Capstan Winch Info

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was installing Mudbusters on my Talon last SAT. At some point, for no specific reason, I started experiencing significant lower back pain. I had not fallen or stretched or hit it or anything - it was like it came out of nowhere. I couldn't walk for a day and a half. Went to work on MON even though it hurt like hell to stand up or sit down. Have been stretching, massaging, taking ibuprofen and a muscle relaxer, etc. often. Each day, it's getting better.

Damn, I hate getting old!
They say "getting old is better than the alternative " but some days I question that.

Reactions: TxDoc
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
When you throw in the conditions a recovery winch has to work in even the 3500 lb will do better while the mud covered capstan starts to slip and the 100' of rope is all tangled and wet getting drug along with the stuck vehicle, plus the operator has to keep up with position to keep tension . Capstans are cool and a very clever device but only when used as intended. A recovery winch can pull or be pulled along with the load, a Capstan winch is better suited for pulling something to it, makes rope management much easier.
If one is too stupid or too uncoordinated to use a capstan winch, then one should continue using whatever is easiest.

However, that still doesn't change the math.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
"They should" include both or one that converts(without tools) to either type....😎
Sure, add all the "should haves" you have suggested over the months.

I'm sure everyone will rush out to buy a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 with an MSRP of $60,000.00.

Duh.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sure, add all the "should haves" you have suggested over the months.

I'm sure everyone will rush out to buy a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 with an MSRP of $60,000.00.

Duh.
It was a joke. That shoulda been obvious.....duh
I've been off roading for quite some time and have never seen a capstand winch being used for recovery purposes.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I've been off roading for quite some time and have never seen a capstand winch being used for recovery purposes.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!