P1000 P1k Cooling modifications

Tbee

Tbee

Apr 13, 2018
DFW
Ownership

1. 500
There must be some Colorado members that could chime in on this. Do any of y'all know of any you have corresponded with?

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What surprises me... is how little water it takes sprayed on the radiator to bring it right down.....
it seems that these new radiators just don’t transfer heat in normal circumstances
And that’s probably all due to the gap in the shroud. Granted, several of the issues have been air in the system, but if there was no air and a proper shroud, I bet we wouldn’t be seeing any issues at all, no matter where it’s being ridden.

Reactions: popeye and JTW
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Oh overheating problems huh, well let me tell you I have fought and fought these problems over the last 4 years. Some things that have helped the vent I cut in the bumper helps a lot until you encounter a lot if mud, a real coil cleaner that makes your skin feel like it’s melting also is helpful to use sparingly, the mostly helpful so far is having a fan override it’s helps tremendously and for most people will alleviate most the troubles.

The facts are under optimal operating parameters the radiator is just enough, but if you add such outside factors as, high elevation, dirt in radiator, abnormally high temperature ambient, aftermarket bumpers that disturb air flow, IGR or ecu that cause higher RPMs then the radiator can not keep up.

The size of the radiator is to small, the fan is to small and underpowered, the shroud isn’t much of a shroud and the fan algorithm often times kicks the fan on to late to combat the heat.

I am having a radiator made at this time that will be much larger, much easier to clean with a shroud and significantly more powerful spal fan because I am tired of looking at bars instead of riding. That being said for a normal user if you could just add a better fan, or a real shroud in conjunction with the over ride you would probably be fine.

There is defiantly an art to burping them as well take the cap off wait awhile the moment you look is generally when the damn thing will spew radiator fluid 6 foot in the air. The weird part is a lot of times what comes out isn’t even that hot
(Thankfully cause I have got a face full twice) cause the top part has cooled off but the bottom is still boiling.

As soon as that radiator combo becomes available I will release more I about it.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
No different fan different radiator from what I can see

Reactions: TripleB
Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Not that I have heard of have to have some talon owners feedback on it.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a Talon that I did not take to Colorado. It has not overheated. Spoke to 3 owners in Colorado and no one mentioned overheating.

dommieboy

dommieboy

Jun 19, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had mine overheat at about 8500ft, I was going down hill. Not on the gas just letting the machine pull itself down in 1st gear. I stopped at the dealer on my way home and got the fan/ecu update, but I'm guessing I will need to bleed the system to be safe.

Is the fan upgrade (the spal fan) that Kilo427 talking about a plug and play sort of thing?

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I had mine overheat at about 8500ft, I was going down hill. Not on the gas just letting the machine pull itself down in 1st gear. I stopped at the dealer on my way home and got the fan/ecu update, but I'm guessing I will need to bleed the system to be safe.

Is the fan upgrade (the spal fan) that Kilo427 talking about a plug and play sort of thing?
Lol.. yeah, it’s plug and play

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Well the goal for that radiator and fan is to fit where factory does, I don't know how plug and play I would call that since you will have to remove a few things to get there. Now the fan override on Hondasxs side is plug and play and very easy. I have seen some doing a swap with only the spal fan as well but I am fairly certain you have to remove quite a bit off the front to do that.

dommieboy

dommieboy

Jun 19, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cool thanks, I just don't want to get stuff taken apart to find out I need a few more things to make it happen. I'm new to all this and convincing the wife that I need to spend a little money so we don't overheat again is one thing. Convincing her that I need 2-3 hours to install it all is a different story.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Cool thanks, I just don't want to get stuff taken apart to find out I need a few more things to make it happen. I'm new to all this and convincing the wife that I need to spend a little money so we don't overheat again is one thing. Convincing her that I need 2-3 hours to install it all is a different story.
Lol if you cant get off the leash for 2-3 hrs you better just get the fan override switch. I anticipate the radiator and fan upgrade will take me 4-6 hrs minimum and that's if I can get my brother to lend me a hand.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Lol if you cant get off the leash for 2-3 hrs you better just get the fan override switch. I anticipate the radiator and fan upgrade will take me 4-6 hrs minimum and that's if I can get my brother to lend me a hand.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fair assessment

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
dommieboy

dommieboy

Jun 19, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Facebook? people still use that? I thought the trend was retro and Myspace was the cool thing again.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yep and everyone is using ICQ to message everybody again crazy world.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As silly as it sounds, adding a heater to your Pioneer is a really, really easy way to add cooling capacity to you rig.

If you have an aftermarket heater like I do, you can have the ducts disconnected and pointed exterior of rig or leave it hooked up like I do.

When the ambient temps get high and I’m putting around a trail on low range, I’ll turn my heater on to help out the cooling system. It’s easy to do, works in the winter and beats the heck out of being broke down on the side of the trail overheated.

Also nice for those rides when it’s borderline chilly in the morning and the wife is bent out of shape because of it.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
As silly as it sounds, adding a heater to your Pioneer is a really, really easy way to add cooling capacity to you rig.

If you have an aftermarket heater like I do, you can have the ducts disconnected and pointed exterior of rig or leave it hooked up like I do.

When the ambient temps get high and I’m putting around a trail on low range, I’ll turn my heater on to help out the cooling system. It’s easy to do, works in the winter and beats the heck out of being broke down on the side of the trail overheated.

Also nice for those rides when it’s borderline chilly in the morning and the wife is bent out of shape because of it.
Like I stated in another thread, not to over think this. I used the fan override switch and it did the trick, and like u said, an aftermarket heater cuz of the heater core helps. I later opened the valves to mine and it helped also. If I turned the heater on usually in the evenings, I most certainly didn’t need the aftermarket fan switch. Doesn't happen in the lower elevation unless I plugged the thing up with mud. It’s pressure pressure pressure But..what do I know?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!