Bottom door suggestions

R

rbenn

Jun 16, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
So I have a new to me talon 1000 4x live valve, We will be using it for dusty trails for cruising or bird hunting, but the dust part is major in the desert.
Do the lower doors make a big difference on dust? I have been riding in a Honda pioneer for over 6,000 miles and we don’t mind dust, but in the talon we are covered in a thick layer and it seems to come in the bottom of the doors. Pioneer had half windshield and no doors, talon has half windshield and just the factory doors.

If the lower portion of the door would help, what is preferred, the factory or afternarket lower doors?

thanks
The lower doors help and I installed them myself. You can do it if you have the tools. But I also sealed all of the openings into the cab with the spray foam for window and door jams. You can get it at home depot. I filled in the large holes just forward of the rear wheels. The holes there are large and fill the cab with dust. There are 2 small holes just behind the front tires in the wheel well and I sealed those too. I also bought and installed a rear window (honda so it would fit perfectly) and front windshield (honda full windshield with two lower vents that you can open and close) We eliminated 95% of the dust that covers everything in the cab. We also installed a Particle separator (dealership did) which filters the air BEFORE it gets to the engine air filter. Saves the engine.

R

rbenn

Jun 16, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have tried just about everything to reduce dust and OEM lower doors do nothing for dust control (they neither help or make it worse). The dust comes in from EVERYWHERE and there is little you can do about it. I have tired almost every combination of 1/2 windshield, Full windshield (vents closed and open), rear window, no rear window, lower doors, no lower doors and it makes very little difference. The only difference I noticed is the car speed at which the most dust enters the cab.

The only thing that I did that showed a marked reduction in dust is covering the huge holes behind the seats.

My observation indicates a lot of the dust actually comes in from the back of the doors where the gap is over 1/2". It appears to enter there , go behind the seats and swirl all around the cab. I have been thinking about somehow sealing that gaps in the doors to see if it helps but I am not optimistic so I haven't tried yet.
The lower doors help and I installed them myself. You can do it if you have the tools. But I also sealed all of the openings into the cab with the spray foam for window and door jams. You can get it at home depot. I filled in the large holes just forward of the rear wheels. The holes there are large and fill the cab with dust. There are 2 small holes just behind the front tires in the wheel well and I sealed those too. I also bought and installed a rear window (honda so it would fit perfectly) and front windshield (honda full windshield with two lower vents that you can open and close) We eliminated 95% of the dust that covers everything in the cab. We also installed a Particle separator (dealership did) which filters the air BEFORE it gets to the engine air filter. Saves the engine.

Reactions: Remington
Leonandlisa

Leonandlisa

Dec 14, 2016
Las Vegas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, I ended up going with the tusk doors, install was fairly easy. I have been working on sealing of the front holes and all the gaps behind and below the rear seats. Didn’t think of spray foam, I may add that to my list in certain areas. Want to leave certain area open for draining and make sure everything is still accessible for repairs.

Reactions: pct and Remington
RBD79

RBD79

Dec 14, 2021
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
So I have a new to me talon 1000 4x live valve, We will be using it for dusty trails for cruising or bird hunting, but the dust part is major in the desert.
Do the lower doors make a big difference on dust? I have been riding in a Honda pioneer for over 6,000 miles and we don’t mind dust, but in the talon we are covered in a thick layer and it seems to come in the bottom of the doors. Pioneer had half windshield and no doors, talon has half windshield and just the factory doors.

If the lower portion of the door would help, what is preferred, the factory or afternarket lower doors?

thanks
I put the Superatv lower Doors and back Poly Glass, that fixed the dust vortex coming through the back. Lower doors super simple to put on too. Love mine

Reactions: Smitty335
M

MrTidd

Mar 5, 2022
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R

thanks
The honda OEM lower doors are not a great deal they don’t fit tight and have large gaps around the panels ,but do keep mud from splashing in on you . i purchased the plastic ones from honda and dust will still leak in the cab . So i installed a weather seal all around the lower door panels .

Reactions: 906UP and Smitty335
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
checking back in to see if you have any pics, I am curious to see what you did? @906UP

Thanks
Here you go
20220422 18431320220422 184331
The white box w knob controls off/on and speed, I also added a roof vent that we open in the summer so the fan can draw clean air from outside, not perfect but it helps

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The honda OEM lower doors are not a great deal they don’t fit tight and have large gaps around the panels ,but do keep mud from splashing in on you . i purchased the plastic ones from honda and dust will still leak in the cab . So i installed a weather seal all around the lower door panels .
I did the same, mainly for mud/water

Reactions: pct and toddvdh
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Here you go
View attachment 331014View attachment 331015
The white box w knob controls off/on and speed, I also added a roof vent that we open in the summer so the fan can draw clean air from outside, not perfect but it helps

That is some serious redneck engineering. A ceiling fan in the sxs……..

Im probably going to copy that. :)

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Now that I think about it, most of our forklifts have fans on the a pillars and they run almost all summer.

Reactions: pct and 906UP
Sandsurfer

Sandsurfer

Feb 23, 2022
NM
Ownership

1. Talon X
I finally got the honda brand lower doors installed and I wanted to follow up with some thoughts.

Number 1, I am glad I spent the money to buy oem. The finished product looks like it left the factory with these installed. As I posted earlier, oem appearance is critical to me.
Number 2, I was initially nervous to cut into my doors. Don't be, this really was a simple install. Remove 8 screws to take outer door cover off, cut 8 pre marked tabs. Use a dremel tool with sanding drum and a razor blade to cut those tabs flush with the back part of the door. Drill 5 pre marked holes and bolt everything up. I took my time and cleaned my cuts, I also used blue lock tite on the 5 bolts.

All said, it took me 45 min per door and I could have done it in 30 pretty easily.

Now one piece of criticism. At the bottom and front of the door, there is a small gap which I have read about in other reviews also. The gap is perfectly in line with the body panel lines so visually it looks perfectly fine. For those that want a nice seamless fit like me, I will work to remedy this. I think some good quality black colored weatherstripping will take care of 95 percent of it.

Overall, this was a positive experience and I would recommend this product.

Reactions: toddvdh
Leonandlisa

Leonandlisa

Dec 14, 2016
Las Vegas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So as a follow up, I went with the Tusk. Install was easy and they made a considerable difference, I still have a huge gap behind the door that still let dust in but nothing like we had before. Pleasantly surprised, we never had to wipe off the dash gauge all day, it was still visible all day, compared to the past trips where if had such a thick layer of dirt you couldn’t see anything anymore and same for the half windshield. I would recommend.

Reactions: 906UP
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I was asked how the tinted lowers held up, well now with three brutal weekends in the books I can say they held up better then the tree kickers or any of the plastics on the machine. There is a decent gouge but any would’ve showed that. Plastic is still pretty clear. Machine took as much abuse as any in the trenches, rocks and heavy trees. I do like being able to see some out of them.

2C95DFF5 F322 4B8D B9DF CD9F0537BE21

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I couldn't afford the honda plastic ones, went with the McNasty powder coated aluminum, fit very well and would recommend as well......keeps the mud out and simple to install

IMG 6710

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!