DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
OK...went to GoAZ in Scottsdale today...and they had a 2 seater...so i finally got a test ride!!
This was only on pavement, so only a few observations can be made here...

1) Unlike most who have posted, my first impression was that the Pioneer actually looks smaller in person than on paper/screen. Perhaps this was due to it being a two seater.
The salesman ( Tommi ) i and got just under 60 inches wheel-to-wheel width by eyeballing a tape measure. Rear actually seems slightly smaller. Honda lists 60. Perhaps the fender flares are the widest. This is good news...as i'm hoping it will fit on my 5x8 trailer ( which measures about 62 wide ).

2) Ergo's are awesome!! I've only driven only 3 SxS's now ( Rhino, RZR 570 ), and the Honda is by far the most comfy. You sit higher than probably any SxS save perhaps a Can-Am Maverick, and are up over the front wheels ( i think this was key to getting a 4 seater in a 2 seat wheel base ). Legroom is good with no ankle twisting to rest your foot on the gas pedal, and the steering wheel seems about perfect. Seats seem great as well.
I never noticed until today that the Pioneer has no external door handles, only inside. They are super easy to work, so this would only be an issue if you plan on running a full cab. For reference, i am 6'1" and about 260...so i ain't no shrimp.

3) Drivetrain: Quiet exhaust note, and very little mechanical racket getting to the driver. Only some drive train noise when decelerating. Brakes seen good enough for anything but road-racing.

This was may first experience with the Honda 3-speed drive-train save for a very short test ride on the Rincon in its first year. This will take some getting used to...and i don't mean that in a bad way. I was surprised how quickly the Pion got into 3rd ( about 18MPH under light throttle ), and from there it's pure RPM to top speed ( which i didn't have room to test, most are saying 40-45Mph ).

I was hoping for a little more relaxed RPM cruising in the 30 MPH range than my old 450 Foreman has. I've never been the type who likes to rev the pee out of things, and in this regard, i think this drive-train will be both great, and disappointing. Disappointing due to the above mentioned 3rd gear shift speed and RPM from there up, yet at the same time at other casual trail speeds, the machine will be putting along in a relaxed manner due to the fact that it doesn't have a CVT and the accompanying constant revs that go along with it. This has always been my biggest complaint about CVT's ( except, of course, the Rubicon Hondamatic, which only gives you revs when you need them ). I love to short shift my old 450 and just ride that torque along...
But...with a 3 speed, you can only get so much, and only a real test ride on trails will tell the true story of gearing. The gearing thing will not stop me from getting one...

One thing i did notice was that the 3 speed eagerly shifts down in response to braking with the pedal....sometimes with a small amount of jerk. I don't know if Honda uses fuzzy logic for its tranny programming ( adjusting to rider style ) and it was just too new to "know" my habits, or if it was just the new machine syndrome, but i expect this would go away with some miles...and at its worst, was only noticeable. Engine braking seemed good to me.

Power seems great. I did an unscientific power test by applying the brakes and giving the machine throttle from a stop. The brakes would not stop the machine from taking off, no matter how hard they were mashed. Took very little throttle to do so, either. Detractors will point out that these new brakes are not at anywhere near full power, yet i would also point out that neither is the engine. I just don't think power is a concern here for us adults who don't want to jump every dune we can find.

4) Handling: Can't really report much on this due to only riding pavement. Judging from the width and low center of gravity, i don't see stability being a problem.

From what small bumps where encountered, it seems nice and cushy riding, but i will need real terrain to know.

Perhaps the most telling thing about its handling was the fact that i just plain forgot to pay attention to the steering effort. Since i was doing circles on pavement, i think that my lack of attention to it is very telling, and that the steering effort is just as Honda promised....light!

Summary: I wan't one!
If you're looking at the Pioneer in the first place, then i think you are of the right mindset to be very pleased with this machine. Like most Honda's, it will contribute to the ride...errr, i mean DRIVE , but never get in the way of your enjoyment of it. It's well built, bullet proof, and comfy as heck. At $9999 and $11699, they are steals. These things will sell like crazy.

Soon as i can swing it, i will have one.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Good review! your not helping my patience waiting for my 700-2 to come in.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
I'll second that - very well written indeed thank you! I'm headed out to pick up my red 4 early tomorrow morning so tomorrow will be a very good day! Just hope I can sleep tonight :) I ordered the full plastic roof I really wanted the fabric w rear panel but it wasn't in stock yet. Not sure what the plastic roof looks like other than the few pics from honda but ill post some up later when I get it put on.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks DG. Great review.
I would say since you cant remember the feel of the steering that it must be good... seeing you were on payment.
You got us all ready to load up and drive to the nearest dealer and pick one up.
Thank you.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
My hard roof has been sitting at the dealership for about three weeks. called my dealer last week and still no info on my 700-2. I ordered it in Camo maybe their making them last. He was going to check with his Honda rep. and get back to me, but that was a week ago! Delivery date is sept 28th but were hoping it will be sooner being I preordered it July 1st

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Elk,
Haven't seen a Camo one yet.... Just now seeing red one's roll in... But when we find one it will be posted on front page... Hopefully it will be the one at your dealer.
Fingers crossed..

