HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Wish the heater was an option here! With less than 10 days a year that the temps dip below 32° overnight, And normally 30+ days over 100°. The heater is out!.
Same here! Interested in seeing how Kilo's custom setup works out.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
RockRain

RockRain

Sep 2, 2018
UT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
20180207 215537

For the record I have just shy of 600 miles on mine and have never had any overheating issues. I took it out for its first trip and had a good time. Started on my dual battery setup and dropped a small screwdriver down the intake tube. Had to pull the seat out and get to it that way. When I pulled the seat off I found the clamps just dangling there, never got tightened. Glad I caught that early on. I had them do the update and I have been on a couple trips since then and it seems like it runs cooler because I haven't been able to get over 2 bars where before I had programming it would hit 3 occasionally.

Reactions: Tramguage1
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I found out the fan on the Talon comes on at 222 degs and off at 220 degs. There is also a maximum time on of 10 min, not sure how that works though. I imagine the Pioneer is similar.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I found out the fan on the Talon comes on at 222 degs and off at 220 degs. There is also a maximum time on of 10 min, not sure how that works though. I imagine the Pioneer is similar.
So if it cant achieve 220 in 10 minutes time you will never catch up!!!!!!!

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wish the heater was an option here! With less than 10 days a year that the temps dip below 32° overnight, And normally 30+ days over 100°. The heater is out!.

Have you considered changing the antifreeze ratio in your coolant?

Glycol is not as good of carrier of heat as is straight water.

I’m not suggesting eliminating antifreeze, just adjusting the percentage. Right now I believe the factory mix is rated for -40 or some crazy low number.

At your temps a 25% mix (75% water) would be more than adequate freeze protection and still provide corrosion protection. Just have to be careful and watch the thermometer.

Reactions: Haldog77 and JTW
H

HappyCamper

Feb 15, 2020
Wyo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After reading this thread, the question I have is what is this "burping" you're all talking about nd how do ya do it?

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
After reading this thread, the question I have is what is this "burping" you're all talking about nd how do ya do it?
Raise the front end, i.e. park on a hill, remove the radiator cap and let it run for 15 - 20min. If there is air in the system it can start blowing it out so be careful. Keep topping off the radiator until it stops. Run it around some, let it cool off and recheck on level ground. Mine was blowing coolant 6'+ in the air after about 10 min of waiting.

H

HappyCamper

Feb 15, 2020
Wyo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a go.

Reactions: TripleB
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh overheating problems huh, well let me tell you I have fought and fought these problems over the last 4 years. Some things that have helped the vent I cut in the bumper helps a lot until you encounter a lot if mud, a real coil cleaner that makes your skin feel like it’s melting also is helpful to use sparingly, the mostly helpful so far is having a fan override it’s helps tremendously and for most people will alleviate most the troubles.

The facts are under optimal operating parameters the radiator is just enough, but if you add such outside factors as, high elevation, dirt in radiator, abnormally high temperature ambient, aftermarket bumpers that disturb air flow, IGR or ecu that cause higher RPMs then the radiator can not keep up.

The size of the radiator is to small, the fan is to small and underpowered, the shroud isn’t much of a shroud and the fan algorithm often times kicks the fan on to late to combat the heat.

I am having a radiator made at this time that will be much larger, much easier to clean with a shroud and significantly more powerful spal fan because I am tired of looking at bars instead of riding. That being said for a normal user if you could just add a better fan, or a real shroud in conjunction with the over ride you would probably be fine.

There is defiantly an art to burping them as well take the cap off wait awhile the moment you look is generally when the damn thing will spew radiator fluid 6 foot in the air. The weird part is a lot of times what comes out isn’t even that hot
(Thankfully cause I have got a face full twice) cause the top part has cooled off but the bottom is still boiling.

As soon as that radiator combo becomes available I will release more I about it.
Did you get the new system installed? If so, what was the outcome?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know @Kilo427 is working with someone on a radiator/shroud mod. I also will be swapping out my fan for one of these.2016-2019 HONDA PIONEER 1000 SPAL HIGH PERFORMANCE COOLING FAN 19030-HL4-A01 | eBay. Also I think this is a must do on all P1ks Cooling Fan Override for Honda Pioneer 1000 models..Its just to inexpensive a mod not to do.

Did you install the Spal fan? How did it work? I tried contacting UPI and they did not get back to me. I'm curious what the difference in air flow is between this fan and stock

Reactions: Pilgrim and BigOL3
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Did you install the Spal fan? How did it work? I tried contacting UPI and they did not get back to me. I'm curious what the difference in air flow is between this fan and stock
No sir I havent jumped in that project yet. Life happens and I just havent had time to get to it yet. Now it's almost TO time.😔

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well sports fans..... I installed the fan override and then haven’t put many hours on the machine.....
took it to Colorado last week and on a easy but steady twenty minute uphill at less than 40 degree ambient temp.... my light came on.... didn’t boil over and I was at the top of the climb so I don’t know if it would have or not.....
I was hoping to go back to this thread and see where someone had found a proper radiator install or some thing to fix it......
I am about to decide my windshield washer jug and pump is the best fix.....
I purchased a Wolverine this spring and it has an actual temperature readout.... instead of three bars and a light....
it runs hotter than I would have thought but no red light or overheat......does Honda just have too low a setting on their red light??
has anyone tried a higher pressure Radiator cap?..
I still stick with my opinion of marginal system at best and not up to typical Honda engineering standards......

J

JTW

Well sports fans..... I installed the fan override and then haven’t put many hours on the machine.....
took it to Colorado last week and on a easy but steady twenty minute uphill at less than 40 degree ambient temp.... my light came on.... didn’t boil over and I was at the top of the climb so I don’t know if it would have or not.....
I was hoping to go back to this thread and see where someone had found a proper radiator install or some thing to fix it......
I purchased a Wolverine this spring and it has an actual temperature readout.... instead of three bars and a light....
it runs hotter than I would have thought but no red light or overheat......does Honda just have too low a setting on their red light??
I still stick with my opinion of marginal system at best and not up to typical Honda engineering standards......
Marginal cooling system is 100% accurate!!

G

golfer1

Mar 1, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Has anyone tried a supplement radiator like the ones you see in front of you car or truck radiator? Seems it would add more cooling surface and increase coolant amount.

H

HappyCamper

Feb 15, 2020
Wyo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
? Never heard of a supplemental radiator.

H

HappyCamper

Feb 15, 2020
Wyo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A higher pressure radiator cap will do nothing for the heating problem. It just raises the temperature at which the coolant boils, the heat or, in this case the overheat, will still be there.

G

golfer1

Mar 1, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
supplement radiator something like this. I know its a oil cooler but probably could be use with anti freeze as well. Look under second radiator cooler. Also summit racing has a oil cooler that could possible work. Tried to post a lin k but not smart enough.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!