P1000 Clutch/shifting question

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Clutches will not disengage.
Any tips from anyone with same issue?
While in H or R unit rolls at idle. Will not go into L - display just shows a line.

Reactions: Lady01
Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
While in H or R unit rolls at idle. Will not go into L - display just shows a line.
How's the rpm at idle. Too high?

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is a thread on here that will show you how to adjust the cables in that flat box behind the driver seat.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How's the rpm at idle. Too high?
RPM is the same it has been. Was in L, climbed up ditch between my driveway and shop (maybe 24" high), stopped to shift back to H, and wouldn't go. Finally got it to go, and that was it. Won't go back into L, and the rest is as described in OP. Pic of idle RPM just now.
IMG 20160622 063216422

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is a thread on here that will show you how to adjust the cables in that flat box behind the driver seat.
Got that. Giving it a go. Was u sure if that was related to clutch engagement. Will advise once I adjust.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
:(

Are you thinking that it is just an adjustment problem (won't shift to Low/High) that is allowing the clutch plates to stay partially engaged or a completely separate issue?

Sounds kind of like you have two issues, but I am not 100% clear on how they are designed. I could see needing a cable adjustment, I figure the cables probably stretch a little during break in and might need to be tightened up to get them in at the right length to engage correctly but I would think the clutch plate separation should be based on oil pressure/clutch spring force in the transmission and shouldn't be affected by Low or High range.

Did you happen to check for the clutch engagement when you first got it? If it was doing it then, maybe the clutch plates have to "wear in" for proper clearances? Maybe they have "high points" that are just barely touching when disengaged and once the ridges get "knocked off" to the proper clearances it won't do that anymore.

If it wasn't doing that when you first brought it home and now it is, something isn't right.

Please keep us updated. I hope you get it figured out.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
:(

Are you thinking that it is just an adjustment problem (won't shift to Low/High) that is allowing the clutch plates to stay partially engaged or a completely separate issue?

Sounds kind of like you have two issues, but I am not 100% clear on how they are designed. I could see needing a cable adjustment, I figure the cables probably stretch a little during break in and might need to be tightened up to get them in at the right length to engage correctly but I would think the clutch plate separation should be based on oil pressure/clutch spring force in the transmission and shouldn't be affected by Low or High range.

Did you happen to check for the clutch engagement when you first got it? If it was doing it then, maybe the clutch plates have to "wear in" for proper clearances? Maybe they have "high points" that are just barely touching when disengaged and once the ridges get "knocked off" to the proper clearances it won't do that anymore.

If it wasn't doing that when you first brought it home and now it is, something isn't right.

Please keep us updated. I hope you get it figured out.
Already fixed. Rolled her into the shop, adjusted cables, smooth as silk now.
I'm with you though, doesn't make sense logically regarding clutch plate pressure being correlated to shift cable adjustment as it is based off oil pressure from my understanding. At any rate, the cables were slightly out as the pics show. Good news is these things are very easy to get to and adjust. Would be a piece of cake on the trail if you had a toolbox.
Before:
IMG 20160622 083622501
After:
IMG 20160622 093710197
Also note regarding adjusting the front shift lever under the battery, you do not have to disconnect the battery. I simply removed the hold down and rotated battery to the side. My terminal bolts were on the loose side. Glad I checked them.
IMG 20160622 085807702

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your good to go now!

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So basically the adjustments inside the box are to line up with the marks cast into the box? And what about the center cable adjustment? I've not had any problems with mine, but about to go on a ride in a week and a half and thought it would be a good idea to check adjustment prior to the ride.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So basically the adjustments inside the box are to line up with the marks cast into the box? And what about the center cable adjustment? I've not had any problems with mine, but about to go on a ride in a week and a half and thought it would be a good idea to check adjustment prior to the ride.
Center pin needs to be flush with index line in arm. It's sits back past the other two pins just a hair. You can see the two lines on each side of the rear of the center pin.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The clutch is fine, the problem was the cable adjustment was out of whack slightly and since is was basically between gears it would not move.

Glad it was an easy fix for you!

Problem wasn't that it wouldn't move, problem was that it would always move - clutches wouldn't disengage at idle. Put it in H, it goes. Put it in R, it goes - even at 1000-1100 RPMs.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Problem wasn't that it wouldn't move, problem was that it would always move - clutches wouldn't disengage at idle. Put it in H, it goes. Put it in R, it goes - even at 1000-1100 RPMs.
I have experienced this also but i have attributed my scenario to clutch not being warmed up. It was when i was putting back in garage when sitting out for a few hours.

catwalking

catwalking

Mar 16, 2016
fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm having the same problem with mine soon as I get in gear it just takes off 2 to 3 miles an hour you fixed yours bye just adjusting everything that's awesome I'm gonna have to try that tomorrow

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have experienced this also but i have attributed my scenario to clutch not being warmed up. It was when i was putting back in garage when sitting out for a few hours.
Update: I have around 600 miles on mine now and it still will pull at idle when the clutches are cold but not when warmed up.

ibleedjohndeeregreen

ibleedjohndeeregreen

Jun 21, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I am in Park the display indicates properly. Shift out of park display defaults to turf mode. Any ideas?

ibleedjohndeeregreen

ibleedjohndeeregreen

Jun 21, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
More detail please
I have a video but says the file is to large.

Let’s say I am in 2wd. When in Park the indicator show 2wd. When I shift out of park indicator goes to turf mode.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!