Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I ordered a Pelican 35 last week and it came Friday so I could take it to Silverton while I work on the money pit. Now it does get cool here but I kept it in the building which I work in while wearing a long sleeve T shirt so its probably about 45 to 50. I only put 6# of ice in it Friday afternoon and right now Sunday night so that is two days later I still have plenty of cubes left for the martini shaker. I maybe camping out in a 110 year old building with no plumbing but that is no reason to be uncivilized. So I am very happy with the Pelican. Nicely made and heavy so I think they do a better job than some of the other makers. The 35 was $209 on Ebay. I very much like the latch system.
As I pointed out before, Pelican is used by search and rescue all over the world, the military and scientific explorations. It's probably the best out there.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@locoboilerguy you'll love the handles on that. One thing I can see is making sure they are latched during transport but that should be a given. Only drawback Like you mentioned is it's a lot heavier then others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Just make sure no lead paint anywhere, had one patient with lead chronic poisoning from living in the very old house.
So far so good. I actually had lead levels tested for myself and one employee after we spent two years restoring a locomotive covered in lead paint. We were fine. Everything I do seems to either have lead, zinc, Hanta virus or some other hazard the state of California has deemed to be a cause of cancer.

The area I am converting to living quarters has never had paint. Deer mice and pack rats are a different story. The machine shop part undoubtedly has some lead paint and all we can do is encapsulate it with other paint or insulation and sheet rock. The whole town of Silverton is one giant heavy metals super fund clean up site. Just riding your SxS there with the dust probably allows you to breath more lead based minerals in one day than you would casting bullets in a enclosed basement with no ventilation. When the good lord issued me this body he said nothing about the condition it had to be in when I turned it back in. I am hoping to wear everything out at the same time.
Thanks for the pic, I love it. Two christmas's ago we stayed a few nights in the nicely renovated historic hotel in Ouray. When we left we traveled south over the mountains through Silverton and then on to Durango, Alamosa, Taos etc. awesome area. I detoured into the village of Silverton, very quaint and historic. How far north of Silverton is that building, and is it visible from the highway that runs between Ouray and Silverton?

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the pic, I love it. Two christmas's ago we stayed a few nights in the nicely renovated historic hotel in Ouray. When we left we traveled south over the mountains through Silverton and then on to Durango, Alamosa, Taos etc. awesome area. I detoured into the village of Silverton, very quaint and historic. How far north of Silverton is that building, and is it visible from the highway that runs between Ouray and Silverton?
Its about 1 1/2 miles north east of town so you cannot see it from Hwy 550. Its a National Historic Site. Quaint is a good description of Silverton. San Juan County where Silverton is has the highest terrain elevation average of any county in the US. There is not one square foot of agricultural land and no growing season. One paved road and no stop lights in the entire county. But you can ride your SxS (snow allowing) from your front door into some very beautiful country.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So far so good. I actually had lead levels tested for myself and one employee after we spent two years restoring a locomotive covered in lead paint. We were fine. Everything I do seems to either have lead, zinc, Hanta virus or some other hazard the state of California has deemed to be a cause of cancer.

The area I am converting to living quarters has never had paint. Deer mice and pack rats are a different story. The machine shop part undoubtedly has some lead paint and all we can do is encapsulate it with other paint or insulation and sheet rock. The whole town of Silverton is one giant heavy metals super fund clean up site. Just riding your SxS there with the dust probably allows you to breath more lead based minerals in one day than you would casting bullets in a enclosed basement with no ventilation. When the good lord issued me this body he said nothing about the condition it had to be in when I turned it back in. I am hoping to wear everything out at the same time.
I LOVE THAT!!!

Reactions: Tigermark and JTW
J

JTW

So is that place yours?

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
So is that place yours?
I was going to build up there from scratch on a piece of land I have but this is a long term lease from the HS. Honestly it was to good a deal over the time and expense of building. We will spend the worst of winter doing some traveling.

J

JTW

I was going to build up there from scratch on a piece of land I have but this is a long term lease from the HS. Honestly it was to good a deal over the time and expense of building. We will spend the worst of winter doing some traveling.
Awesome!! I'm jealous!!!

J

JTW

Ok , guys, I was redirected to Lisa from RTiC :). Emailed her , waiting for response.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Ask about some bulk order discounts too.. I would consider giving them as client gifts if the price were right.

advertisement
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, let me see if Lisa replies, then will go from there.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I can understand you Alaska guys, and desert guys looking at these expensive coolers made for extreme conditions. However, It is hilarious to me that so many "weekend warrior" types are willing to spend HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS for a flipping cooler!!!! I mean, come on. I tell you what, whoever does the marketing for YETI - that person has to be a multi millionaire by now. I have NEVER, in my LIFE, had the need for a cooler that will keep ice for days on end. I have had all kinds of coolers, in fact I still have at least 3 that I use regularly. All are your basic run of the mill coleman types - my small one is many years old. They work awesome. They keep my beer nice and cold. Every time i see a truck with a YETI sticker on it, it just cracks me up! Apparently owning a YETI cooler warrants a badge of honor...

