P700 Charging system?

R

Rexter

Jul 7, 2018
Jacksonville, FL
Ownership

1. 700-2
Has anyone else noticed a drop a significant drop in voltage (from 14vdc to 13vdc) when they add an accessory like a light bar? I have read threads where people are adding dual batteries and bigger batteries and I can see how that would help but has anyone explored a better alternator? I mean, even with a dual battery/bigger battery the alternator can only put out so much. If the draw is greater than the supply, eventually...those batteries will die. I don't have a ridiculous load on the system, one 120watt/10amp light bar drops the charging system a volt? Has anyone heard of a larger upgrade alternator? Starting to wonder if I should look at the P1000's alternator (or any other one) to see if it puts out any more and if it could be retrofitted. If anyone knows anything...please share.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The problem is that the vast majority of ATV's/SxS's don't use a conventional "alternator" like a car. They use a device called a stator to perform the same function.

Problem is, the stator is located inside the engine, usually under or around the flywheel. So you have to break into the engine.
Then there is finding a higher output stator. Used to be a company called Ricky Stator that offered HO replacements for many, more popular machines. Prob other companies as well. If they don't, RS (if it still exists) would do cutom jobs back In the day.

The overall point being that while it might be possible, it's much more involved than buying a super high output alt for your Jeep. May not be worth the hassle to you.

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Generally speaking, the P700 puts out good electrical power from the engine charging system. I have a digital voltage meter on my dash and you are correct that it shows about 14.2 volts when at idle with no electrical draw. Mine has the power steering and you will see the voltage drop a little when moving the steering wheel back and forth fast, as the electric power steering motor kicks in. My voltage will drop some as I use my toggle switches to turn on accessories, the most draw being from the light bar. If I turn everything on, my sound system, lighted led whip antennas, light bar, headlights, ect. , it will drop to around 13.3 at idle.
I do not run a dual battery setup, but I do have a power distribution fuse block and 50 amp circuit breaker under the hood.
I have never had any issues with the battery or charging issues, but I don't usually have my accessories on without the motor running.

Reactions: swsebek and Mudwing
R

Rexter

Jul 7, 2018
Jacksonville, FL
Ownership

1. 700-2
The problem is that the vast majority of ATV's/SxS's don't use a conventional "alternator" like a car. They use a device called a stator to perform the same function.

Problem is, the stator is located inside the engine, usually under or around the flywheel. So you have to break into the engine.
Then there is finding a higher output stator. Used to be a company called Ricky Stator that offered HO replacements for many, more popular machines. Prob other companies as well. If they don't, RS (if it still exists) would do cutom jobs back In the day.

The overall point being that while it might be possible, it's much more involved than buying a super high output alt for your Jeep. May not be worth the hassle to you.
Yeah. Thought I’d heard about a stator. Probably not worth the trouble or cost. Thanks.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!