P1000 Clutch slipping

howardjg

howardjg

Feb 18, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good morning,

My 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 has started to slip when going into certain gears. Will I cause additional harm to the machine if I use it lightly around the house until I have the clutch replaced? The machine only has 475 miles but many of them are used for snow plowing. I will probably send it out to be repaired later this fall, not something I feel confident doing.

Any suggestions appreaciated,

-Jason

Reactions: TxDoc
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Good morning,

My 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 has started to slip when going into certain gears. Will I cause additional harm to the machine if I use it lightly around the house until I have the clutch replaced? The machine only has 475 miles but many of them are used for snow plowing. I will probably send it out to be repaired later this fall, not something I feel confident doing.

-Jason
try a relearn to buy some time but if its worn its worn and clutch pack(s) will needs to be replaced, worse thing that happens its they get worn to where it just won't move anymore but really have only heard of isolated cases of that

cant hide money - expensive machine to do some snow plowing

good luck

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good morning,

-Jason
Here's a video

Sent from my motorola edge plus 2023 using Tapatalk

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did you have the clutch cover recall done. Honda did a recall on the clutch cover on the 2016 and 2017 models and maybe some 2018 models. The new clutch cover lets more oil get to the clutches to help prevent overheating and slipping. There’s a post on the forum showing how the new clutch cover looks.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you have the clutch cover recall done. Honda did a recall on the clutch cover on the 2016 and 2017 models and maybe some 2018 models. The new clutch cover lets more oil get to the clutches to help prevent overheating and slipping. There’s a post on the forum showing how the new clutch cover looks.
Honda did not issue a recall for the clutch cover.
Honda release a product improvement campaign. And put a timeline on it. I believe it expired 2020 or 2021.
Update parts are still available, and reasonably priced via Ebay if you choose to DIY the repair.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Honda did not issue a recall for the clutch cover.
Honda release a product improvement campaign. And put a timeline on it. I believe it expired 2020 or 2021.
Update parts are still available, and reasonably priced via Ebay if you choose to DIY the repair.
Truth

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
If this machine is under 500 miles and only really used for snow plowing - unfortunately it was used incorrectly somehow - there are way better snow plow machines actually made to plow snow ….. hopefully the owner will realize this and either learn how to not abuse the clutches, etc…..

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Good morning,

-Jason

Hi - did you ever get an oil overtemp lite while plowing snow?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To the original poster, there were a few machines of your vintage that were having trouble with clutch slippage in the 1,3,5 gears. Another problem with this first set of clutches is it also run by the reverse gear which alot of people find is really too high for most scenarios. If I ever put mine in Reverse I make sure to not putt around and drive it like a teenage boy. Honda's fix was to provide a new clutch cover that allowed for more oiling of the clutches. As stated it really wasn't a recall but rather a service bulletin but with a time frame for free replacement that ended in 2020. If that is something you are interested you can still get it upgraded but it is no longer free. I will try and post a link that talks about how to see if your machine has been upgraded or is still the old clutch cover. As far as running it, I know a few guys that kept running it until they got it fixed. Of course it will not get better, and it really depends on how long it will last. A clutch relearn might help but it definitely depends. I have a friend that is working on his machine right now, that has his slippage narrowed down to the shift solenoid. His main problem was that it was slipping in every gear vs just the 1,3,5 gear. He pulled the clutches and they looked great so he believes his solenoid is not working correctly.

As far as the other comments, I don't think using your machine for plowing is any more abuse that what many other people do to there's. I've seen videos of people stuck in the mud trying to dig out, under water up to roof and various other things. To me that is abuse, but each their own. I have used my 2018 for plowing for the last 6 years with a little over 10,000 miles and no signs of clutch problems. I started out with atv plows, then bought a 700 to plow and ride and finally have moved up to the 1000. I don't abuse mine but I can tell you the dang thing can really work. I usually have all 4 tires chained up, in low and with the diff lock the rig can really push some snow. It's even kind of enjoyable with the roof and doors and radio playing. I try not to abuse it, but it is what I have and am happy to put it to work.

Hope you can get the clutch fixed and get back to using your machine. Good luck.

Reactions: TxDoc and Rayger143
advertisement
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A product improvement is a better way of saying recall it looks better on the company when they say product improvement. I had my 2017 done as soon as the product improvement came out.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's the thread pertaining to the cover.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk