can't decide on a machine

Bmurray

Bmurray

Lifetime Member
May 6, 2021
Missouri but soon to be Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X
After selling my Talon, I'm have a tough time trying to decide on a which new Pioneer to purchase. I really like and leaning towards the 1000-5 deluxe, however the 520 has really sparked my interest. I know this will be a loaded question, but what's everyone's personal +/- of each machine. Especially of those that have owned both.

Thanks,
Bob

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
After selling my Talon, I'm have a tough time trying to decide on a which new Pioneer to purchase. I really like and leaning towards the 1000-5 deluxe, however the 520 has really sparked my interest. I know this will be a loaded question, but what's everyone's personal +/- of each machine. Especially of those that have owned both.

Thanks,
Bob
What kind of trails you ride?

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Thanks,
Bob
@Russ989

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The 1000 has turf mode, an open rear differential for lawns and pavement, not sure if the 500/520 does or not.

I’ll rarely be on pavement but I still dislike the locked rear end on my Talon R during any sharp turns, especially on hardpack. Other than that it’s a good match for my 70+ yo butt. :cool:

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4

Thanks,
Bob
Never heard of a guy going from a Talon to a P5…….😂😂😂😂😂

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks,
Bob
Well, I’ve had all three Pioneers and here are my thoughts:

Pioneer 500/520
There is no denying that it’s a space saver and it shares a lot of the Foreman DNA. They’ve made it a better machine by adding the bed in this last round of upgrades, the rack was functional but not the best. It’s a little goat and does well with its 5-speed gear box, no speed demon though. The biggest cons are the lack of space and storage in the cab accompanied by the rough ride due to the suspension.

Pioneer 1000-5
It’s not a Talon but it’s one of the best utility SXS’s around. The power steering is good, the engine produces plenty of power for the stock tire size and it does well of fuel consumption. The ride quality is hands down better than the 520 and there is more leg and shoulder room available in the cab. The jump seats in the back are great for kids or small adults and you have that bench seat up front for three people. It gets around great in turf mode but gives you the option of full diff lock if needed. The cons are the heat the engine puts out being centered in the machine…….this is a complaint I’ve heard over and over but it’s never really bothered me. The other down side is servicing the machine, it can be a pain for the mechanically challenged individual and could have been designed better. I have no issues but I work on a lot of equipment, tractors, etc. I hope this helps.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Talon was a dumb impulse buy for me. Really not the right machine. Most likely a 1000-5 but just wondering what my forum buddies thought.
What didn’t the Talon do that you wanted? Did you need more seating? Was it an X and rode too rough? The answers might help point us in the right direction.

Bmurray

Bmurray

Lifetime Member
May 6, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X
X live valve. Super nice machine. but no room for the dogs. After my really bad dirt bike accident and wheel chair time two years ago, the speed need in me is gone. Stopped racing dirt bikes and quads some years ago. I’ve had a few sxs prior, rhino, ranger and then the Talon.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Talon is superior to the Pioneer…🤷‍♂️
Depends on your point of view.

For race and track for sure. Trail riding to me is debatable depending on what type of trail your on.

For working around a farm / acreage / hunting / hauling / ice fishing most definitely not.

Good luck putting a 80 gallon sprayer tank in a Talon to spray pastures with.

If you do lots of different things and are okay with a jack of all trades / master of none machine, the P1k / P1k5 is a fine machine.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
X live valve. Super nice machine. but no room for the dogs. After my really bad dirt bike accident and wheel chair time two years ago, the speed need in me is gone. Stopped racing dirt bikes and quads some years ago. I’ve had a few sxs prior, rhino, ranger and then the Talon.
Sounds like a Pioneer 1000 or 1000-5 is more what you might like. Lots of people use the 1000-5 with the side nets and rear soft panel to bring their dogs with them.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Depends on your point of view.
The Talon has superior horsepower and suspension travel, to name a couple points, But I think the honda line up is all fine, and I have them all. My comment was directed at bmurray who didn’t say anything about farm work or hunting…😊

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bmurray

Bmurray

Lifetime Member
May 6, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X
We hunt, fish, trail ride and remote camp with the dogs. Mostly used the old Rhino for this but was sold when we sold our farm. The Talon's good for some people but was useless for us. At least I recouped all of my money. Wife wants a 1000-5 so we can pack the dogs or some guest. Thanks for all of the replies.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!