P1000 Check your prefilter lid - gasket

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello friends,

I removed my prefilter to see exactly what was under there and to plan on removing the upper fins to install my fuse block eventually. I noticed the lid, prior to removing had a section of the foam lid gasket sticking out like a snake hiding under the lid. I removed the lid and saw another sign Honda is assembling these things as fast as possible. The gasket for the lid was out of the groove it should be in, and about 5 inches was not in the groove, causing a gap in the sealed lid.

I know the gasket probably doesn't do too much as the dust that could sneak in there is small enough to make it through the foam in the prefilter opening. So I took it off, dribbled a little Gorilla glue and carefully re installed it, but I put it in upside down. This let me have a better flat surface of the gasket to start a new seal. The other side of the gasket that already had a groove is facing down in the glue.

When I picked this up at the dealership new, the rear seat belt cover was dangling off as it wasn't attached correctly. Then I saw a plastic pop rivet on the passenger front fender above the wheel, was not in and the body panels were not lined up. This brought out a service tech a second time to force the 3 panels in line to get that rivet in.

After the machine was home, I removed the seat to see how it is done if I ever needed to. I saw one of the round rubber bumpers, that go over the metal frame post was pushed up into the seat cushion because it was not lined up when the seat was installed and forced down. I dug it out and put a little Vaseline on it to get a good fit over the post.

I can probably think of other smaller issues that are fit and finish failures, but this prefilter gasket was just another to add to the list. Repair #4 in 12 days of ownership.

Take a look at your new machine and see if you have these minor issues as I did, hopefully yours was made with more TLC than mine!

IMG 8398 IMG 8399 IMG 8402 IMG 8403

Last edited:
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hello friends,

I removed my prefilter to see exactly what was under there and to plan on removing the upper fins to install my fuse block eventually. I noticed the lid, prior to removing had a section of the foam lid gasket sticking out like a snake hiding under the lid. I removed the lid and saw another sign Honda is assembling these things as fast as possible. The gasket for the lid was out of the groove it should be in, and about 5 inches was not in the groove, causing a gap in the sealed lid.

I know the gasket probably doesn't do too much as the dust that could sneak in there is small enough to make it through the foam in the prefilter opening. So I took it off, dribbled a little Gorilla glue and carefully re installed it, but I put it in upside down. This let me have a better flat surface of the gasket to start a new seal. The other side of the gasket that already had a groove is facing down in the glue.

When I picked this up at the dealership new, the rear seat belt cover was dangling off as it wasn't attached correctly. Then I saw a plastic pop rivet on the passenger front fender above the wheel, was not in and the body panels were not lined up. This brought out a service tech a second time to force the 3 panels in line to get that rivet in.

After the machine was home, I removed the seat to see how it is done if I ever needed to. I saw one of the round rubber bumpers, that go over the metal frame post was pushed up into the seat cushion because it was not lined up when the seat was installed and forced down. I dug it out and put a little Vaseline on it to get a good fit over the post.

I can probably think of other smaller issues that are fit and finish failures, but this prefilter gasket was just another to add to the list. Repair #4 in 12 days of ownership.

Take a look at your new machine and see if you have these issued as I did, hopefully yours was made with more TLC than mine!

View attachment 242706 View attachment 242707 View attachment 242708 View attachment 242709
Mine was jacked up like that also. That seal doesn't really do much. I guess if it sealed correctly it might let u go a half inch deeper in water but your subtrans and gas tank would be full of water by then. I got 4000 miles out of my 1st air filter and have 3000 on my 2nd and I've not even checked it this go around.

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"repair".
Ok. Lol.
That cover isn't going to stop too much ;)
3e3b9b51e20b6a3b0a7cc93c1c252056

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

mj1angier

mj1angier

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2020
NC
Good lord man, you must spend more time looking for crap wrong with it than driving it, LOL.

I have fixed about 5-6 small "misses" that could have been caught on assembly line or at dealer. But crap happens. They are put together by human and humans make mistaks ( see what I did their).

Unless something takes for than 30 minuets for me to correct, it doesn't even make me think twice.

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have personally never had a Honda with so many little things that make my OCD spaz out. I have a major attention to detail quirk and am surprised to find these little misses. I could be the owner that says, whatever, but the money we spent on our toys should pay for a correctly assembled toy. I just want other new buyers to check theirs over and find issues before they cause a problem later. As other posts have mentioned about checking the airbox, an over tightened clamp had distorted the tube and created a gap, things like that should be found sooner than later. (or maybe not happen);) Roll on!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!