brand than the journey p350 tires they look similar but they are not the same

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
tusk trilobites are a different brand than the journey p350 tires they look similar but they are not the same[/QUOTE

My trilos have p350 written on them.
Looks to be rebranded for tusk

Image Image

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also if you look on eBay Wanda has a p350 tire. It's a generic tire rebranded to different retailers

advertisement
bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
didnt know that guess they are all molded by the same manufacturer maybe

Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
I have the trilobites in 26". have been great so far. About 300-400 on so far. No complaints. As for ride comparison idk. I don't think there is any reason I would shell.out the extra

Jason86

Jason86

Apr 26, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I had 26" big horns. Good riding tire for dirt trails and sand. I don't mud ride but some of the trails I ride have surface mud. The big horns gum up fast and I get stuck. I'm changing them to maxxis zillas light tire and clean out easy.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!