P1000 Chopped top bread truck

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I figured I would share some pics of my chopped cage. When I asked some questions about my plan their was a few rolled eyes and some "but why?" Comments. And I guess because its not the way everyone else did it so it was hard to explain.
I only cut the cage for clearance into my shed. As I was previously invested in 29" tires and 814 shocks. I wanted to keep the front stock so I can keep the stock flip windshield or put stock glass in later. I also like the look of the front being higher then the back. As far as the C-pillar (rear vertical bars) mine where damaged enough to say "they must be in the way". So I cut them and used the scrap pieces as a gusset for the rear roof (3 different options for gussets using the C-pillar).
I cut 2.56" from the b-pillar ABOVE the headrest bar. The frame has enough flex that the front just dropped down with no modifications. I took the top bolt out of the b-pillar cage mount and pulled it back .25 that it was short at the top. The bolt hole was then off by .06 that I opened with a die grinder. I used scrap water pipe as a sleave. I put it in an electric pipe threader and milled it down to 1.57 (i.d. of the b-pillar). And that's it. Just coped the rear roof to the contour of the frame and put a plastic cap on the opened frame. The rear of the roof dropped 4.88". I don't carry rear passengers so I removed the seat belts and used the attached plate as a seat for my gusset.
It definitely looks different and it about a day to get used to it. Alot of people on the trail thought it looked really cool. I'm happy with the end result and it goes with my utilitarian style. Nothing extra, but just enough

IMG 20200430 210012 IMG 20200502 192531 IMG 20200430 191230 IMG 20200429 220550

Last edited:
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
I like the angle of the roof, and I understand that it would be nice to not have C pillars, and I agree that it would take time to get used to it. It is, in one word... bizarre!

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the angle of the roof, and I understand that it would be nice to not have C pillars, and I agree that it would take time to get used to it. It is, in one word... bizarre!
Thank you. I feel better that you said "bizarre" vs normal. I wouldn't want to be falsely judged.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Thank you. I feel better that you said "bizarre" vs normal. I wouldn't want to be falsely judged.
I hear you. I LIKE bizarre! Normal is sooo... average. Like every Harley owner, they all want to be 1%ers and different, but in trying to do so, they're all the same. The bizarre Harleys are the stock ones! And YOU have the only bizarre Honda Pioneer! Congrats!

Reactions: 1Ktrailrider

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!