P1000 Boat rack for 10ft aluminum

Katoum

Katoum

Jun 27, 2016
Kelowna, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Need to carry a small conventional 11 ft aluminum boat weighing 90 lbs. on roof. Has anyone figured out a way to mount aluminium cross bars above the plastic roof and are not welded to ROPS bar. After much searching it appears that I'm the only one who needs to get his small fishing boat into mountain lakes where a dually with camper will not go. Any ideas or links to someone who has already solved this mystery would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Terry

Reactions: Biteme and sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Need to carry a small conventional 11 ft aluminum boat weighing 90 lbs. on roof. Has anyone figured out a way to mount aluminium cross bars above the plastic roof and are not welded to ROPS bar. After much searching it appears that I'm the only one who needs to get his small fishing boat into mountain lakes where a dually with camper will not go. Any ideas or links to someone who has already solved this mystery would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Terry
Ever thought about a trailer?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That plastic roof is UHMW. It's super durable. I would just throw the boat up there and tie it down real good.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
That boat would trash the finish on that roof,it's gonna shake like hell up there 8 plus feet

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It all depends on what you care about the roof. I personally never look at the top of mine. Now the sides are scared up from rubbing trees and the ground. I personally wouldn't care if it scratched the roof.

Thought I'd throw that out there just in case the OP is like me. If not, put a bed roll under it. That would help it not slide.

Paint a stripe on the roof using bedliner?

Last edited:
Katoum

Katoum

Jun 27, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That plastic roof is UHMW. It's super durable. I would just throw the boat up there and tie it down real good.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
The roof is not UHMW it's just polyurethane. I'm not worried about scratching but have you actually seen the plastic roof attachment brackets? I was thinking of making some tube clamps with supports that would protrude through the roof and accept standard rectangular roof racks but I would like to hear from others who have attempted to make a Rack. Suggestions of a trailer, a pad on roof, or just strapping it on while humorous does not address the question. JMHO

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The roof is not UHMW it's just polyurethane. I'm not worried about scratching but have you actually seen the plastic roof attachment brackets? I was thinking of making some tube clamps with supports that would protrude through the roof and accept standard rectangular roof racks but I would like to hear from others who have attempted to make a Rack. Suggestions of a trailer, a pad on roof, or just strapping it on while humorous does not address the question. JMHO

You may think that my response to your question was humorous but I'm being serious. I was giving you a much more simple option in my opinion. I was truly trying to help. If I were wanting to carry a small lightweight boat into the woods, I would most definitely strap it to the roof. My reasons are because it would save me time from not having to make or purchase a roof rack, it would save me money for not having to purchase a roof rack or buy the materials to build one, I don't want something permanently mounted to my roof that will affect the center of gravity and have a negative affect on the vehicle's performance at high-speed's or off camber situations and lastly my experience tells me that the OEM Honda roof will take a lot of abuse and holding a 70 pound boat will be no problem. I've carried lumber from my barn to a place for we were building deer stands and equipment sheds and put 8 4 x 4 posts on the roof and I don't just gently put them up there either.

I do understand that we don't all share the same opinions so if you would like to seek a permanent structure added to your roof then certainly feel free to do so and I'm sure someone else will be along to help you as I do not have any experience doing that with this vehicle.

One other thing, what roof do you have? I thought you had the Honda roof. Who makes a polyurethane roof? I know the Honda OEM is UHMW polyethylene. At least mine is because it has a stamp on the underside that says so.

It will at least hold me! I weigh twice as much as that boat....

746244c4eec06430504c13e1fce755c8

Last edited:
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These guys all have good ideas, or is there a certain aesthetic value you are looking for a well with a roof rack? There are a few I've seen with basket type racks on their roofs. I imagine they bolt on the same way. If it was me, I'd find a luggage rack from an old Chevy Blazer or something and just bolt it in straight through the roof.

advertisement
Katoum

Katoum

Jun 27, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 49687 Put these between the boat and roof and ratchet strap it down

Thanks for the tip on the foam blocks, I will try and source some out in Canada. The Honda roof has already warped enough that I have had to add high density foam between roof and ROPS CAGE to get rid on annoying rattles. Someone suggested a old Chevy Blazer rack and I have one sitting in my yard but even after modifying it would weigh to much. Car cross bars and clamps for cage would weigh less than 10lbs but would require making slits in roof but the side benefit would be draining the lake created in the roof depression which I always forget about till I apply front brakes and get a shower coming off the dash. LOL.

R

Rodney960

Mar 11, 2017
South
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Lowe's sells 1/2 4x8 roll of rubber mat that I would put up there. It won't slide nor would your boat if it is strapped. It should not warp either since the weight would be distributed over four points of your ROPS. Fliptge boat upside down.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Myself I would make a simple rack to hold your aluminum can. Then I would buy 4 roll cage weldable clamps
I would then weld 4 L shaped brackets that you could attach with pins so you could use it or lose it.
The L bracket could have 1 inch dia.pipe with hole sticking above ROPS.
Your rack could have 1 1/8 Pipe to slide over the bracket pieces....
Could unpin to take off rack or take off all four clamps for it off all together
Or have a fab guy do it...
Maybe them Rubber Hickys will work out

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the tip on the foam blocks, I will try and source some out in Canada. The Honda roof has already warped enough that I have had to add high density foam between roof and ROPS CAGE to get rid on annoying rattles. Someone suggested a old Chevy Blazer rack and I have one sitting in my yard but even after modifying it would weigh to much. Car cross bars and clamps for cage would weigh less than 10lbs but would require making slits in roof but the side benefit would be draining the lake created in the roof depression which I always forget about till I apply front brakes and get a shower coming off the dash. LOL.
You warped the roof? That must've took some doing cause they are as tough as they come. I finally managed to get a hole in mine but it took a direct hit from one hell of a tree limb at speed to do it. The impact lifted that side of the rig lol. Personally I'd strap that puppy and be done with it.

J

JTW

You warped the roof? That must've took some doing cause they are as tough as they come. I finally managed to get a hole in mine but it took a direct hit from one hell of a tree limb at speed to do it. The impact lifted that side of the rig lol. Personally I'd strap that puppy and be done with it.
Hummm... @joeymt33 where does your alls say UHMW? I've got several places on mine already. Granted they're from camber and rops meeting tree. But I'm going to have to put strips on mine.. I'm wondering if the more recent roofs are still UHMW or if they've got to something softer??

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hummm... @joeymt33 where does your alls say UHMW? I've got several places on mine already. Granted they're from camber and rops meeting tree. But I'm going to have to put strips on mine.. I'm wondering if the more recent roofs are still UHMW or if they've got to something softer??
I've never looked to see what it's made out of. Just know it's one tough sob lol. I hated to put mine in storage but too much trouble getting it to fit my cage.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!