BOX1

P500 Carrying your long gun

S

ScottG

Aug 31, 2018
Far North Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How are people carrying their long gun on P500s and P520s? I'm mostly interested in options for carrying my deer rifle in the enclosed cab. By enclosed, I mean hard roof, windshield and soft rear panel.
Saw these at an ATV Rally. Quite secure, versatile, and even a locking option. Check out the 1070 and 1070 with key.

Reactions: JCart and wvupsc
C

ckeele223

Apr 2, 2019
St. George, Utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
How are people carrying their long gun on P500s and P520s? I'm mostly interested in options for carrying my deer rifle in the enclosed cab. By enclosed, I mean hard roof, windshield and soft rear panel.

wvupsc, I chose to buy the Kolpin gun boots and mount them outside on the roll bar just above and behind the two front doors, out of the way, they stay clean out of the dust etc. etc.

Reactions: Swampdog and wvupsc
wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Check out the Seizmik Gun Holder. It works for me.
That looks like a well made, top of the line accessory. If I hunted as much as I used to I would likely give that a try. Not sure if I want to invest $200 for using it 1-3 days per year, which is what I normally hunt nowadays.

Edit: I replied to wrong post... I was referring to ScottG's Blac-Rac recommendation.

B

BWHunter

Nov 2, 2020
WI
Ownership

1. 500
I've been considering one of those. Does it fit on the inside, above the headrests? Or does it have to go on the outside? Not sure how it will work with the rear panel and roof if it's on the outside. And will the roof dump a stream of water on it when it rains?
I've got a set up like this. The two gun case will not fit above the headrests. The case is long enough to be just wider than the frame by about 2" per side. The straps give you enough play that you could let the bottom hang down to the point the bottom will rest close to the top of your dump box. I haven't put a rear view mirror in my 500 yet but I think there is enough space above the case that you would at least be able to see trees in the mirror while backing up, but the case will probably block the view of the box. You will need to loosen some of the straps on your soft back to strap in the case but it works well.

I have not noticed the Honda roof dumping water down the back onto the case, and the case has enough water repellancy to shed all but heavy amounts of moisture. Revive it with some repellant spray every couple years and you shouldn't have any issues.

Reactions: wvupsc
wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I've got a set up like this. The two gun case will not fit above the headrests. The case is long enough to be just wider than the frame by about 2" per side. The straps give you enough play that you could let the bottom hang down to the point the bottom will rest close to the top of your dump box. I haven't put a rear view mirror in my 500 yet but I think there is enough space above the case that you would at least be able to see trees in the mirror while backing up, but the case will probably block the view of the box. You will need to loosen some of the straps on your soft back to strap in the case but it works well.

I have not noticed the Honda roof dumping water down the back onto the case, and the case has enough water repellancy to shed all but heavy amounts of moisture. Revive it with some repellant spray every couple years and you shouldn't have any issues.
Very helpful...thanks.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
here is a picture of my overhead Great Day rack.
Gunrack
Gunrack

dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
I had mounted Koplin behind the cab but wanted the guns inside the cab so I went with Great Day and they work well. I can fit my AR 308 with can and scope. I couldn't come up with a good way to use the Koplins inside with a roof.

C

cajunbowhunter

Apr 23, 2014
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a 700, but I went with the Gator Grip (link to site below) behind the driver's headrest. I have been more than pleased with it. It holds my rifles, bow, machete, pretty much any other tool...

I researched a number of options and rolled the dice selecting this one. Extremely simple and effective.

F0339bd8ba7301763599968880d0bd47
3a9f9b880a7b8a5458155194c6213326

K

KimberproSS

Jul 16, 2019
Mount Vernon, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That looks like a well made, top of the line accessory. If I hunted as much as I used to I would likely give that a try. Not sure if I want to invest $200 for using it 1-3 days per year, which is what I normally hunt nowadays.

Edit: I replied to wrong post... I was referring to ScottG's Blac-Rac recommendation.
Yep, I don't think the Seizmik was quite that much, but still a little pricey. I have a farm I tool around on with my dog so two seats in front OK most of the time and when I hunt, one passenger is the norm also. It is easy access, quick to get to for that occasional Coyote.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for showing options fellas. For my usage I’ve typically carried mine on the seat, muzzle to the floor with shorter rigs (short barrel lever guns etc), to keep the dust and keerap off them just throw a coat (rain jacket) over them.
With my other models that I want clean I have a Koplin hard plastic case bungeed into the rear box. works good so far.

Really like the Blac-Rac and could see having that under the roof or on rear inside cab. Just wondering what you guys do to minimize dust intrusion... often time when I’m done ridding all my gear is covered in thick dust and grit.

MtClimber500

MtClimber500

Supporting Member
Nov 21, 2020
Butte, Mt
Ownership

1. 500
I use a rigid softcase designed for horse use that you can buy at Murdochs. I mount it right behind the cab or behind the storage box. It will take any size scoped rifle. Much better than hard plastic Koplins. Keeps rifle totally dry and is easy to get rifle out. Comes with attachment straps on it. Is well made and tough because it is made for packing on horses.

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I added my kolpin to my back rack setup. It's nestled in and feels pretty protected in there. I have the slide in locking base on it so installing and removing the boot takes about 3 seconds. I went this route as I did not want my gun to get dusty being in the cab with me.
20210411 174058
20210411 174039

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
what brand of soft doors do you have? I am trying to sort out which windshield, roof and doors to get, and doors seem a bit hard to locate. do they even make hard doors for the 520?
I've got the Honda 520 specific doors - I had the dealer order them when I put the deposit on the machine. Going to attempt to install them this weekend...the instructions don't look to be super helpful, so we will see how it goes.

I looked quite a bit for hard-door options, but the only thing I could find was Alumilite and I didn't want to fork out the coin....

Reactions: sleepybear
GROR

GROR

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 15, 2021
Castle Dale, Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Anyone try this rack...Big Sky Racks SBR-2G-UTV Dual Gun ATV Skybar UTV Telescoping Rifle. Rackhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006FIFEDE/ref=ewc_pr_img_3?smid=A17NYHL87HI8BU&psc=1

Reactions: Smitty335
CajunSS

CajunSS

Jun 6, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I have the Big Sky SBR-1G Single Gun, and I really like it. Ruger American Preditor 308 18" or My AR fits. My shotgun is too long to work well.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!