P1000m5 Clutch Update, Now Low Oil Pressure Light

H

htr4life

Feb 6, 2016
GA
I took my 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 to Freedom Powersports for the Clutch Update, Cabin Comfort Update, and Muffler Recall. 33 days later I receive the unit back and now the low oil pressure indicator remains on after 30 minutes of usage and the machine felt like it wanted to shudder when traversing hilly terrain.

Anyone else having similar issues post clutch update? I’m in the process of finding a new dealer in GA area.

Reactions: DanDan and BWAF
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I can't really add anything here other than it does seem like several have had this happen after the update was done. Someone will be along shortly.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took my 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 to Freedom Powersports for the Clutch Update, Cabin Comfort Update, and Muffler Recall. 33 days later I receive the unit back and now the low oil pressure indicator remains on after 30 minutes of usage and the machine felt like it wanted to shudder when traversing hilly terrain.

Anyone else having similar issues post clutch update? I’m in the process of finding a new dealer in GA area.
I assume the oil level is correct. Maybe they didn't reset the computer?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yep... O-ring pinched or missing. Don't run it for another second until they fix it!!! And make a note of it and have them sign and date it in case of engine failure later.

Koda

Koda

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Canton Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Which Freedom powersports location did you take it to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I agree it’s either an o-ring bunged up or a nylon split ring installed incorrectly allowing fluid loss internally. Get it back to the dealer and no not run it.

Last edited:
H

htr4life

Feb 6, 2016
GA
Mine was done at their Canton location. Everything must be good - just got back to Silverton after doing @ 80 miles on the Alpine loop trails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like you’re good. I’m sure your unit didn’t take 33 days for repair either and multiple failed attempts before returning with the aforementioned issue.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
We had one that had the oil pressure light on, ended up the tech forgot to transfer the emergency valve from the old clutch cover.
He had also forgotten to install the orifice that comes with the new cover, and didn't put the spring on the engine oil filter. But the emergency valve was the last part he discovered.
But it would only run for about 15 seconds and shut itself off, so it didn't hurt anything.
It's a really simple job replacing the clutch cover, and the ones I've done I haven't had an issue with. Those above mentioned nylon split sealing rings or the O-rings would have to be pure carelessness to screw up. I think some of the people working on them must be all thumbs, or ramming / jamming stuff together and probably have a hard time even wiping their a$$ :D.
Just forget beating the clock, take the time to put things together nice and gentle, put a healthy coat of oil on the sealing rings, O-rings, etc.
It ends up taking less time to do it right the first time than rushing and then tearing it back apart to do it the right way. Not to mention happier customers.

Last edited:

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The old adage- "If you want something done right, do it yourself" rings true today more than ever. I mean...a Honda "tech" not putting the spring on the oil filter? COME THE EFF ON MAN!!! I don't care to meet the tech, but I'd like to meet the guy who hired him.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
You work in the repair field long enough and are any good, you will become impressed with yourself.
I've been in and out of it most of my life, and I can think of 1...maybe 2 people I've worked with that I would let work on my stuff.

Last edited:
B

Bbarker

Jul 19, 2018
East kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I had clutch upgrade done back in the spring,got it back noticed a chatter noise,kept getting worse so took it to dealer Saturday found out today crank bearings are out!

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
yeah oring most likely the update isnt terribly difficult but if you miss one step in any aspect it won't work. I almost made the same mistake when I did my own repair.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!