Super atv flip windshield cleaning?

Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon X4
What’s the best product to clean these plastic windows?

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Spray off the big stuff if need be THEN USE This

Blue Ribbon Products Plexi-Clean Acrylic & Plastic Cleaner 16 Oz.​

Reactions: CID and Remington
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Okay, there's some conflicting advice going on! Dunegod and Rayger143 are spot on . . .

For Plexiglas (trade name) acrylic, plastic cleaners, polishes, and products such as Novus are fine. With acrylic, you can polish out (remove) fine scratches with ease, (and deep scratches with the proper grades of abrasive), so most small aircraft windshields are acrylic. Acrylic is not used for UTV windshields as it is not impact resistant and will crack and break on impact.

We are mostly dealing with polycarbonate (trade name Lexan) which You should not use polishes or plastic cleaners to clean. Polycarbonate windshields will often have a hard coating to help prevent scratches. Using fine abrasive polishes can slowly remove the hard coat, exposing the much softer plastic and making it more susceptible to scratching.

See SuperATV's excellent page on this:

The UTV Windshield Buyer's Guide

Last edited:
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Okay, there's some conflicting advice going on! Dunegod and Rayger143 are spot on . . .

For Plexiglas (trade name) acrylic, plastic cleaners, polishes, and products such as Novus are fine. With acrylic, you can polish out (remove) fine scratches with ease, (and deep scratches with the proper grades of abrasive), so most small aircraft windshields are acrylic. Acrylic is not used for UTV windshields as it is not impact resistant and will crack and break on impact.

We are mostly dealing with polycarbonate (trade name Lexan) which You should not use polishes or plastic cleaners to clean. Polycarbonate windshields will often have a hard coating to help prevent scratches. Using fine abrasive polishes can slowly remove the hard coat, exposing the much softer plastic and making it more susceptible to scratching.

See SuperATV's excellent page on this:

The UTV Windshield Buyer's Guide
I have been recommending plexus since I use it on my plane. I couldn’t figure out why Super ATV said not to use it. Your explanation was very good.

I have been very impressed with the flip up windshield, it has been through some tough trail rides and I can’t believe it hasn’t been scratched. I of course am very careful cleaning it. But I guess i better stop the plexus🤣🤪

Last edited:
SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
I couldn’t figure out why Suoer ATV said not to use it.
Pretty much just to cover our butts if one of the products used had a chemical reaction with the poly or our hard coating chemicals. Some do. I've seen some discoloration with a couple products. If Plexus works, hell yeah! I've always just given it a few layers of Pledge every couple rides whenever its needed.

Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Super ATV what’s the best method to clean window? Pledge only? Soap and water with microfiber? First time cleaning it so don’t want to mess it up.

Reactions: SuperATV
Worse1

Worse1

Jul 14, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What about using soap, water and vinegar for removing water stains? Is vinegar (water mixed in) bad for that type of windshield?

Reactions: SuperATV
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hit mine with the power washer early in the wash and let it soak for a while, hitting it several times throughout the wash to keep it wet.

Then I hit it with 3 separate clean cotton cloths. First one mops and wipes, collects dirt. Second one gets closer to dry and takes off more dirt, third one gets it nice and clean and dry, and has no dirt.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Super ATV what’s the best method to clean window? Pledge only? Soap and water with microfiber? First time cleaning it so don’t want to mess it up.
That'll work perfectly.
What about using soap, water and vinegar for removing water stains? Is vinegar (water mixed in) bad for that type of windshield?
That should be ok.

WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Pretty much just to cover our butts if one of the products used had a chemical reaction with the poly or our hard coating chemicals. Some do. I've seen some discoloration with a couple products. If Plexus works, hell yeah! I've always just given it a few layers of Pledge every couple rides whenever its needed.
Thanks for the input. By the way this flip up windshield is a Great product.

JEP

JEP

May 4, 2015
Western PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I rinse off with a pressure washer, blow dry with an echo leaf blower and apply Plexus with a microfiber. Plexus is a lil expensive, but 4 years of use, no scratches. I don’t know if it is my method of cleaning or if the Super ATV windshield is just that good.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!