P1000 Cooling fan issues

B

BechynFarms

Nov 7, 2022
Midwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2018 P1000-5 So I recently installed the diy fan override kit. Apparently the same kit is made for the 1000 as is for the 500/700, just the wires are reversed. I wired for auto/on operation. Turns out the wires on the over ride harness were backwards.I got the the pins switched around. Seemed to work but fan seemed weak. Having used the machine a few time since I cannot get the fan to engage at all and machine wants to run warm as a result. Possible some damage was done upon initial hook up. Jumped 12v to fan and it really spins so believe fan is good. Eliminate machine side of harness and supply ground to green wire on over ride harness and rocker switch works to run fan over ride. Check for continuity between green wire on machine harness and ground and no luck. Can somebody tell me where that green wire goes to so I can further trouble shoot? Little black box under drivers seat has connector with blue and green wires like I found at fan connection. Could that have gotten fried? Thanks

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2018 P1000-5 So I recently installed the diy fan override kit. Apparently the same kit is made for the 1000 as is for the 500/700, just the wires are reversed. I wired for auto/on operation. Turns out the wires on the over ride harness were backwards.I got the the pins switched around. Seemed to work but fan seemed weak. Having used the machine a few time since I cannot get the fan to engage at all and machine wants to run warm as a result. Possible some damage was done upon initial hook up. Jumped 12v to fan and it really spins so believe fan is good. Eliminate machine side of harness and supply ground to green wire on over ride harness and rocker switch works to run fan over ride. Check for continuity between green wire on machine harness and ground and no luck. Can somebody tell me where that green wire goes to so I can further trouble shoot? Little black box under drivers seat has connector with blue and green wires like I found at fan connection. Could that have gotten fried? Thanks

View attachment 387541
Why do you think wires were backwards? I have this on my PK1-5 and it was plug and play like it says. Also the store claims this is for the 1000 only and not for 700 or 500.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
2018 P1000-5 So I recently installed the diy fan override kit. Apparently the same kit is made for the 1000 as is for the 500/700,
Did u buy it from the club store?

Also welcome, any Pics of the whole rig? There currently isn't any on the site of your 3 posts. POIDH

H

HondaTech

View attachment 387541

Honda had an ecm update for the fan not working on some models.

Shoot me a VIN and i could see if your machine has the recall, if it's been done.

B

BechynFarms

Nov 7, 2022
Midwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did u buy it from the club store?

Also welcome, any Pics of the whole rig? There currently isn't any on the site of your 3 posts. POIDH
Why do you think wires were backwards? I have this on my PK1-5 and it was plug and play like it says. Also the store claims this is for the 1000 only and not for 700 or 500.

Bought from Richard at Honda sxs.com. When I installed and flipped switch nothing happened and could smell hot wires. Contacted seller and told him what had happened he was very good over the phone walked me through how to switch the pins around in the connector. He told me the same over ride kit is used on the 1000 as is on the 500/700 models. He explained that a harness for the 500/700 must’ve gotten into a bag for a 1000 model and that all I needed to do was swap the wires around. I did. It seemed to work okay after that but didn’t seem like fan had full power. Shortly after it does not work at all. Even tried plugging fan into factory wiring to eliminate over ride kit wiring. Still doesn’t come on. I believe I’m not getting a good ground from machine side harness that is pictured (green wire) to wherever that wire goes to. When I ran jumper ground wire to that green wire with override harness plugged in, I was then able to get the fan to run properly with the rocker switch for the over ride

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Hondasxs is Richard. So this is a site store purchase. The forum has the ground locations posted in it many times over. You can hit the search bar and find it I’m sure

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Following up on this.
The 500 and 700 connectors are reversed making them incompatible with each other.
The 700 can be made compatible. The 500 can not as it has a constant power.
Your first image is correct. Blue on the right.

The black box you speak of is positively controlled. The ground passes through from the best of my knowledge anyways. It should always have solid ground.

Occasionally things and mistakes happen when building these kits.
Message me directly and I will do what I can to get you fixed up.
Our full fan override kit introduced ground so if ground is the problem that might solve it.
I will send you one to test if you like.

H

HondaTech

So it appears your unit has never had that update.

You also have 2 open recalls
KK1 Stuck Throttle PEDAL
KL2 Steering Joint Recall

I dont know if dealers are still doing the fan update, since it's based off the emissions warranty (30 months). I'll do them all day long if needed, I can have it updating while doing other work.

B

BechynFarms

Nov 7, 2022
Midwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So it appears your unit has never had that update.

You also have 2 open recalls
KK1 Stuck Throttle PEDAL
KL2 Steering Joint Recall

I dont know if dealers are still doing the fan update, since it's based off the emissions warranty (30 months). I'll do them all day long if needed, I can have it updating while doing other work.
Where are you located? I’m in sw Minnesota. Would the open recalls be something a Honda dealer could still do for me yet at no charge? Thanks for the information

B

BechynFarms

Nov 7, 2022
Midwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bringing This back to light..can anybody verify resistance for me through the fan control unit under the seat with an ohm meter? Unplug both connectors and check between the pins that the green wires go to..I need to get machine back up and running. Crops are growing and have stones to pick! TIA

IMG 2695

H

HondaTech

Where are you located? I’m in sw Minnesota. Would the open recalls be something a Honda dealer could still do for me yet at no charge? Thanks for the information

Sorry I never saw this message, yes any recalls are something a dealer should perform if your unit ever makes it to their service department.

The Fan Update however isn't a recall and may not be covered, but I still do them for free.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!