P500 Cooler for P500 RTIC vs Yeti

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 25797 I just wanted to share this. I put ice in the new cooler Thursday before last 10 days ago and damn thing still has ice. To be fair it's been cooler out but it's been in the super warm shop last 3 days as well. This pic is as I'm leaving tonight. Never have I seen something like that! I think other coolers can do this however I can't speak for them but I can speak for the Pelican.
I ordered a Pelican 35 last week and it came Friday so I could take it to Silverton while I work on the money pit. Now it does get cool here but I kept it in the building which I work in while wearing a long sleeve T shirt so its probably about 45 to 50. I only put 6# of ice in it Friday afternoon and right now Sunday night so that is two days later I still have plenty of cubes left for the martini shaker. I maybe camping out in a 110 year old building with no plumbing but that is no reason to be uncivilized. So I am very happy with the Pelican. Nicely made and heavy so I think they do a better job than some of the other makers. The 35 was $209 on Ebay. I very much like the latch system.

Reactions: JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I ordered a Pelican 35 last week and it came Friday so I could take it to Silverton while I work on the money pit. Now it does get cool here but I kept it in the building which I work in while wearing a long sleeve T shirt so its probably about 45 to 50. I only put 6# of ice in it Friday afternoon and right now Sunday night so that is two days later I still have plenty of cubes left for the martini shaker. I maybe camping out in a 110 year old building with no plumbing but that is no reason to be uncivilized. So I am very happy with the Pelican. Nicely made and heavy so I think they do a better job than some of the other makers. The 35 was $209 on Ebay. I very much like the latch system.
How about pics of that 110 year old building?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It's weird I watched several comparisons and people had real varying results. The largest problem is many coolers say a specific size and they aren't that size so the smaller one got more ice so to speak so it would automatically hold temp longer. Then you'd add more ice to the larger and it would hold longer. It makes a big difference if the fluids go in cold,how many times it's opened and temps obviously. For the most part what I saw was the Orca and Pelican holding longer but any if the Roto molded units held well.
I think it really comes down to size for the buck(remember many aren't as large as they claim)handle types,ease of use and for some bottle opener (ours does have one but we usually don't bring glass into the woods so that doesn't overwhelm me) hinge types,and latch types. So many of that is preference. Any of these are so much better then the average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
How about pics of that 110 year old building?
20160806 125513 This is the old power house north of Silverton. Was build in 1908 as the substation for the hydro plant at Tacoma which still operates by the way. Its going to have a machine shop on the ground floor and a apartment upstairs. Then I am adding on to the left for a engine house for the steam locomotive for the railroad we are building. Small operation but will keep us out of the bars.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 25857 This is the old power house north of Silverton. Was build in 1908 as the substation for the hydro plant at Tacoma which still operates by the way. Its going to have a machine shop on the ground floor and a apartment upstairs. Then I am adding on to the left for a engine house for the steam locomotive for the railroad we are building. Small operation but will keep us out of the bars.

Just make sure no lead paint anywhere, had one patient with lead chronic poisoning from living in the very old house.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
View attachment 25857 This is the old power house north of Silverton. Was build in 1908 as the substation for the hydro plant at Tacoma which still operates by the way. Its going to have a machine shop on the ground floor and a apartment upstairs. Then I am adding on to the left for a engine house for the steam locomotive for the railroad we are building. Small operation but will keep us out of the bars.
Thanks for the pic, I love it. Two christmas's ago we stayed a few nights in the nicely renovated historic hotel in Ouray. When we left we traveled south over the mountains through Silverton and then on to Durango, Alamosa, Taos etc. awesome area. I detoured into the village of Silverton, very quaint and historic. How far north of Silverton is that building, and is it visible from the highway that runs between Ouray and Silverton?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Got my shipping confirmation last night, awesome deal. My coworker has the Yeti of the same size sitting in the office so we can do a comparison when mine comes in.
Cool, do as good as possible ensuring all things equal. Including allowing your new one to acclimate to the office temperature for a couple days before you begin the test. It seems important to get objective results.

Reactions: LEOshorty
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Monte it's kinda weird humor but well worth the watch if you love 'merica.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh I have no doubts, I just already have my opinion on the best movie.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!