Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
We fish the gulf and there is no place to get ice 30 miles out. The new generation of ice chests have helped.
Someone gifted me with a 35qt yeti for the SxS. I fill it on Friday and enjoy my weekend without having to leave camp and drive to the store for ice.

A testimony for the durability of a Yeti: We strapped the Yeti to the front rack of the Honda Foreman. My son was crossing a ditch when the strap broke sending the yeti flying. It opened and spilled all it's contents as he continued to run over it with the 4 wheeler. My son got an ear full every time I had to drink from a muddy can, but the Yeti was undamaged.

For some the price is difficult. You should not over spend your budget just because everyone else is buying a yeti (or similar).

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Old forty five, any luck with elk??? I'm going tomorrow first time. :). What area do u hunt? We are at sweet grass hills.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

North of Bozeman. Leaving Sunday.

Reactions: solrus
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
North of Bozeman. Leaving Sunday.
Awesome country. My brother once owned a place north of Three Forks along the Missouri just below the confluence of the Gallitan, Madison and Jefferson rivers. I spent time in those woods.

Last edited:
J

JTW

I'll be honest... I don't think the finish is quite what the Yeti is but for $99 it's hard to beat!

Reactions: solrus
advertisement
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Any luck old forty five????? Just filled deer tag the first night we went out. Tomorrow elk

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

We won't be hunting until Tuesday.

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine four. Just in time. Leaving at 5am tomorrow for a 10 day hunt. I will give a full report when back.
Gotta pack and get to bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. Back home and here is my review of the cooler:
Aesthetics - Side by side with Yeti, the Yeti wins but not by much. Yeti fit and finish is slightly better. Styling of the molds is a little different between the two, but if it were not for the embossed names, you would have a hard time telling one from the other.
Function - Handle disengages easier on the RTIC. This can be a plus or minus depending on the individual. Both coolers were used to hold beverages and lunch goods, stayed in the back of pickup truck and were subject to the same conditions. Results were pretty equal for not being a very controlled test. Non skid feet are impressive to the point of being a pain when you reach and try to drag the cooler across a surface. Very impressed by the drain, however I can see it getting lost if you are not careful. Ice retention is excellent. Rubber latches are secure but will grab your pants/leg if carried towards you. Easy fix, carry cooler with latches pointing away.
Overall very impressed with cooler. The warranty lacks (30days) but the durability and price make up for it imo. If I can get 20+ years out of my Playmate coolers, I should be able to get a couple lifetimes out of this one.
That being said, when I buy a large cooler it will not be an RTIC. A lifetime unconditional warranty will be a must.
Hope this long winded jumble helps.

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
Ok. Back home and here is my review of the cooler:
Aesthetics - Side by side with Yeti, the Yeti wins but not by much. Yeti fit and finish is slightly better. Styling of the molds is a little different between the two, but if it were not for the embossed names, you would have a hard time telling one from the other.
Function - Handle disengages easier on the RTIC. This can be a plus or minus depending on the individual. Both coolers were used to hold beverages and lunch goods, stayed in the back of pickup truck and were subject to the same conditions. Results were pretty equal for not being a very controlled test. Non skid feet are impressive to the point of being a pain when you reach and try to drag the cooler across a surface. Very impressed by the drain, however I can see it getting lost if you are not careful. Ice retention is excellent. Rubber latches are secure but will grab your pants/leg if carried towards you. Easy fix, carry cooler with latches pointing away.
Overall very impressed with cooler. The warranty lacks (30days) but the durability and price make up for it imo. If I can get 20+ years out of my Playmate coolers, I should be able to get a couple lifetimes out of this one.
That being said, when I buy a large cooler it will not be an RTIC. A lifetime unconditional warranty will be a must.
Hope this long winded jumble helps.

Good review. I have both and agree with what you said. I do have the 65 Rtic and it is my favorite cooler. Another $200 for a lifetime warranty on something so indestructible? Not worth it to me when I can buy two for the price of one. Plus, I like buying stuff. In 10 years I will want to replace it with whatever is new and cool at that time. Personal character fault for sure but I'm good with that.

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good review. I have both and agree with what you said. I do have the 65 Rtic and it is my favorite cooler. Another $200 for a lifetime warranty on something so indestructible? Not worth it to me when I can buy two for the price of one. Plus, I like buying stuff. In 10 years I will want to replace it with whatever is new and cool at that time. Personal character fault for sure but I'm good with that.

I agree on the two for one thinking. Especially on the smaller one.
My larger coolers take a good beating with fishing and hunting in remote places. Prefer a no questions asked warranty.
You make me laugh, I have the same character fault according to the wife

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!