Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I would open it up as much as I could. Remove the old wire and solder a new one. But be sure not to obstruct the rubber garment seal area.

Good luck. OK off to bed.

Reactions: Tflynn
gatorguy

gatorguy

May 15, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I got her back up and running tonight! No CEL :D Thanks for your help @Hondasxs!

I must have lost quite a bit of wire as I had to remove a zip tire wire stay to make it reach easily. Reassembling the plug after soldering the wire onto the pins wasn't too bad except I had to remove some excess solder to make the pin fit back in plug.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
no problem my friend.
Awesome you got it fixed. Dealer would have charged you $200+.
I should have asked for some pics of your work. Oh well. Maybe next time... but hopefully not.

Also, I may pull this info about the plug disassembly out, it would be helpful as its own post.
C-ya.

gatorguy

gatorguy

May 15, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I can add a few pictures to the plug disassembly thread if you make one. I'm a little hesitant to brag until my repair holds up for a little while lol

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Put some dielectric grease inside the plug and it and it will hold forever.
Post them here. It will be Thursday before I split it. maybe

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Where was that plug at? And what might have ripped the wires from it you think?

gatorguy

gatorguy

May 15, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Where was that plug at? And what might have ripped the wires from it you think?
Its the IAT intake air temp sensor which is in the top of the air box towards the rear. I have no idea what might have caused the damage but I'm guessing a rodent or a rogue stick getting jammed up there somehow. The sensor and connecting wire stick straight up in the air so it would be really easy for something to get lodged between the frame and wire etc. I'll get some pictures tonight.

Reactions: Shadesmn
gatorguy

gatorguy

May 15, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Here's a few pictures of my repair -

When I started, I noticed the check engine light flashing 9 times which led me to the IAT sensor. It is located on the top of the air box which you can access from the the rear passenger wheel well
IMG 1666 zps62jtmpgq

Here's what my plug looked like. Literally no wire left on the backside of the plug.
IMG 1651 zpsfs3mhbak

Next, using @Hondasxs's advice I was able to dissasemble the plug by removing the grey spacer
IMG 1655 zpsmnlloqhg

Then removing the pins by holding down the pin catches with a small nail
IMG 1656 zpsgl0t4s2j

Here's what the pins look like once removed
IMG 1658 zpssubwreqp

The seafoam green are weather grommets that seal the wire in the plug. There is a small metal ring holding the rubber grommet seals in place. You can unwrap them using small need nose pliers or your finger nails. The grommets literally just slide on the wire.

Next you need to remove as much wire as possible to install the new wire. I was unable to undue the crimp so I planned on just soldering new wire on top of the old crimp.

This next part gets a little tricky if you don't have any extra hands. I stripped the remaining wire about 3/8" to use to reconnect to the pin. I slid in some of the stripped wire into the pin housing. I then soldered the wire on top of the old crimp location. It looks like this
IMG 1668 zpsxuppkeqe

To finish up, slowly insert your new pins into the plug. They should go into place rather easily. If there's any resistance, you may need to file off some extra solder or simply squeeze it with some pliers. Once you put the gray space back over top the pins you are good to go!

All props go to @Hondasxs for the technical know-how. I'm just sharing my tid bits and pictures.

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Here's a few pictures of my repair -

When I started, I noticed the check engine light flashing 9 times which led me to the IAT sensor. It is located on the top of the air box which you can access from the the rear passenger wheel well
View attachment 29157

Here's what my plug looked like. Literally no wire left on the backside of the plug.
View attachment 29158

Next, using @Hondasxs's advice I was able to dissasemble the plug by removing the grey spacer
View attachment 29159

Then removing the pins by holding down the pin catches with a small nail
View attachment 29160

Here's what the pins look like once removed
View attachment 29161

The seafoam green are weather grommets that seal the wire in the plug. There is a small metal ring holding the rubber grommet seals in place. You can unwrap them using small need nose pliers or your finger nails. The grommets literally just slide on the wire.

Next you need to remove as much wire as possible to install the new wire. I was unable to undue the crimp so I planned on just soldering new wire on top of the old crimp.

This next part gets a little tricky if you don't have any extra hands. I stripped the remaining wire about 3/8" to use to reconnect to the pin. I slid in some of the stripped wire into the pin housing. I then soldered the wire on top of the old crimp location. It looks like this
View attachment 29162

To finish up, slowly insert your new pins into the plug. They should go into place rather easily. If there's any resistance, you may need to file off some extra solder or simply squeeze it with some pliers. Once you put the gray space back over top the pins you are good to go!

All props go to @Hondasxs for the technical know-how. I'm just sharing my tid bits and pictures.
We have a cabin in the woods that we leave a tractor at, one week end went to use tractor no go. Rewired it and now we leave rat bait in, on it no more issues. I do this in my shop also. Gotta be pretty hungry to eat wire! HA!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!