P500 Bison Bumper Mod

Parttime

Parttime

Feb 24, 2021
West Monroe La
Ownership

1. 500
Well this last weekend I was going to try and modify the Bison Bumper to move the winch to the high position. 5D19EC91 FF5E 4197 BE9F 629FC30E66F8
Got the cardboard template cut out. Had some trimming to do on the sides. This way they didn’t stick out like batwings. 82A6AA09 D1DB 414C BDD2 D5556B7FE5FB
by this time I’m liking the direction that it’s going. Removed the lower radiator guard. So the winch can mount closer to the radiator. It was going to have about 1/2 - 3/4 clearance. F0216843 A115 4A2D 8C81 3281C4A67C20
Im getting so close to being done. As you can see the holes are drilled ready to go. I thought I was being very careful on placement.
Well as soon I started looking even closer. The back bolts closest to the radiator was going to hit the center cross member of the frame. I thought about dimpling the frame so the bolts would fit. Decided not to do that.
At this point I’m like okay small set back. No matter how much I tried to figure it out. Unfortunately I failed on my plan. I shouldn’t say fail. I discovered a way that didn’t work. F4FAFE3E 69D3 455F 8D1A 6CA5F0334723

Parttime

Parttime

Feb 24, 2021
West Monroe La
Ownership

1. 500
Can't see exactly what's going on, are you saying the winch bolts are too far back and would hit the frame? Maybe shim the bumper out?
Yeah. The back bolts were hitting the frame. As far as shimming the bumper out. I looked at that. But the bumper was leaning so far back the bottom plate was at a severe angle. Even then the KFI 3500 lb winch was hitting the backside of the bumper.

cory b

cory b

May 7, 2021
Ownership

1. 500
I am interested in that bumper as well but was worried about winch installation. In your opinion could you still get the lower mount winch plate and use the bison bumper. I really want that bumper but worried about buying it and getting proper winch on it.

Parttime

Parttime

Feb 24, 2021
West Monroe La
Ownership

1. 500
I am interested in that bumper as well but was worried about winch installation. In your opinion could you still get the lower mount winch plate and use the bison bumper. I really want that bumper but worried about buying it and getting proper winch on it.
Sorry for the slow reply. Love the bumper no doubt. How ever the KFI winch mount will not work with the bumper. I ended up cutting some 3/16 plate steel. Drilled the holes for the U bolts and the stock bumper mount. Also added that extra bolts towards the front. So all in all there’s 6 bolted points on this plate. If you zoom in you can see the bolts under the front of the Bison bumper.

Reactions: cory b

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!