Windshield questions

T

TalonRSM

May 5, 2024
Socal
Ownership

1. Talon R
Howdy fellas. Newbie question regarding the need for a windshield. We've taken or Talon for a ride twice (new owner here and first SXS ever). It's me and my 16 yo son. We would be riding the Talon in Socal trails, so lots of dirt trails and lots of dust (if there are other rigs in the front), pebbles, some rocks, etc. I have no plans for muddy swamps or 100F or 32F trail runs :), so with that said, how hot would the cabin get if i had a windshield in there ?

Feeling the breeze is nice so far in 76-78F weather. We only have a roof in the Talon and we ride with motorcycle full helmets and goggles, but i thought adding a front windshield so i can remove the goggles. Not looking out for anything special with lots of features and gizmos Not looking out for an expensive windshield either, i know there are options out there to open one half but damn they're expensive and i have two other rigs i use to go offroading, I'm mostly a Jeep dude who bought a side by side cause i wanted my son to experience the offroading thrill on a smaller machine and i have already spent more than i wanted to spend cause modding is like a damn bug for me and i can't leave anything stock for long, lol.

Would i be miserable with a half windshield if i wanted to ride with no goggles and i have other people with side by sides riding in front of me ?
Would i need a rear windshield with a half front one ?
If i get a full front windshield do i need a rear one because of the wind swirls ?? (i've been reading about it), i see people use a net ? in the back sometimes instead of rear windshield ? Doing that prevents the cabin air swirl when you have a front windshield ?

Thanks a lot.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
If you get a full front, you're going to want a rear to help with the dust tornado that would happen in the cab if you only had a front.

Half windshields are cool. Personal preference on those.

The flip windshield is definitely the best all round and most versatile. Full when needed, vented a little for airflow but still keeping you protected, or all the way open....which is where mine is like 90% of the time.

Flip (most popular): https://www.superatv.com/honda-talon-1000-flip-windshield
Powered flip (fanciest): https://www.superatv.com/honda-talon-1000-maxdrive-power-flip-windshield
Link to all windshield options (we make a bunch) https://www.superatv.com/shop/honda/talon/talon-1000r#/filter:product_category:Windshields

And we're having a HUGE sale this week, so its definitely the time to pull the trigger to catch the sale.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Howdy fellas. Newbie question regarding the need for a windshield. We've taken or Talon for a ride twice (new owner here and first SXS ever). It's me and my 16 yo son. We would be riding the Talon in Socal trails, so lots of dirt trails and lots of dust (if there are other rigs in the front), pebbles, some rocks, etc. I have no plans for muddy swamps or 100F or 32F trail runs :), so with that said, how hot would the cabin get if i had a windshield in there ?

Feeling the breeze is nice so far in 76-78F weather. We only have a roof in the Talon and we ride with motorcycle full helmets and goggles, but i thought adding a front windshield so i can remove the goggles. Not looking out for anything special with lots of features and gizmos Not looking out for an expensive windshield either, i know there are options out there to open one half but damn they're expensive and i have two other rigs i use to go offroading, I'm mostly a Jeep dude who bought a side by side cause i wanted my son to experience the offroading thrill on a smaller machine and i have already spent more than i wanted to spend cause modding is like a damn bug for me and i can't leave anything stock for long, lol.

Would i be miserable with a half windshield if i wanted to ride with no goggles and i have other people with side by sides riding in front of me ?
If i get a full front windshield do i need a rear one because of the wind swirls ?? (i've been reading about it), i see people use a net ? in the back sometimes instead of rear windshield ? Doing that prevents the cabin air swirl when you have a front windshield ?

Thanks a lot.
Aint reading that novel lol
But i love the SATV flip
Also have a SATV glass as well

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Glass is easier to clean than polycarbonate, and won't haze over time. Flip up vents provide nice blast of cooling air. I have well over 10k miles on mine, mostly desert riding, with no issues or rock chips. Frame is sturdy enough to directly mount smaller lights, flexible enough for cage mounted mirrors or whatevs.

USA Windshield (Example link, may be cheaper elsewhere)

advertisement
Nevada Notch

Nevada Notch

Jul 3, 2021
Carson City
I have a Dirt Warrior windshield with lower flip up vents. Works extremely well to be able to drive without the need for goggles. If you get a full windshield of any type, you will want a rear wind screen to keep the dust from swirling back into the cab from the rear.

Do not buy a poly carbonate windshield (unless you don't mind swirls and scratches) due to it getting scratched up quickly. Glass front windshield with automotive safety glass is your best bet.

Rand

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

Thanks a lot.

IMO - I wanted a glass windshield and made one for my talon - its nice and does the job but im considering taking it off. I\we wear full face helmets and goggles sall the time so its almost to me (kinda stupid). Cant stand dust in my eyes and there are still times where saplings and branches b**** slap me in the helmet with the nets up. Probably in the colder temps it will help keep the wind chill at bay, but jeez I use my quad for hunting and for some reason the cold doesn't bother me at that point - just dress for it. Where it is really nice - getting caught in downpours!!!.I really don't care about mud\dust\noise - these things are mud and dust magnets, even with a windshield there is a fair amount of mud and a ton of dust when dry out inside the cab and our shoulders are generally covered in mud - its part of the experience.

If you want to go low cost - PM me and I can send you the dimensions for the windshield I made. Took it to the local glass shop and they put the t gasket in with the safety glass, I think they got like $150 out of me for that. I ordered a $20 gasket for the bottom .and it seals up 95%. I used a scrap piece of 1/4" aluminum for the frame.

Reactions: TalonRSM
O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Satv flip poly windshield with hard coat has worked well on our pioneer. It has seen 21000 miles and has very minimal scratching. It’s all in how you treat it. Use cleaners for poly and use water to get rid of mud first. We even run a wiper on it.

Reactions: TalonRSM

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!