BOX1

P500 Cold weather

UpNorth

UpNorth

Sep 2, 2015
Minnesota
Has anyone else had trouble with the brakes freezing during cold weather? Pretty much ruined a deer hunt for me.

And now the ignition is freezing, had to blast it with a heat gun to get the key to turn. Not sure what I would do if that happened in the woods.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone else had trouble with the brakes freezing during cold weather? Pretty much ruined a deer hunt for me.

And now the ignition is freezing, had to blast it with a heat gun to get the key to turn. Not sure what I would do if that happened in the woods.

Have not encountered it yet. Is your climate very wet?

UpNorth

UpNorth

Sep 2, 2015
Minnesota
Have not encountered it yet. Is your climate very wet?

It was wet during the trip but freezing at night. Prefect conditions for these problems, but I was the only one who absolutely couldn't moved their machine in the morning.

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The freezing brakes can happen to any machine. I just let my machines warm up for a few minutes and the heat off the motor thaws them enough to drive. The ignition freezing would be solved by a full windshield as I am guessing it rained on the dash and froze up.

UpNorth

UpNorth

Sep 2, 2015
Minnesota
The freezing brakes can happen to any machine. I just let my machines warm up for a few minutes and the heat off the motor thaws them enough to drive. The ignition freezing would be solved by a full windshield as I am guessing it rained on the dash and froze up.

I always warm the engine. I even ran my propane heater for 15 minutes trying to thaw it. The problem is only one front wheel gets power in 4x4. If it was true 4 wheel drive it would break itself free.
I've owned atv's for 20 years and never had an ignition freeze. Plus the key is always in it and that covers the ignition.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
are you leaving the key out and letting water get in? brakes freezing are pretty common.

S

Summit

Dec 5, 2014
Earlier this fall here in bc I was running the 700 throw a bit of water and it was freezing at nights. In the mornings the front end would be froze up and I would put my nee on the tire and grab hold of the bumper and rock it back and forth until it broke loose. The forman 400s do the same thing.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Spray the brakes inside and out with WD40 so they don't freeze - OK, JUST KIDDING!!! Don't do this, just joking....
A buddy of mine had a Hi Temp hose what we just hose clamped on the exhaust pipe so we could use that to warm the brakes if needed (We rode in the UP of Michigan)

Reactions: UpNorth
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Spray the brakes inside and out with WD40 so they don't freeze - OK, JUST KIDDING!!! Don't do this, just joking....
A buddy of mine had a Hi Temp hose what we just hose clamped on the exhaust pipe so we could use that to warm the brakes if needed (We rode in the UP of Michigan)

Great idea. Could also heat the cab with that same hose....OK, JUST KIDDING!!

UpNorth

UpNorth

Sep 2, 2015
Minnesota

Great idea, that could thaw the ignition too. I thought it would be put away by now but it looks like it will be a while before the snowmobile comes out.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One problem if he can't turn the key she won't start. There's obviously moisture in the ignition. I would buy a little can of instant deicer for locks ect they sell it at home depot I know. And it works great.

Reactions: UpNorth
CptOvo

CptOvo

Sep 20, 2015
Canada, Alberta
Ownership

1. 500
I had the same issue with the lock being frozen. I was trying to unload the P500 @ the Honda dealership for the first service and I couldn't get the key in.

I handed my keys to the service manager and told him to "have at her". 10 minutes and a large deicing bottle later he turned the key and up she started.

I power washed it the night before and left it on the back of my truck (was -2c that night) I'm guessing there isn't a way to allow water to drain out.

Might take a look and see if there is a fix.

Ovo

UpNorth

UpNorth

Sep 2, 2015
Minnesota
This frozen ignition may result in a for sale sign....supposed to leave in the morning fit the cabin, 20 minutes with a blow dryer and lock de-icer and it's still not turning. The plastic is starting to melt. Have to say out of the many atv's I've owned, this one is the only one that's ever given me any trouble.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
This frozen ignition may result in a for sale sign....supposed to leave in the morning fit the cabin, 20 minutes with a blow dryer and lock de-icer and it's still not turning. The plastic is starting to melt. Have to say out of the many atv's I've owned, this one is the only one that's ever given me any trouble.

It's only happened to me once, I heated the key with a lighter and it worked fine.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2 years ago my brand new can am ignition wouldn't turn leaving a house of ill repute, the dam key started to come apart took 45min to figure that out. I had to bite the key to press it together it's a 2 part key because of the security chip. I'd check to make sure the key didn't bend, also frozen water could possibly screw up the ignition

Jomemee

Jomemee

Jan 20, 2016
Omemee, Ontario

i had mine stick a little, but it let go and started with a little force. Ive had the door ice up on me once as well. a little shoulder-ing of the door fixed that right up.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!