P1000 P1k Cooling modifications

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
supplement radiator something like this. I know its a oil cooler but probably could be use with anti freeze as well. Look under second radiator cooler. Also summit racing has a oil cooler that could possible work. Tried to post a lin k but not smart enough.
As someone mentioned earlier,add a heater core, it’s just a small radiator add on.where u decide to deflect the hot air to is up to u.either that or install the oversized radiator!

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A higher pressure radiator cap will do nothing for the heating problem. It just raises the temperature at which the coolant boils, the heat or, in this case the overheat, will still be there.
I am not in any way an engineer or smart guy..... but my thoughts are that if it doesn’t boil over I don’t care how hot it gets..... I do not know the definition of overheating other than a red light comes on.... or it boils out fluid....
it seems to me that today’s engines and synthetic oils don’t know the difference in 212 and 340 degrees..... but if the red light comes on at 265 or so then I feel obligated to shut er down and see what is happening.....
hence my theory that higher pressure cap would allow another fifty degrees before boiling over.....
then we just need to recalibrate the red light sensor......
I guess no one will ever buy a used machine from me after this post....

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rode the alpine loop 2 days ago and it happened to me twice. Any good fixes yet?
I had issues with both my 2016 and my 2018 machines getting too hot. The fix for me was a Spal radiator fan, a fan override switch and a PV3. My fan comes on at 200 and off at 190. I typically run around 187f. If I know I'm going to run it hard, I flip on the fan with the manual switch. I also have an underseat fan and that keeps your butt a little cooler.

My PV3 tune definitely makes the machine more fun to drive and keeps the machine running cooler.

D

Dieselburg

Apr 17, 2018
Liberty Twp, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had issues with both my 2016 and my 2018 machines getting too hot. The fix for me was a Spal radiator fan, a fan override switch and a PV3. My fan comes on at 200 and off at 190. I typically run around 187f. If I know I'm going to run it hard, I flip on the fan with the manual switch. I also have an underseat fan and that keeps your butt a little cooler.

My PV3 tune definitely makes the machine more fun to drive and keeps the machine running cooler.
Thanks for the reply! I just ordered the override switch, I’ll look into the PV3 tune.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!