P700 Compression test

joeyaffhy

joeyaffhy

Lifetime Member
Dec 12, 2020
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-2
Does anyone know what the compression should be in a 2020 P 700 deluxe. Is there a trick to doing a compression test on the 700 seeing it has one cylinder and two spark plugs.

Reactions: Smitty335
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just leave one plug in. Pull both leads (so it doesn't start) and place them near a ground source. You could also unplug one of the coil leads instead.
Make sure the battery is well charged, and hold the throttle WFO when testing. Around 5 revolutions or so (watch the needle start to "top out").
Spec is 80psi because of the compression release. I assume that is a minimum.

joeyaffhy

joeyaffhy

Lifetime Member
Dec 12, 2020
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just leave one plug in. Pull both leads (so it doesn't start) and place them near a ground source. You could also unplug one of the coil leads instead.
Make sure the battery is well charged, and hold the throttle WFO when testing. Around 5 revolutions or so (watch the needle start to "top out").
Spec is 80psi because of the compression release. I assume that is a minimum.
Thank you.

joeyaffhy

joeyaffhy

Lifetime Member
Dec 12, 2020
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sure thing.

May I ask why you're doing a compression test on a 2020?
I have to add oil between oil changes often. It’s only on the second oil change. I have a problem with it losing power. A couple times I’ve started it up smelt burning oil and big cloud of smoke came out the exhaust. I’ve had it at the dealers and they cannot find anything wrong with it but they failed to do a compression test. I think there’s a problem with the top end on this machine. I want to get to the bottom of this as my warranty ended back in May.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!