TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Posting this for general information and to expand one's general knowledge.

It may be of no use to most people.

This might be useful to a hunter trying to retrieve what they've harvested where they can't drive right up beside, or beyond their conventional winch cable will reach (and don't possess any winch cable extension(s).

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Posting this for general information and to expand one's general knowledge.

It may be of no use to most people.

This might be useful to a hunter trying to retrieve what they've harvested where they can't drive right up beside, or beyond their conventional winch cable will reach (and don't possess any winch cable extension(s).

Is this winch continuous duty?

Reactions: Remington
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Is this winch continuous duty?
Yes, but capstan winches are usually less powerful than a standard winch. This one said 2200lbs. The only benefit to this style winch is you can use any length rope you want but you need to keep some tension on the rope being payed out or it stops pulling.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

I've had one of these for a couple years now. Rarely use the winch on my P500 anymore. Great for tree work or critters down in a ravine.
Pretty cool! But its a pricy bugger!
Id could find better things to put that kind of coin to fo sho!

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is there such a thing as a continuous duty winch? I thought all winches (roughly this size) had duty cycles due to the heat generated when running hundreds of amps through small motors.
Not that I ever heard of with an electric winch.

But, those that use hydraulics, like the Mile Marker brand, are (using plumbing from the power steering)..... From friends that had them..... When is pulling, you can't turn the front wheels, when you turn the front wheels, it doesn't pull. Has good, instant, line breaking properties.

I never had one or used one

I don't know about the present and can't remember how far back... But the military did buy and install on some Humvees.

They also have used Warn 24 volt electric winches rated at 12,000 pounds. And, Warn Series 12 and Series 18 hydraulic winches rated at 18,000 pounds. I don't know what the standard is right now, or if they use different ones for different specific applications.

In Canada, they have used the WARN Series 20XL. This big, 20,000 lb. capacity hydraulic winch on the Navistar 7000-MV. Navistar was awarded a Canadian military contract for Military Commercial off the Shelf (MilCOTS) vehicles. Not sure what they use currently.

When I was growing up, my father had A-frame line trucks with PTO winches for setting telephone poles. In the floorboard, there was a lever. You put the truck's transmission in neutral, and used that lever to engage the PTO winch. The WWII deuce and a half trucks, you might see restored or sold as surplus, with a large winch on the front, are PTO winches. I believe most are Garwood 10,000 pound rated.

PTO winches that are powered by a vehicle's transmission gearbox will run as long as the engine is running, too.

Hope that didn't give anyone a headache or vertigo

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Yes, but capstan winches are usually less powerful than a standard winch. This one said 2200lbs.
True to a point. A standard 12V winch like our SXS winches are only more powerful until you get a few layers of rope on the spool. As more is spooled on, the pulling power is reduced. With these capstan winches, the pulling power is constant because you aren't winding rope onto the spool as you do with the standard winch.

Reactions: TxDoc and Remington
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
True to a point. A standard 12V winch like our SXS winches are only more powerful until you get a few layers of rope on the spool. As more is spooled on, the pulling power is reduced. With these capstan winches, the pulling power is constant because you aren't winding rope onto the spool as you do with the standard winch.
My guess is that a 4500lb winch on its outer most wrap would still out put a capstan if even only for a short time. Different applications. Like comparing a car to a jeep, they both do the same thing but very differently.

Reactions: TxDoc
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I do a lot of tree work. Makes life much safer. Lets me get 100' away from falling limbs. That makes it a bargain.
If it fits your bill for what your doin that's fantastic.
I just meant the average for UTVer its alot of cabbage to spend for a winch. They complain enough about the price of most upgraded shocks in that range 🤣

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I just meant the average for UTVer its alot of cabbage to spend for a winch. They complain enough about the price of most upgraded shocks in that range 🤣
I'm sure it won't be long before someone comes along and says, "I don't understand why Honda doesn't just include this on all SXSs." :D

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I can’t argue, but I’ve for that the older I get the more I’m willing to spend on safety. I don’t heal like I used too 🤔

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I can’t argue, but I’ve for that the older I get the more I’m willing to spend on safety. I don’t heal like I used too 🤔
I was installing Mudbusters on my Talon last SAT. At some point, for no specific reason, I started experiencing significant lower back pain. I had not fallen or stretched or hit it or anything - it was like it came out of nowhere. I couldn't walk for a day and a half. Went to work on MON even though it hurt like hell to stand up or sit down. Have been stretching, massaging, taking ibuprofen and a muscle relaxer, etc. often. Each day, it's getting better.

Damn, I hate getting old!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
My guess is that a 4500lb winch on its outer most wrap would still out put a capstan if even only for a short time. Different applications. Like comparing a car to a jeep, they both do the same thing but very differently.
I'm sure a Boeing 747 has more pulling power than a capstan winch, too, but that's irrelevant as well.

The most commonly recommended winch size is typically 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle. The curb weight (stock, full fluids and full tank of gas) of a 2023 1000-5 Deluxe is 1,720 pounds. Therefore, the industry recommended winch would be a 3500# winch, not a #4500 winch.

Winches loose roughly 10% of efficiency per wrap. For a 3500# winch, that means somewhere after just 3 wraps, you'll be down close to the same pulling efficiency as this specific capstan winch (2,200 pounds, IIRC).

Beyond all that, I don't believe most would consider purchasing this capstan winch as their ONLY winch - which is why it's shown in the video being used on the rear of the SXS.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm sure a Boeing 747 has more pulling power than a capstan winch, too, but that's irrelevant as well.

The most commonly recommended winch size is typically 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle. The curb weight (stock, full fluids and full tank of gas) of a 2023 1000-5 Deluxe is 1,720 pounds. Therefore, the industry recommended winch would be a 3500# winch, not a #4500 winch.

Winches loose roughly 10% of efficiency per wrap. For a 3500# winch, that means somewhere after just 3 wraps, you'll be down close to the same pulling efficiency as this specific capstan winch (2,200 pounds, IIRC).

Beyond all that, I don't believe most would consider purchasing this capstan winch as their ONLY winch - which is why it's shown in the video being used on the rear of the SXS.
When you throw in the conditions a recovery winch has to work in even the 3500 lb will do better while the mud covered capstan starts to slip and the 100' of rope is all tangled and wet getting drug along with the stuck vehicle, plus the operator has to keep up with position to keep tension . Capstans are cool and a very clever device but only when used as intended. A recovery winch can pull or be pulled along with the load, a Capstan winch is better suited for pulling something to it, makes rope management much easier.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm sure it won't be long before someone comes along and says, "I don't understand why Honda doesn't just include this on all SXSs." :D
"They should" include both or one that converts(without tools) to either type....😎

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!