Talon Center Console Heat Mod - Keep Cup Holders Cooler

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I did a last-minute mod to the center console cup holders before this weekend's trip. After riding backroads I noticed the cupholders get HOT and wanted to keep my drinks cooler, if possible, so I added this Thermo-Tec adhesive aluminized heat barrier.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-13575-Adhesive-Aluminized-Barrier/dp/B00029KC2K?tag=sxsweb24-20

It used about half of the 12"x24" sheet and I tried using the remainder of it up around the shifter area, but there's not much to stick it to so I figured it would be short-lived and removed it.

Will report back after this long weekend trip and tell you how it does.

IMG 0598 IMG 0599

Reactions: stellarpod
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I did a last-minute mod to the center console cup holders before this weekend's trip. After riding backroads I noticed the cupholders get HOT and wanted to keep my drinks cooler, if possible, so I added this Thermo-Tec adhesive aluminized heat barrier.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-13575-Adhesive-Aluminized-Barrier/dp/B00029KC2K?tag=sxsweb24-20

It used about half of the 12"x24" sheet and I tried using the remainder of it up around the shifter area, but there's not much to stick it to so I figured it would be short-lived and removed it.

Will report back after this long weekend trip and tell you how it does.

View attachment 130590 View attachment 130591

I'll be interested in your post-ride report.

Steve

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'll be interested in your post-ride report.

Steve

I’m back from Brimstone and put on 130 trail miles this weekend. This is definitely a mod that’s worth the money. I use a Yeti koozie for cans as well as a Yeti tumbler for other drinks and had no issues with hot drinks.

Just make sure to add some drain holes if you choose to do it.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Feel certain that I'll be installing some similar insulating material in several places over time.

Steve

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
any tips on getting the 12 pins out that hold the center console (not the normal push pins??) Don't want to mark up prying on something.

thanks in advance

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
any tips on getting the 12 pins out that hold the center console (not the normal push pins??) Don't want to mark up prying on something.

thanks in advance

You can remove those by taking a punch the size of the center circle (or a little smaller) and push straight in on them. Then they should pull out after releasing the center pin.

I don’t care for that type of fastener so I simply replaced them with the normal push rivets that are found throughout the rest of the machine.

Reactions: stellarpod
B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
thanks, i will give it a try

All5Hondas

All5Hondas

Always Honda
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2019
Mountains
Ownership

1. Talon X
did this also, but only on bottom, will see if I need to bring it up the sides after Labor Day weekend riding

20190822 171723

tumbleweed

tumbleweed

Aug 6, 2017
North Platte, Nebraska
Ownership

1. Talon X
did this also, but only on bottom, will see if I need to bring it up the sides after Labor Day weekend riding

View attachment 150024
We were in the Black Hills last week and after a day riding I went to Ace Hardware and purchased a can of fire proof spray insulation. used two pieces of card board to secure the ends also put a screw about center of the cupholders on each side of the center console. Screws put in to eliminate the foam from possibly falling out as cup holders and sides are tapered on the console. Let set then cut excess foam away for cables to fit back in position. Must say for a quick fix I'm impressed how well it worked keeping heat away from the cup holders, another option for around $6.00.

advertisement
all4sho

all4sho

Apr 11, 2019
Byron, Ga
Ownership

1. Talon R
We were in the Black Hills last week and after a day riding I went to Ace Hardware and purchased a can of fire proof spray insulation. used two pieces of card board to secure the ends also put a screw about center of the cupholders on each side of the center console. Screws put in to eliminate the foam from possibly falling out as cup holders and sides are tapered on the console. Let set then cut excess foam away for cables to fit back in position. Must say for a quick fix I'm impressed how well it worked keeping heat away from the cup holders, another option for around $6.00.

any pics of spraying it? i like the idea

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!