Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I will have to back up a little, I've always been able to get 150,000 out of a GM motor that I drive, oil changes are the life of a motor. The front ends and transmissions are another story. But I drive all kinds of terrain, dirt roads to interstate pulling who knows.
I’ll also say that their front ends are chitty as well if you’re not highway driving.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Best truck I've owned is my Toyota Tundra w/ the 5.7 V8, I've replaced both side mirrors due to someone putting too narrow of garage doors in and a gas cap, gas and oil, lot's of gas. I'm going to rebuild it at 350,000 miles and drive it another 350,000 miles. The V6's may pull as good for a while, but you can't beat CU for pulling unless you go to a diesel, then I would go Cummins straight 6. I just wish I could rent a Dodge / Cummins for trips and let someone else take care of the oil changes.
Oil change excuse is for people that can't afford a diesel. It's $190 at my dealer every 15,000 miles. $280. If they do fuel filters too.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oil change excuse is for people that can't afford a diesel. It's $190 at my dealer every 15,000 miles. $280. If they do fuel filters too.
When I had my Nissan diesel I did all that myself…I’m too cheap to pay for something I can do myself. The dealer prices were crazy over what it cost me.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I had my Nissan diesel I did all that myself…I’m too cheap to pay for something I can do myself. The dealer prices were crazy over what it cost me.
Dealer was cheaper than last time I went that route. It was $200.00 for the Rotella, and fuel filters at Napa. Then I gotta deal with the mess.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dealer was cheaper than last time I went that route. It was $200.00 for the Rotella, and fuel filters at Napa. Then I gotta deal with the mess.
I agree, I pull in and they take care of it. A new filter, 7qts of 0-W40 and rotate my Yokohamas and I’m back on the road.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Easy, I think the key word missing is (want) to afford a diesel. At this point I don't want to afford a diesel. What is your MPG running empty, 20-23? Fuel around .90 a gallon higher than gas, don't forget the cost of Deff , that's a break even point if your running empty. Now trailering that's a different story. What is your MPG running empty verses running loaded. I get 15 MPG around town and HIWAY and 10 MPG towing. I hate the stops for refueling though. But 98% of my driving is unloaded. I keep my truck in my garage about a 5 second warm up before I back out, no fumes or smoke, just ease down the road until operating temp comes up and hammer down. I've had a couple of older diesels. I know they have a lot better technology now to keep from fuel gelling, but do I want to pay for technology repairs. The jury is still out?

Last edited:
GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oddly enough it was cheaper for me. If o remember correctly it was about $150 for oil and filters. Dealer was in the $300 range. I hated the mess but enjoyed the project. And saving money.

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Easy, I think the key word missing is (want) to afford a diesel. At this point I don't want to afford a diesel. What is your MPG running empty, 20-23? Fuel around .90 a gallon higher than gas, that's a break even point if your running empty. Now trailering that's a different story. What is your MPG running empty verses running loaded. I get 15 MPG around town and HIWAY and 10 MPG towing. I hate the stops for refueling though. But 98% of my driving is unloaded. I keep my truck in my garage about a 5 second warm up before I back out, no fumes or smoke, just ease down the road until operating temp comes up and hammer down. I've had a couple of older diesels. I know they have a lot better technology now to keep from fuel gelling, but do I want to pay for technology repairs. The jury is still out?
If diesel wasn’t so much I’d consider a baby Duramax in a At-4 or another Trailboss for the mileage. I agree it’s almost a wash now…and I think my 6.2 is much more fun to drive.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
One of these simple and inexpensive devices will test your 7 pin connector and the truck's circuits.

I assume you know there is a standard wring code for tow vehicles and trailers. It's possible to buy a trailer from an individual who had his truck and trailer wired not to code but to match his truck and trailer. His trailer lights will work with his truck but not with yours.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Brand new truck pulled trailer and 2 miles in trailer brakes disabled them selfs.My quess is they got tired.Never had this happen before no fix chevy has been working on it since June 2022.You cant fix s*** in your jammies working in the basement.
Does your truck have the factory tow package with built in brake controller? 1500, 2500, or 3500 truck?

Reactions: ChadD
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the reply i really think i have a truck problem.Tried tails and turn with test light nothing i think the truck has to be pluged to the trailer for output to the plug i know that sounds crazy.Iam shocked no cut in stone for a 7 way round plug wiring.4 ways yes 7 way no.
My 16 Silverado has it molded on the door for the plug. I'll snag a pic. FYI I replaced the hitch on the 16 and used the new plug it cam with on my 01. It was a direct replacement for the whip between the 16 and 01 trucks.

Reactions: Buggyman and ChadD
J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This truck does have the factory installed towing package.Right now chevy says there is no fix.Look it up it has a service bullitin on it with no fix available.But i need the brakes.Iam thinking stand alone brake controller using their brake switch for the signal run a new blue wire to the plug cut their wire and install mine.And use their harness for all the lights since thats not a problem.Iam thinking this is happening to the refreshed models mostly.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have you checked the fuse box. My 2017 blows the trailer fuse when I start the plug in without aligning the slot exactly straight. And yes, it's a Silverado 2500HD 4X4 with duramax and 98,000 trouble free miles. Brakes, oil changes and recently front bearing hubs. I trailer a lot and go four wheeling in it too. Love it!

Reactions: ChadD and Buggyman
J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the reply.This truck starts off with the brakes working 2 miles down the road the truck disables them.Stop and turn off the truck and they work again.They have the trailer brakes hooked into the abs and the sway control.I thank i can turn the sway control off.

R

RedorDead

Jan 3, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you install something like a Prodigy P3 it’s a complete stand alone inertial brake controller that will give you what you need. I’ve used those a lot.

One unknown is how the truck determines when a trailer is connected, and will a separate brake controller cause some codes or malfunction indicator. I believe if you do as you mentioned above and just interrupt the brake wire to the rear plug and insert your stand alone BC the truck will just see that as a trailer without brakes and everything will work fine.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the reply.This truck starts off with the brakes working 2 miles down the road the truck disables them.Stop and turn off the truck and they work again.They have the trailer brakes hooked into the abs and the sway control.I thank i can turn the sway control off.
It might not be the truck, it could be something with the trailer brakes that the truck is picking up through the controller.

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you install something like a Prodigy P3 it’s a complete stand alone inertial brake controller that will give you what you need. I’ve used those a lot.

One unknown is how the truck determines when a trailer is connected, and will a separate brake controller cause some codes or malfunction indicator. I believe if you do as you mentioned above and just interrupt the brake wire to the rear plug and insert your stand alone BC the truck will just see that as a trailer without brakes and everything will work fine.
This is my way of thinking also.Seems most chevy truck owners never have trouble with the lights but the trailer brakes seems to be the trouble most of the time.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!