Brimstone Tennessee

Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
First time here. Had a blast today. A couple of observations...the trails are poorly marked and pretty much not maintained. Deep wide ruts dug by big buggies. Bought the laminated map for 5 bucks and it did not match the actual trails. Had a good time and pushed my little buggy harder than I ever have. These trails are harder than a night in jail. Having said all that, the area is beautiful and we had a great time. Just wasn’t what we expected. Does make me appreciate the effort put into the trails in WV at Hatfield McCoy.

5291656A AD81 4F8E 8051 2C1DC934843B

Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
First time here. Had a blast today. A couple of observations...the trails are poorly marked and pretty much not maintained. Deep wide ruts dug by big buggies. Bought the laminated map for 5 bucks and it did not match the actual trails. Had a good time and pushed my little buggy harder than I ever have. These trails are harder than a night in jail. Having said all that, the area is beautiful and we had a great time. Just wasn’t what we expected. Does make me appreciate the effort put into the trails in WV at Hatfield McCoy.

View attachment 56245

AE2C5E60 B818 4116 A2BC 5AB3F58437FE 580FA95D B46E 42A7 A187 A996894CFBFA F249FF7E 49F8 4CA9 8D23 6F594B4A2C4D

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 56245
True, I saw something on the discovery channel, or somewhere about the hatfield and mccoy trails and how they put gps devices on the bull dozers to make a accurate trails.

J

JTW

I’ve been to Brimstone twice now and it does take some time to get oriented. I found the map to be pretty spot on but it was very difficult to orient off of it. The difficult trails are rough and the good trails aren’t groomed by any means. But there is some good riding and the lodging is reasonable!

Reactions: Derail and sharp
advertisement
Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Cool pics. Never been but it's on my bucket list. Poorly marked trails are an irritation to me as well. I've ran into that at RRB in the past.
I’ve been to Brimstone twice now and it does take some time to get oriented. I found the map to be pretty spot on but it was very difficult to orient off of it. The difficult trails are rough and the good trails aren’t groomed by any means. But there is some good riding and the lodging is reasonable!
We had a good time but it was our first trip there and we only had one day to ride. We got there late Friday night and did not get a chance to talk to any locals before we rode Saturday morning. The biggest issue I had with the place was that many of the hills were rutted out so wide and deep on the steep parts of the trail. My little buggy did not have the width or ground clearance to keep from bottoming out. We constantly had to stop and walk it out to determine the easiest/safest way to navigate those parts. It was challenging and fun and I enjoy doing some risky s*** sometimes. But with the limited amount of time we had, I was hoping for a more leisurely ride with some cool scenery. Perhaps if we ever go back I will try to hook up with someone that knows their way around the place better. But it did seem to me that the trails were very poorly maintained. They obviously are making a ton of money, maybe they could do a little work to the trails every now and then. Just my impression...we did not ride the whole thing so maybe there are other parts of it that are better.

Reactions: trigger and sharp
J

JTW

We had a good time but it was our first trip there and we only had one day to ride. We got there late Friday night and did not get a chance to talk to any locals before we rode Saturday morning. The biggest issue I had with the place was that many of the hills were rutted out so wide and deep on the steep parts of the trail. My little buggy did not have the width or ground clearance to keep from bottoming out. We constantly had to stop and walk it out to determine the easiest/safest way to navigate those parts. It was challenging and fun and I enjoy doing some risky s*** sometimes. But with the limited amount of time we had, I was hoping for a more leisurely ride with some cool scenery. Perhaps if we ever go back I will try to hook up with someone that knows their way around the place better. But it did seem to me that the trails were very poorly maintained. They obviously are making a ton of money, maybe they could do a little work to the trails every now and then. Just my impression...we did not ride the whole thing so maybe there are other parts of it that are better.
Well.. the p5 isn’t ideal for that type of stuff. I had one my first trip and it sucked! Lol..

Reactions: Koda and sharp
J

JTW

One of my buddies just sent me this.. might be useful but I haven’t checked it out.
188BEF97 31F8 458E 95C5 735FA7BA0396

Reactions: sharp
Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
FYI on Hatfield McCoy...I believe permits are valid til December 31 of the year they are purchased. And permits are required for driver and passengers. And I think they cost around $ 50 each. Something to consider for those who don’t already have a 2017 permit...if you get a permit now it’s only good for a couple months. If you wait til January 1, it’s good for a whole year and trust me you will want to go back. I love it down there. $ 50 is a bargain if you use it 2 or 3 times or more. Not so much if you only use it once.

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp and JTW
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Yeah, there is definitely two types of riding, technical and leisure. If it's just me and the boys I'd go for technical but not if the wife is with me. If I were to lay it over and have her with me she may not ever want to ride again. Seems like you don't get to take in too much scenery on any group I've been on so far.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!