P500 Cold Start Stall

B

Bredwordz

Jul 31, 2018
NY
Ownership

1. 500
I have a ‘17 with low miles <100, and the last few times I fired up it has stalled shortly after running. It only does it on cold start. Once it warms up it’s fine. I have noticed even on a warm start it doesn’t sound normal on the first few revolutions lately. Like it’s lacking fuel or air. Is this normal? Change fuel? Is ethanol free recomended?

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
do you let the fuel pump pressure up once you turn the key on before starting? If i do not sometimes i experience the same thing. If am patient and let it pressure up then no problem. And this typically only occurs if i have not used it for a while.

B

Bredwordz

Jul 31, 2018
NY
Ownership

1. 500
do you let the fuel pump pressure up once you turn the key on before starting? If i do not sometimes i experience the same thing. If am patient and let it pressure up then no problem. And this typically only occurs if i have not used it for a while.
I let the electronics cycle thru but never really listened for the pump. Maybe I’m not waiting long enough. Does it sound like it misses on warm starts from the same thing?

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
once warmed up or has been started recently no issue. If cold or has set for a while it needs to pressure up or its hard to start, cranks more than normal or starts and stalls. But only takes a few seconds to overcome and then runs great.

B

Bredwordz

Jul 31, 2018
NY
Ownership

1. 500
once warmed up or has been started recently no issue. If cold or has set for a while it needs to pressure up or its hard to start, cranks more than normal or starts and stalls. But only takes a few seconds to overcome and then runs great.
I just started after a day of sitting. The dash and pump cycle about the same rate. It fired right up like it should. Weird. I did turn the key twice to check the pump/dash timing before I started this time. I’m wondering if I have some gas issues. I notice it hesitates even on warm starts recently.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
possibly, the longer it sits the longer it takes to pressure up the fuel system. If you listen you can hear the fuel pump come on with the key. Wait until it pressures up and quits before starting. I am a chemical engineer with 27 years of refining/lube oil/finished fuels experience and now days there isn't a lot of bad fuel, not so say its all great but much better than it used to be. If truly missing and still under warranty take it in. Mine is a 2016 and has never skipped a beat even after flopping it over and filling the cylinder full of oil.

Reactions: Bredwordz
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I find that if I start my machine in gear it sometimes stalls or takes longer to start, if I’m neutral it always starts with no problems.

Reactions: Bredwordz
B

Bredwordz

Jul 31, 2018
NY
Ownership

1. 500
I'll try that out as well. Thanks Nitro!

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
With mine I find if you wait till the fuel pump stops buzzing, on first start of the day or if sitting for a while it’ll fire right up and run fine. Not doing that it’ll fart and buck sometimes quit. Also I run premium fuel (91 octane+) and I think that helps too, every once in a while I’ll also add some Sea Foam conditioner to the gas too. Seems to be happier if I do this. I run premium fuel highest grade I can find in all our smaller engines. Chainsaws, outboards, gen sets etc., and it does make’m run smoother start better. Honda small motor mechanic in our area said to run premium as the lower grades with ethanol and other additives will fall out of suppension and form jell in bottom of tank and cause you grief as it’ll end up in carb or injectors.
Cheers, j

Reactions: Dp5hunter
advertisement
P

PNWGuy

I have a ‘17 with low miles <100, and the last few times I fired up it has stalled shortly after running. It only does it on cold start. Once it warms up it’s fine. I have noticed even on a warm start it doesn’t sound normal on the first few revolutions lately. Like it’s lacking fuel or air. Is this normal? Change fuel? Is ethanol free recomended?
My 2018 with 115 miles does the exact same thing... Taking it to the dealer ASAP. Letting the pump spool up does help, but, it didn't do that last month and just started doing it.

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
My 2015, that I've had since June of 2014, has always done this if it's sat over 10 or 12 hours and if I don't wait a few seconds for the fuel pump to shut off, when I turn the key on, before I crank it. If I jump in and just crank it will almost always start, run rough a couple of seconds and die, then crank and run fine. If I turn the key on and wait 5 seconds or so and then crank it, it's fine. This is only after it's sat a while, like overnight. Any other time it fires right off.

B

Bredwordz

Jul 31, 2018
NY
Ownership

1. 500
My 2018 with 115 miles does the exact same thing... Taking it to the dealer ASAP. Letting the pump spool up does help, but, it didn't do that last month and just started doing it.
Let me know what they say. Mines been fine the last few cold starts after waiting 5-6 seconds. Haven’t rode much but I’ve started it in the garage 3-4 times now cold.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!