Talon Cleaning

D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Before we do the first oil/filter change we are going to do a through cleaning. I've been reading posts about using different products to spray on the plastics that help keep the mud/dirt from sticking or staining.

Just looking for opinions on what some have tried and the results.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Spray all the big chunks off, Simple Green and a foam cannon from HomeDepot, let sit for 3-4 mins and blast it clean.

Gets 98%

Run over it with a soapy dowel/wash mitt and it looks as good as it’s going to looks with any trail modifications or trail pinstripes.

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
I hose off all the big chunks and let the unit dry a little,,,then I have a 2 gal sprayer that has concentrate purple power in it and I spray it down and let is soak a minute. I either spray it down with my garden hose or take the time to crank up my pressure washer. It looks pretty good after that.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
don't forget to cover / wrap any aftermarket electronics like GPS, Radio, Backup Cameras, etc. Most of that stuff does not like pressure washer, even low pressure (plus they cost too much to chance it)

Reactions: ohanacreek
D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I was having trouble getting some of the mud stains off the black plastic on the Talon. In wallyworld yesterday I found some detailer from Lucas called Lucas Slick Mist, in a red spray bottle. Stuff worked great at $5.49 not that expensive. It seems to leave some type of finish so I'll see how everything cleans up after the next ride.

dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
I was test-sitting a couple units at my local stealer. I am really digging on the blue Talon X, but a big fan of Honda red--so I am on the fence. How hard is it to clean that matte black once coated in dried slop? In my experience matte is hard to keep clean, and we have lots of clay mud holes down here.

Thoughts?

Reactions: CID
R

rickoshea

stop trying.:D.seriously though,they only look clean till it rolls off the trailer then it's back to square one anyway.my go to riding area is all organic mud and treed trails with hardpack then slop and so on.i gave up and just wash it when i start getting dirty just walking around it.if it were just hardpack i'd be washing mine more often.

H

HondaTech

My GM got some sort of spray on ceramic coating, I'll see if I can find out what it actually is and post it.

Reactions: DAJO
dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
i gave up and just wash it when i start getting dirty just walking around it.

Ha yeah, aint that the truth. Im not big on keeping my wheelers clean. Guess im just hoping the pressure washer is good enough. If the matte painted plastics are at least better than the black plastic, guess it will be fine.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Lilred500

Lilred500

Keep it on the rubber side
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2019
Wv
Ownership

1. 500
I always take dawn dish washing liquid and a wash mitt to mine. Seems to clean up pretty good but only lasts til it hits the woods again.

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I use Maxima SC1 new bike in a can. Works wonders on scratched or faded plastics. It’s a little pricey so not an every wash thing for me. Anyone know of anything to keep the engine from turning brown over time or that will safely remove the discoloration?

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I am also a big fan of SC1. You can buy a case of it on eBay or other places. I am trying some alternatives as SC1 is pricey, and your paying for a lot of air. I'm currently giving other dressings a try using a air sprayer with my air compressor. I'm hoping to find a cheaper option. The think I like about SC1 is it seems to dry shiny, and mud doesn't stick to it very well. One thing you do not want to do is if your on a 2-3 day ride is wash your whole machine down the first day. It will wash of the SC1 and then your in for a real cleaning. I usually just spray out the radiator and clean the lights and windshield on the first day.

Reactions: Mudder
Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Before we do the first oil/filter change we are going to do a through cleaning. I've been reading posts about using different products to spray on the plastics that help keep the mud/dirt from sticking or staining.

Just looking for opinions on what some have tried and the results.
we used to spray our 3 wheelers with pam before hitting the mud, hosed off really good then soap n water, works on snow plow as well when heavy wet snow.

Reactions: Mudwing
A

Agar426

Dec 1, 2019
New Mexico
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
we used to spray our 3 wheelers with pam before hitting the mud, hosed off really good then soap n water, works on snow plow as well when heavy wet snow.

That was a popular trick with Jeeps and other 4x4s back in the day. I've never tried it because I live in the southwest....mud (thank goodness!) isn't a huge factor out here, but dust and rocks on the other hand. Question - On a dry day, does the dust just cake up on the Pam?

A

Agar426

Dec 1, 2019
New Mexico
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have always loved Plexus....best I found on plastic, but, two things: 1) It's expensive; and 2) Aren't the Talons painted? I would think your favorite automotive wash/wax combo should work?

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
That was a popular trick with Jeeps and other 4x4s back in the day. I've never tried it because I live in the southwest....mud (thank goodness!) isn't a huge factor out here, but dust and rocks on the other hand. Question - On a dry day, does the dust just cake up on the Pam?
we only used it playing in the mud because it made clean up a lot easier, not sure about the dust we always washed them soon as we got home

A

Agar426

Dec 1, 2019
New Mexico
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
we only used it playing in the mud because it made clean up a lot easier, not sure about the dust we always washed them soon as we got home
Understood, thank you! I have a vision of the dust just building up on the Pam as I'm going down the trail. No big deal, as it should clean easily. Now, on days when mud isn't a factor, no need to spray is the main thing I would think.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I love threads like this because i'm always searching for the best way to cheat at cleaning my machine... after much research and many many washes on multiple machines, here are my methods:

If super dirty: (if not super dirty, skip to step 2)
1. Super Clean - first hand knowledge, it's better than purple power or simple green. Cut super clean 50/50 with water and use a good pump sprayer. Spray on the machine and let it sit a couple minutes, then pressure wash. Don't let super clean dry on your body panels. I avoid getting it on windshield (probably wouldn't hurt it, but just being extra careful)

2. Foam cannon. Can be bought on amazon for $15-$20. I bought the expensive chemical guys mudder soap, but other foamer soaps probably work just as well. Coat the machine with foam and let it sit a few minutes. The foam really does penetrate a little and loosen mud and dirt. Then pressure wash.

I used to just use the super clean and rinse well, but I like the foamer a lot. The foam seems to remove dirt and mud as well as super clean.

3. hand dry, or just let it air dry

4. Use Plexus or Castle Plexo on poly windshields. Will make them spotless and repel dirt and water.

5. Use Maxima SC1 on everything else. I really like to coat in the wheel wells, the shocks, suspension - basically anything that really sucks to clean. SC1 is so wonderful (don't put it on your seats though!!!!!)

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Understood, thank you! I have a vision of the dust just building up on the Pam as I'm going down the trail. No big deal, as it should clean easily. Now, on days when mud isn't a factor, no need to spray is the main thing I would think.
correct

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!