Talon Cleaning

Steve-O-Utah

Steve-O-Utah

Jul 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
Are there any known issues in pressure washing a Talon 1000-X 4 FL? Specifically around the dash gauges and switches? Obviously only fanned in a quick sweeping fashion. Also had someone mention avoiding pressure washing near the air intakes on the sides of the unit near the air filter? I am a new owner and want to get it right. Have pressure washed every inch of my Honda 4 wheelers for years with no issues. Thanks for you input!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Are there any known issues in pressure washing a Talon 1000-X 4 FL? Specifically around the dash gauges and switches? Obviously only fanned in a quick sweeping fashion. Also had someone mention avoiding pressure washing near the air intakes on the sides of the unit near the air filter? I am a new owner and want to get it right. Have pressure washed every inch of my Honda 4 wheelers for years with no issues. Thanks for you input!
The engine would have to be running to pull air into the intake, it's an uphill trip.

From the top, photo thx to Hondabob

From the bottom, photo thx to Lil_Steve
I JxZSRKM L

Reactions: Lil_Steve
Steve-O-Utah

Steve-O-Utah

Jul 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
Perfect. Thanks so much for taking the time. Won't have to worry on that one.

Anyone know of concerns with the dash aside from covering non OEM add on's like the turn signals?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Perfect. Thanks so much for taking the time. Won't have to worry on that one.

Anyone know of concerns with the dash aside from covering non OEM add on's like the turn signals?
When I picked up my boat many years ago, the guy was hosing the dash with a pressure washer. 😳 I'm less touchy about water intrusion now and SxSs are made to be waterproof. Check out the extended firewall cover in this thread (post 2) which contains more useful info -

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
  • The Air Box has a water drain. If you are concerned after wash or after driving in heavy rain, you can pull it and make sure nothing got in.
  • I lightly power wash my dash. Almost 3000 miles, many washes and not any issues (yet).
  • Remove anything from the Accessory plug and put the cap on it. Accidentally left a charger plugged in and it got wet and now mine has a little rust in it.
  • Rugged Radio is NOT waterproof but the intercom (supposedly) is. Cover the radio if it is going to get at all wet. I adjusted all the settings and leave mine covered all the time to keep dry and minimize the dust.

Air Box Drain...

Reactions: TripleB and CID
D

DorkMissile

Jun 24, 2020
Twin Cities, MN
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have used SC1 and it is ok, but I raced nitro R/C cars for 20 years and we used this product from Cal-Gard called Prep&Shine. I bought a case of it like 5 years ago and still have 5 cans left, but it was unavailable in the US for awhile, but it looks to be available again. Price is good ($6.50 a can) and there is a lot more product in it vs the SC1 cans.

It is a similar product where you have to get everything clean and dry. Then you speak it on thin and let it dry. It actually drys hard, where as SC1 kind of stays wet. This stuff will stay on a long time, as long as you don't wash it off.

I did the inner fenders on my AfricaTwin 4 years ago when it was new, and when it comes to cleaning it I just hit it with water and everything still comes right off.

Now - as I mentioned, if you wash it off (with a strong detergent like SimpleGreen,Dawn, Etc....) it will take it off and you will reapply. But when we would use it, you would just get it wet, blow it off with air and it would look like new. If you want to foam cannon it and not take it off, I would stick to some of the mild car washing soaps that aren't supposed to remove wax.

I did my talon when I bought it a couple of weeks ago, have only washed it once. I foam cannoned it with a wax safe car wash, rinsed it, mixed up a small bucket of soap and used a mitt to wipe down the interior plastic, top side of the fenders, hood, etc... and left the underside alone and it looks like new still.

Reactions: Udaman and Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!