ATV/UTV Action new issue features Pioneer "test".

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The September 2013 issue of ATV/UTV Action features a test of the Pioneer-4 and 2 seater. This looks to be more of the "first ride" type of impressions that we have seen on the web for some weeks now...but they call it a test.

They remark that they had "a few hours" on the machines, so i didn't expect the type of in-depth reporting that some mags will give ( which i wouldn't expect of this mag anyway ), but they do give some insight as to what we might expect from the new UTV.

If you know the mag, you know their format is to ask a series of questions a perspective owner might ask, and then give answers.

Some highlights...

Q: "How fast is the 675?"
A: "Fast enough to be fun."

This was a surprise for me. I expected the Pion to get flamed here, but they seemed to be pleased with its power. They also commented on its quick throttle response and that its corner to corner acceleration was good enough to have fun.

Q: "How's the new suspension?"
A: "Ample and plush!"

From the comments, the Pion is softly sprung which gives it a good ride, at the cost of bottoming on big hits. Nothing we haven't heard there. They are hoping the Pioneer Sport ( if one ever exists ) will have fancy res shocks.

Q: "How does it handle?"
A: "Better than the Big Red."

Translation: Expect more stable than nimble here. Kind of a cop out, but typical of the mag. They also mentioned "Fairly light steering".

Q: "How is trail comfort?"
A: "Awesome!"

They mention very little vibration and exhaust noise, and that the ergo's were great. They also mention that Honda used some type of vinyl membrane under the floor panels to prevent dust from getting on occupants. This was the first time i had seen this mentioned.

Notes:
Like most who simply don't understand how a torque converter like that in the Pion's tranny works, they submit that rock-crawlers might miss the lack of a low range.

The 4 has stiffer shock tuning than the 2 seater.

They noticed more rattles on the 4...kinda to be expected.

They called the pricing of the Pion's "steals". This was one area where they pointed out the obvious advantages over the competition.

The mag has always been a bit of a foo-foo mag, so we will have to wait for others to get really detailed reports on the Pion, but overall they were very flattering in the review.

Can't wait for a more in-depth test....or even my own test!!!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya. Sounds like the basic test ride Honda allowed the media to do back in June.
Thanks for the info. I'm still going to pick up a copy and read it. lol.

B

Bugnbrian

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2013
I wonder who the magazines will choose to go against the Pioneer 4 seater in shootouts or side by side comparisons. I have not been looking specifically at the 2 seater info or impressions, but based on my time in the 4 with the back seats down, I am guessing it will do great against Prowlers, Rangers, and Mules in its power class, but the 4seater is kind of an ace up the sleeve type machine and will be tricky to match up with. OR the fact it is more than a one trick pony simply means...HONDA WINS!!!!

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
I think it will be compared to all sxs's you mention "but" the 4 seats will definitely be a big plus for Honda! I did a patent search online and found the patents on the rear seats. Honda did their homework and I'm sure the competition is a bit uneasy about it. In fact I believe the 3 seat Yamaha Viking was a quick attempt at a response to this new concept. For me I wasn't really seriously looking to buy a new machine until I saw the convertible seats. That and being a big Honda fan pretty much sealed the deal for me.

B

Bugnbrian

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2013
Honda did know what they were doing. The Honda Ridgeline pickup came out with that amazing "trunk" accessed from the bed floor. That was one of those,"why didn't I think of that!" moments. I am sure all the other pickup manufacturers wish they could do the same, some have the bedside compartment, but none have copied Honda even though theirs is clearly the best approach to extra storage.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
The Ridgeline.. I'm sure it is a nice truck.. it just fell short in the looks dept. in my opinion.

B

Bugnbrian

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2013
Power too, but the point is Honda broke into the pickup truck segment with an innovation that rose from the floor and none of the others have been able to recreate that innovation in such an intelligent way. I believe the same will prove true with Pioneers innovation rising from the floor. The point was never about the Ridgeline as a pretty truck, in responding to the previous post regarding patents and Honda's intelligent use of them, I was illustrating that Honda had done that before. Intelligence...that is what I appreciate.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
Agree there - they obviously do a good job finding gaps in the market and come with a surprise. I'm still crazy excited about the rear folding seats and the neighborhood kids definitely love it just as much ! Except I still get... "I WANNA DRIVE!!" a lot. LOL!!

B

Bugnbrian

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2013
Stay strong Swamper! Those miles are your miles! Keep it that way, ha ha.

B

Bugnbrian

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2013
I like just raising one back seat. I got to have my dog's bed on the floor where the fourth seat stows. She is fat and old and earned the right to nap on our rides.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
I'm sure she loves it! My 2 slobbering choc labs are begging to ride too but haven't taken em yet.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!