P500 Carrying Extra Water and Fuel for the ride in the P5

D

Deleted member 3748

I'm trying to find a spot to mount a Rotopax and I'm hesitant to mount it to the roll cage behind the seats. There was a guy up here who rolled, caught fire and his can sprayed fuel all over him ending in tragedy. I think it was a regular plastic can. I know the Rotopax are tough but what are your opinions on mounting them close to passengers?

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm trying to find a spot to mount a Rotopax and I'm hesitant to mount it to the roll cage behind the seats. There was a guy up here who rolled, caught fire and his can sprayed fuel all over him ending in tragedy. I think it was a regular plastic can. I know the Rotopax are tough but what are your opinions on mounting them close to passengers?[/QUOTE]
About the worst possible place.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm trying to find a spot to mount a Rotopax and I'm hesitant to mount it to the roll cage behind the seats. There was a guy up here who rolled, caught fire and his can sprayed fuel all over him ending in tragedy. I think it was a regular plastic can. I know the Rotopax are tough but what are your opinions on mounting them close to passengers?
Four years now, 3,000 Miles, and not a single time have I used my spare gas. I average 50-75 miles a day. And have never done it’s range of 130 miles. Haven’t been able to discontinue packing it for some reason, but clearly I don’t even need to pack extra fuel.

D

Deleted member 3748

Four years now, 3,000 Miles, and not a single time have I used my spare gas. I average 50-75 miles a day. And have never done it’s range of 130 miles. Haven’t been able to discontinue packing it for some reason, but clearly I don’t even need to pack extra fuel.
The p5 gets decent mpg during normal riding, but 4wd in deep sand and you burn through the tank in about 60 miles.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The p5 gets decent mpg during normal riding, but 4wd in deep sand and you burn through the tank in about 60 miles.

True, or running 30 + mph for extended periods. Also seems like the fuel gauge on the P5 is a lot like a Chevy, like you're getting great gas mileage when it's full and it takes forever to even register that you're burning it. Once it falls below full it seems to drop fast.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
True, or running 30 + mph for extended periods. Also seems like the fuel gauge on the P5 is a lot like a Chevy, like you're getting great gas mileage when it's full and it takes forever to even register that you're burning it. Once it falls below full it seems to drop fast.
Do you regularly have to use your storage fuel on the trail. I’ve never been on a trail here where you could hit 30 mph, let alone sustain it. It’s awesome how trails are so different from one region to another.

advertisement
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I have had to use my extra fuel twice, both times for motorcycles we came across in the middle of nowhere that were totally out of gas. One of the people even offered to buy the gas from me but I said no, after all he was from Arkansas so I felt sorry for him.
Start Some s Poster

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have had to use my extra fuel twice, both times for motorcycles we came across in the middle of nowhere that were totally out of gas. One of the people even offered to buy the gas from me but I said no, after all he was from Arkansas so I felt sorry for him.View attachment 83047
Lol Alan, that shouldn’t start any s*** at all, carrying for the other guy that may run out is very noble of you. Thumbs up!!!!!!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Do you regularly have to use your storage fuel on the trail. I’ve never been on a trail here where you could hit 30 mph, let alone sustain it. It’s awesome how trails are so different from one region to another.

No, I've never actually NEEDED it except for the last ride we went on and I didn't even have any in it. Went by the same gas station twice but they were out of fuel. Could've made it back at that point but we wanted to do more riding, @tr005 was carrying and hooked me up with a couple gallons. Tried to pay him but of course he wouldn't take it.
If we had been riding alone I would've had fuel in that can, but when you ride with the same group all the time you know someone's got your back on the one thing you're not carrying that day. We've had four guys and stuff thrown together from everyone's rig to get a brother out of a jam.
I wouldn't want to ride with anyone that wasn't that way. :cool:

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If we had been riding alone I would've had fuel in that can, but when you ride with the same group all the time you know someone's got your back on the one thing you're not carrying that day. We've had four guys and stuff thrown together from everyone's rig to get a brother out of a jam.
I wouldn't want to ride with anyone that wasn't that way. :cool:
Agreed with all that. The comradery on the trails I’ve been on with the group rides is pretty cool and I’ve seen them change a bent tie rod in the time it took to drink a beer or two.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Agreed with all that. The comradery on the trails I’ve been on with the group rides is pretty cool and I’ve seen them change a bent tie rod in the time it took to drink a beer or two.
Yes it is, when Walter bent his, no one had a tie rod for a 700, but we straightened it out enough for two more rides, HA!

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Better to have extra gas and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Therefore, always eat plenty of magic beans and cabbage.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Better to have extra gas and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Therefore, always eat plenty of magic beans and cabbage.
I agree! Only way you would have a possibility of running out of gas on our group rides, is you never shut your machine off during breaks, HA!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@trigger saved my muddy radiator cleanout with his water jug during Takeover. Came home and ordered fuel and water jugs, maybe I can pass on the favor to someone else in the future. Not a good feeling having red warning lights come on miles away from home base.

advertisement