P1000m5 Confused about tire size

Redmist

Redmist

Jun 9, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking to up grade my stock tires. Wanting a taller tire without lifting the Honda. Standard tire widths are 9" on front and 11" on rear. I was looking at Blackwater EVOS at Rocky Mountain ATV and the only size they have for 12" rims is 28-10-12. Can you put the same width on front and rear? Are do I need to look at a different tire?
Any suggestion on other opitions for a taller tire without lifting the Honda (28" or 29")?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That would be a great upgrade for a pioneer with no lift kit. You can put the 28 x 10 tires at all four corners.

I'm not sure how they would look on the OEM wheels though. The front wheels are narrow and the rear wheels are wider. Maybe someone can chime in that has put 10 inch wide tires on OEM wheels

You may want to consider buying some wheels because you will be able to get the correct width. And, if you're buying wheels you could get 14 inch and open up the tire sizes that are available.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
I would like to know i looked a a pix on the web site he put 28 10 or 9 all the way around but he said the were 30 inch tall and he had no problem i will go look for it and be back.

Reactions: rtn001
perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
this was the email he sent.

STI Chicane 28x7x14 all the same size, the size is a bit misleading as they are a full 3inches taller than the stock tires, which are supposed to be 27 but are not. They do not rub, but I did need to trim the full skid plates added

Redmist

Redmist

Jun 9, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

STI Chicane 28x7x14 all the same size, the size is a bit misleading as they are a full 3inches taller than the stock tires, which are supposed to be 27 but are not. They do not rub, but I did need to trim the full skid plates added

Looks like a great tire also, may have to up grade to 14" wheel, what width would work witth these? Maybe I should have bought the deluxe.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
same lug pattern, and there some threads out there that people are selling the tire and rims look around.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I think he was saying that the 28 inch tires were 3 inches taller than stock tires. Not 30 inches overall.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Looks like a great tire also, may have to up grade to 14" wheel, what width would work witth these? Maybe I should have bought the deluxe.

Most people use a 5-2 wheel and then a 1 inch wheel spacer in the back. The rear track width is narrower than the front so if you use the same size all the way around, you'll want a 1 inch wheel spacer in the back.

I used STI HD 5–2. They were just under $100 each at Rocky Mountain ATV. Plus they are bead locks.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Looking to up grade my stock tires. Wanting a taller tire without lifting the Honda. Standard tire widths are 9" on front and 11" on rear. I was looking at Blackwater EVOS at Rocky Mountain ATV and the only size they have for 12" rims is 28-10-12. Can you put the same width on front and rear? Are do I need to look at a different tire?
Any suggestion on other opitions for a taller tire without lifting the Honda (28" or 29")?

Thats the tire I have and love them.
Evos 28-10-12 on STI HD 12x7 5+2

I'm running them at 10 psi - no rubbing. When I installed them I pumped them up to 20 to get any stretching out of the way and they rubbed - so this is about max size to fit without lift.

I like the ride but its true about having fewer choices in the 12 inch - If I ever want to changes things. Big IF...

IMG 2751

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I am running 28 inch blackwater evos on the stock deluxe rim at 10psi.I kept the 9 inch width in the front and 11 in the rear. I like them a lot for trail riding on dirt. Unfortunately, a lot of places I ride have a lot of road riding and/or hard pack. At low speeds on those surfaces there is a pretty good shudder; especially when stopping. But, they are tough and have pulled me through some slop with no issues.

Redmist

Redmist

Jun 9, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I'm running them at 10 psi - no rubbing. When I installed them I pumped them up to 20 to get any stretching out of the way and they rubbed - so this is about max size to fit without lift.

I like the ride but its true about having fewer choices in the 12 inch - If I ever want to changes things. Big IF...

View attachment 18437
I like that combo of tire and wheel, If I buy new it sounds like 14" would be the ticket. Did you have to put any spacers when using this setup?
The STI Chicane is another tire that sounds good.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I like that combo of tire and wheel, If I buy new it sounds like 14" would be the ticket. Did you have to put any spacers when using this setup?
The STI Chicane is another tire that sounds good.
Yeah - I currently have 1 inch on the front and 2 inch on the back.
That was meant to be an experiment - and then try just 1 inch on the back. The current setup feel so good, I have done the switch yet.

The extra inch spacer i have adds stress to the wheel bearings.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am running 28 inch blackwater evos on the stock deluxe rim at 10psi.I kept the 9 inch width in the front and 11 in the rear. I like them a lot for trail riding on dirt. Unfortunately, a lot of places I ride have a lot of road riding and/or hard pack. At low speeds on those surfaces there is a pretty good shudder; especially when stopping. But, they are tough and have pulled me through some slop with no issues.
I'm surprised to hear that yours ride rough on the road. My 30's ride really well, just that roar at low speeds. Btw last Thursday we proved that the 28 and 30" Evos were practically the same size overall height. Granted my 30s only had 8lbs of air but that's where they ride the best.

Reactions: rtn001 and joeymt33
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I'm surprised to hear that yours ride rough on the road. My 30's ride really well, just that roar at low speeds. Btw last Thursday we proved that the 28 and 30" Evos were practically the same size overall height. Granted my 30s only had 8lbs of air but that's where they ride the best.

The ride when cruising along is fine, it's just when driving slow and coming to a stop. But in the dirt, rocks, and light mud, they are awesome and smooth. Really, you can't go wrong with these tires

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The ride when cruising along is fine, it's just when driving slow and coming to a stop. But in the dirt, rocks, and light mud, they are awesome and smooth. Really, you can't go wrong with these tires
I couldn't agree more. I've surpassed their limits in the mud but for an all around tire they are awesome

Redmist

Redmist

Jun 9, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 18437
i like your set up, did you have to add any spacers?

Bradmc87

Bradmc87

Jan 5, 2016
Conehatta, Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm also wanting 28" tires without lifting. I'm gonna go with the 28" swamp lite tires which should fit with no problem. Only problem is they only sell the 9" and 11" wide tires for the 14" stock wheels. I'd like to go 11" wide all the way around without having to buy aftermarket wheels, but just don't think they would fit on the front stock wheels. What if I bought two rear wheels and put them on the front you guys think 11" wide would fit on the front with no issues? Has this been done before, stock rear deluxe wheels all the way around?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm also wanting 28" tires without lifting. I'm gonna go with the 28" swamp lite tires which should fit with no problem. Only problem is they only sell the 9" and 11" wide tires for the 14" stock wheels. I'd like to go 11" wide all the way around without having to buy aftermarket wheels, but just don't think they would fit on the front stock wheels. What if I bought two rear wheels and put them on the front you guys think 11" wide would fit on the front with no issues? Has this been done before, stock rear deluxe wheels all the way around?

Interesting thought, I'm not sure if it would work or not. It wouldn't be too hard for you to try. I'm sure it would get around the trails pretty good with 11 inch wide tires all the way around.

Redmist

Redmist

Jun 9, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Deja vu...
Check posts 11 and 12
Whoops
Are the spacers need to push tire out 1" for clearance? You stated "The extra inch spacer i have adds stress to the wheel bearings", are you revering to the 2" spacers or any spacers?
On your wheel, does 5-2 indicate the offset? Looked for spacers but did not find any for Honda, what did you use?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!