Heres the bottom line: If your beer is getting warm in the cooler, DRINK FASTER!!!

end of rant... sorry...

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I can understand you Alaska guys, and desert guys looking at these expensive coolers made for extreme conditions. However, It is hilarious to me that so many "weekend warrior" types are willing to spend HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS for a flipping cooler!!!! I mean, come on. I tell you what, whoever does the marketing for YETI - that person has to be a multi millionaire by now. I have NEVER, in my LIFE, had the need for a cooler that will keep ice for days on end. I have had all kinds of coolers, in fact I still have at least 3 that I use regularly. All are your basic run of the mill coleman types - my small one is many years old. They work awesome. They keep my beer nice and cold. Every time i see a truck with a YETI sticker on it, it just cracks me up! Apparently owning a YETI cooler warrants a badge of honor...

Heres the bottom line: If your beer is getting warm in the cooler, DRINK FASTER!!!

end of rant... sorry...
My reason for the better coolers was prompted by cooler size as compared to the needed ice capacity. Yes you can buy a cheap larger cooler and put 20# plus of ice in it. Or you can buy a smaller high efficiency cooler and only put 6# of ice in it to get through the same period of time with remaining ice. The Pelican I just used last weekend had 6# of cubes from my fridge put in Friday afternoon and last night at about 11 pm I weighted the remaining ice and it was still two pounds. Not a lot but the inside of the cooler was still under 40 degrees. So for me its the less ice used and easier to just fill from the home ice cube maker and not have to spend money for ice as much or as often. So honestly considering I am using this cooler virtually every weekend my savings in ice will probably pay for it in less than a year. With the less efficient coolers I was buying ice after 1 plus day. $4 for a 10# bag at the local convenience store in town.

I see your point and its really a personal choice. What works for one guy may not work for another. BTW I never could choke down the price of a Yeti as there are more affordable makes that are just as good.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4

end of rant... sorry...
You obviously haven't been to the south in the summer Lol. My coolers are more for the 90+ humid summer days. Those are the days a cheap cooler has trouble keeping ice. Especially when you are camping for a few days...

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
You obviously haven't been to the south in the summer Lol. My coolers are more for the 90+ humid summer days. Those are the days a cheap cooler has trouble keeping ice. Especially when you are camping for a few days...
I lived in Miami in 2004-2005. And we get 90 degree high humidity days here. That being said, I have no need for a better cooler than the ones I own. Then again, I technically have no need for the hundreds of dollars worth of accessories on my Honda, and I don't actually need the Honda either.....

We blow our money on the toys we want, and sometimes have to resort to ridiculous arguments to justify them. To me, the $200 - $600 box to hold my beer is just over the top. It's just my opinion. I can buy a lot of beer and ice for the price of a grizzly bear proof cooler.

Reactions: JTW
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I lived in Miami in 2004-2005. And we get 90 degree high humidity days here. That being said, I have no need for a better cooler than the ones I own. Then again, I technically have no need for the hundreds of dollars worth of accessories on my Honda, and I don't actually need the Honda either.....

We blow our money on the toys we want, and sometimes have to resort to ridiculous arguments to justify them. To me, the $200 - $600 box to hold my beer is just over the top. It's just my opinion. I can buy a lot of beer and ice for the price of a grizzly bear proof cooler.
I hear ya man we actually don't "need" 95% of the things all of us have. To each and their own, I have Orca coolers and love them. My buddy is a re-seller so I got a great price. I doubt I would've ever paid full price so I'm glad I had this option. Now that I've been using one for a few years, I'll tell you they are worth the money. I've probably paid for mine with the money I've saved in ice alone.

J

JTW

I agree.. that's why I bought a $100 Rtic and not a Yeti.. it's worth 100 to me to have one that I can actually strap down and open the lid!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

end of rant... sorry...
It gets hot and humid in the summer in OK/AR and with the ice chest on the rear deck above that hot motor, I cannot keep ice all day. For a weekend in the bush, I'm screwed. I hope the Pelican speaks to this.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
The wife an I regularly go to Montana in the summer to visit friends and our granddaughter. The first year we went we used our old Igloo cooler. Leaving a cooler in minivan really sucks the ice. One to two bags a day. Back then Yeti and Engel were the only other game in town. I bought an Engel and it was great. A bag of ice every other day and a lot less mess to deal with. Since then we've picked up an Engel portable refridgerator (MT27F-U1). That pretty well took care of all the problems...pricey, but a cooler can't hold a candle to a fridge.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The wife an I regularly go to Montana in the summer to visit friends and our granddaughter. The first year we went we used our old Igloo cooler. Leaving a cooler in minivan really sucks the ice. One to two bags a day. Back then Yeti and Engel were the only other game in town. I bought an Engel and it was great. A bag of ice every other day and a lot less mess to deal with. Since then we've picked up an Engel portable refridgerator (MT27F-U1). That pretty well took care of all the problems...pricey, but a cooler can't hold a candle to a fridge.
Old forty five, any luck with elk??? I'm going tomorrow first time. :). What area do u hunt? We are at sweet grass hills.

Reactions: JTW
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!