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hondasxs said:
Elk,
Haven't seen a Camo one yet.... Just now seeing red one's roll in... But when we find one it will be posted on front page... Hopefully it will be the one at your dealer.
Fingers crossed..
Don't know where Elk is, but one of the ones in Phoenix is a camo 2 seater.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
I'm in northern Minnesota. 2 dealers have the 700-4 on hand.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Elkhunter said:
I'm in northern Minnesota. 2 dealers have the 700-4 on hand.
That's a bit of a drive to Phoenix. Oh well.

Maybe the camos will show up for you soon.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
OK...local dealer finally got in a 700-4 and i took a look at it today.

Some observations...

At first sight, the rear seating area looked too small for anything but kids. But, low and behold, i climbed back there and it was surprisingly comfy. Floorboards are high, but overall, most normal sized humans should be fine ( again, i am 6'1" and 260 ).

Don't know if air filter is still accessed by tilting the bed ( likely ), but if not, you may have to remove a panel held in by the traditional Honda plastic rivets.

I've driven 2 of them now, and both had the steering wheel off to the right.

You can see where the extra weight comes in. The 4 has several extra bars, including some that are not so obvious...like the extra length rails at the very bottom of the machine. Bracing for a step, reinforcements for the handholds on the side, etc. I have to admit that the 2 has a cleaner, lighter, more athletic look in person.

This machine seemed to have noticeably less power than the 2 i drove. The 2 was at sea level, more or less, while this one was driven at nearly 1 mile altitude, so that may explain it. The area was also more open...and i am pretty tired from not getting much sleep ( you'd be surprised how much something like that can affect your perception ). Also had a Polaris-loving salesman with me that might have sucked the happiness out of it. And then there is the extra 130 lbs the 4 carries...or the fact that it had less than 3 miles on it. It was so green, in fact, that the brakes hardly worked!

The abrupt downshifting i noticed on the 2 was present for about 2 stops, and then it seemed to smooth out.

Even if there was a glitch with this machine...it doesn't matter, since i won't be buying it. Salesman quoted me just over 14K out the door. Sounds like I'll be going to a Phoenix dealer instead...

B

Bfree

Sep 20, 2013
I drove a 2 seater this past week, and your eval of the P2 is spot on. I currently have a RZR 4 and am trying to decide rather or not to sale it for a P4. After my limited drive time in the P2 Im still on the fence. My RZR 4 definately has more power but the length of it and the limited utility use has the P4 very much in the running. I just need to get some seat time to decide if its for me or not.

The 3 dealerships that Ive looked at for the Pioneers had theirs all presold and in fact 1 dealer had 16 of them on the list waiting to be delivered. However, I was told that since the Camo (the 1 i want) was announced later they will be avail. soon, possible in a cpl of weeks.

The salesman also said that Honda is going to be introducing 5 SXS models altogether which he said was the P2 and P4, a sport model and then he said not sure after that. So I may hold out a while to see what all Honda up their sleeves.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
Sport Model !!! The world can hardly wait!! I'm envisioning a new breed Honda Pilot with a CBR based inline 4 and electronic shift. Maybe I'm just dreamin..lol!

B

Bugnbrian

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2013
Swamper said:
Sport Model !!! The world can hardly wait!! I'm envisioning a new breed Honda Pilot with a CBR based inline 4 and electronic shift. Maybe I'm just dreamin..lol!
Honda introduces the first true sport side by side with real gears, automatic shift or switch to manual with paddle shifters on the steering wheel!!! Swamper, I'm dreamin too...but wouldnt that be cool!?!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well....it's official!

I put 1500 down to reserve the next Pioneer-4. They are still hard to come by here in AZ, so it may be as much as a month...but i need the time to set up my infrastructure for this machine.

R

ranchhand77

Aug 19, 2013
DG Rider, I am also a victim of the Arizona blues as I have been waiting since I seen the first one roll out at Coyote Honda. They had one of the first 4 seaters in the country. I put my order in then and been waiting since. I already have the windshield and roof, and I bought the custom switch panel discussed on the other discussion thread. Please let me know if your dealer gets a batch in. I will drive to your part of the state if that is where they are. Good Luck!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!