Burping

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My '18 P1K ran hot a couple of times in past 2 yrs. The last day a Mulberry it became much worse. Thanks @joeymt33 and @snuffnwhisky on the detailed instructions on burping the beast. I got her done today, but now I am nearly 100% water in it, and will need to drain half of it out to add coolant. A lot belched out while raised up with cap off and water hose running into it for over 40 min. Killed it, capped it and run HARD on gravel road, then slow and idle while stopping on RR track ...... total 20 min, still on 2 bars. ?Question? ........ how do I go about draining and adding the coolant while making sure I do not allow any air back into the system??? I have not checked yet but I assume it has a drain petcock just as most other radiators do. Anyone know how much (volume) of coolant the system holds? If I simply kill the engine, remove cap, open petcock and drain half out, before refilling with straight coolant ...... should I still be in good shape or likely to have trapped air pockets??? Do I need to have machine raised again before draining/adding?

Last edited:
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My '18 P1K ran hot a couple of times in past 2 yrs. The last day a Mulberry it became much worse. Thanks @joeymt33 and @snuffnwhisky on the detailed instructions on burping the beast. I got her done today, but now I am nearly 100% water in it, and will need to drain half of it out to add coolant. ?Question? ........ how do I go about draining and adding the coolant while making sure I do not allow any air back into the system??? I have not checked yet but I assume it has a drain petcock just as most other radiators do. Anyone know how much (volume) of coolant the system holds? If I simply kill the engine, remove cap, open petcock and drain half out, before refilling with straight coolant ...... should I still be in good shape or likely to have trapped air pockets??? Do I need to have machine raised again before draining/adding?

Read the bottom of this thread: P1000 - P1k Cooling modifications

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
My '18 P1K ran hot a couple of times in past 2 yrs. The last day a Mulberry it became much worse. Thanks @joeymt33 and @snuffnwhisky on the detailed instructions on burping the beast. I got her done today, but now I am nearly 100% water in it, and will need to drain half of it out to add coolant. A lot belched out while raised up with cap off and water hose running into it for over 40 min. Killed it, capped it and run HARD on gravel road, then slow and idle while stopping on RR track ...... total 20 min, still on 2 bars. ?Question? ........ how do I go about draining and adding the coolant while making sure I do not allow any air back into the system??? I have not checked yet but I assume it has a drain petcock just as most other radiators do. Anyone know how much (volume) of coolant the system holds? If I simply kill the engine, remove cap, open petcock and drain half out, before refilling with straight coolant ...... should I still be in good shape or likely to have trapped air pockets??? Do I need to have machine raised again before draining/adding?
3.4 quarts total. I would use one of the ball testers first and see where its at. U could siphon out through the radiator cap.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
3.4 quarts total. I would use one of the ball testers first and see where its at. U could siphon out through the radiator cap.
I have a stupid question, could you connect a refrigeration evacuator to the radiator to pull the air out and keep filling the reservoir?

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It appears as clear as water, no color to it at all. It ran about 40 min while shooting out and continual adding water back. IF I can siphon 1.5-2 qts of water out and replace with coolant then there should not be any problem with causing more air pockets???

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Can you give me the brand & model # sounds like a oxymoron, I would like to have one you have it handy. I can Google it!
Ok duh! put a vacuum on the radiator, pull antifreeze solution through bottom side of motor to thermostat ( will vacuum open thermostat ) sounds like that should work? Wet vac work?

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
While in Colorado @Hondasxs backed mine up on my trailer ramps. Removed lower hose and drained water. Then turned machine around and put nose up and added 50/50 mixture until it stopped bubbling.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While in Colorado @Hondasxs backed mine up on my trailer ramps. Removed lower hose and drained water. Then turned machine around and put nose up and added 50/50 mixture until it stopped bubbling.
I feel confident I have all the air out of it. It did not get above 2 bars yesterday. To get half the water out and replace with coolant, I think I will lift the front end again and try to siphon the water. If that don't work, I will start the engine and let apprx half of it boil out and hopefully without getting air pockets.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Can you give me the brand & model # sounds like a oxymoron, I would like to have one you have it handy. I can Google it!
I had one made by Cornwell tools when I was working at the shop. Used it every time when doing head gaskets,water pumps,radiators,etc.

Reactions: Smitty335
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got the water level down far enough to add nearly a qt of the blue coolant to the radiator and overflow jug. I ran it for about 40 min and never got above 2 bars on the temp. I feel 99% confident I am good as for as worrying about air pockets. The test that showed freezing point bounced between 0 to -10*, which is plenty good for now at home, I will add more later. I will take it to Brookhaven tomorrow to get the reflash done for the fan update.:D
6416d259e5c7d95fb7511945f84a6e3e

Last edited:
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I got the water level down far enough to add nearly a qt of the blue coolant to the radiator and overflow jug. I ran it for about 40 min and never got above 2 bars on the temp. I feel 99% confident I am good as for as worrying about air pockets. The test that showed freezing point bounced between 0 to -10*, which is plenty good for now at home, I will add more later. I will take it to Brookhaven tomorrow to get the reflash done for the fan.:D
View attachment 188138
Good to hear, hopefully that fixes the problem.

Reactions: BigOL3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!