Super ATV heavy-duty tie rod kit.

IngoTheBarbarian

IngoTheBarbarian

Sep 25, 2021
US
Although my tie rods appear to be fine, I am replacing my destroyed steering rack and figure I should probably get tie rods since the force of impact sheered the rack gear.

The SATV kit is attractive because it comes with the inner ball/socket ends, boots, and replaces the outer joint with a heim.

I don't need anything blingy or billet. Steel tie rods are fine in my book.

Any opinions?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Although my tie rods appear to be fine, I am replacing my destroyed steering rack and figure I should probably get tie rods since the force of impact sheered the rack gear.

The SATV kit is attractive because it comes with the inner ball/socket ends, boots, and replaces the outer joint with a heim.

I don't need anything blingy or billet. Steel tie rods are fine in my book.

Any opinions?

What steering rack you going with?

Reactions: crewcabrob
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Weller Racing makes a nice set of tie rods for the Talons for just a few bucks more. Replaces the entire setup from rack to spindle with all new high quality parts. Those would compliment the new RB3 rack well.

Edit: I prefer heims on both ends for strength vs the ball and socket inners like stock. They are inherently a weaker design.

IngoTheBarbarian

IngoTheBarbarian

Sep 25, 2021
US
Weller Racing makes a nice set of tie rods for the Talons for just a few bucks more. Replaces the entire setup from rack to spindle with all new high quality parts. Those would compliment the new RB3 rack well.

Edit: I prefer heims on both ends for strength vs the ball and socket inners like stock. They are inherently a weaker design.
Wow. I wasn't aware of those. Definitely more bomb proof. 💣 I'll have to call them and maybe I can pick them up when I go to pick up my rack.

Edit: I wonder if they made X tie rods?

IngoTheBarbarian

IngoTheBarbarian

Sep 25, 2021
US

I went with the SATV Chromoly tie rods just because I couldn't swallow $500 for tie rods. That inner ball and socket bent hard in my little wreck. In the picture the ball is centered.

Maybe Weller will make them again one day and I can take the SATVs off for back ups. 727f082f3a248583db4a991723770ea9

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I went with the SATV Chromoly tie rods just because I couldn't swallow $500 for tie rods. That inner ball and socket bent hard in my little wreck. In the picture the ball is centered.

Maybe Weller will make them again one day and I can take the SATVs off for back ups. View attachment 324579

I’m happy with my CA racing tie rods. 🤷🏻‍♂️

IngoTheBarbarian

IngoTheBarbarian

Sep 25, 2021
US
Nope. Oem inners.

i kept them on purpose as a fuse even with my RB3 rack.
On the SATV kit I bought the inner-ends don't even look as beefy as the stock ones but the tie rods themselves look to be quite a bit stronger. The inner-ends are the weak point in either case and I tend to think you're right that having that inner end bend may prevent damage to the RB3 rack. However, when my factory rack was destroyed the inner-end was also bent about 45° as shown above.

Reactions: Buggyman
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
The stock inner tie rods are junk just like the rest of the stock tie rod. Thinking it's going to be a fuse is a good assumption as it's probably going to be the first think to break and leave you stranded. I crashed the f*** out of my car last season and managed to break the front diff in half and chip a tooth on my RB3 rack. You know what didn't break and leave me stranded? My ZRP full replacement tie rods or the RB3 rack. Because the RB3 rack combined with the ZRP tie rods is such a bullet proof combo I was able to pull the front diff apart and race the feature in 2wd because my steering "fuse" didn't put me out for the day.

To each their own, but thinking that replacing just the outer portion of the tie rod makes it "better" is just wasting money on a wish.

IngoTheBarbarian

IngoTheBarbarian

Sep 25, 2021
US
The stock inner tie rods are junk just like the rest of the stock tie rod. Thinking it's going to be a fuse is a good assumption as it's probably going to be the first think to break and leave you stranded. I crashed the f*** out of my car last season and managed to break the front diff in half and chip a tooth on my RB3 rack. You know what didn't break and leave me stranded? My ZRP full replacement tie rods or the RB3 rack. Because the RB3 rack combined with the ZRP tie rods is such a bullet proof combo I was able to pull the front diff apart and race the feature in 2wd because my steering "fuse" didn't put me out for the day.

To each their own, but thinking that replacing just the outer portion of the tie rod makes it "better" is just wasting money on a wish.
That's why I'm here, Slowpoke... To learn from the crazy guys like you .

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4

I carry 2 spare inners. 🤷🏻‍♂️

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!