P1000 Cracks in bed...anyone else?

Dallas

Dallas

Nov 15, 2015
NorCal
Hello, my '16 Pioneer has developed two identical cracks in the front of the bed plastic. Anyone else have this issue? I have the extended warranty, but I don't know if it would be covered or if its even worth dealing with. Buggy has always been stored in a barn, only sunlight it sees is if I'm using it around the house. It's had dirt and wood chips in the bed, but far from abused..275 miles on it.
IMG 7256
IMG 7257

Dallas

Dallas

Nov 15, 2015
NorCal
I would agree with you...except nothing has hit it. Firewood gets hand loaded...debating just putting a metal plate across the top to keep it from spreading. My profile pic is about as abused as it's ever been lol...

W

wyodlr

Aug 15, 2016
Cody Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello, my '16 Pioneer has developed two identical cracks in the front of the bed plastic. Anyone else have this issue? I have the extended warranty, but I don't know if it would be covered or if its even worth dealing with. Buggy has always been stored in a barn, only sunlight it sees is if I'm using it around the house. It's had dirt and wood chips in the bed, but far from abused..275 miles on it. View attachment 87540View attachment 87541
that piece is about $35

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I dont think it was any fault of yours. Looks like the nut got over tightened at the factory and eventually the plastic cracked under stress.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dallas

Dallas

Nov 15, 2015
NorCal
Ok thank you. Was just wondering if it was common. I’ll just buy a new piece for it instead of dealing with the dealer. Off to wire up a second battery. Wish me luck.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok thank you. Was just wondering if it was common. I’ll just buy a new piece for it instead of dealing with the dealer. Off to wire up a second battery. Wish me luck.
If you have time take it to the dealer. It should be covered, and use the cash for beer to drink while your trying to figure out the dual battery set up. lol. The batteries hook up is easy just take your time.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I dont think it was any fault of yours. Looks like the nut got over tightened at the factory and eventually the plastic cracked under stress.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
IIRC, those are shoulder bolts. No way to stress the plastic by over tightening them unless they didn't use shoulder bolts. And it almost looks like there is evidence of sawing at the start of the crack. I wonder if that was someone's attempt at providing clearance for a hard rear panel and it wound up on your machine and maybe you didn't notice until now?

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF
W

WildTurkey

Feb 8, 2018
Nantahala NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you are interested in stopping the crack instead of replacing the part, a tip from aircraft when dealing with cracks in aluminum. Drill a small hole at the end of the crack to relieve the stress and prevent the crack from spreading.

Reactions: BWAF and mjn
Dallas

Dallas

Nov 15, 2015
NorCal
I thought about drilling but it had already made it past the one bolt hole. The buggy is at the dealer for the clutch and comfort updates now and thanks to my extended warranty they are replacing the bed panel under warranty. Thanks all.

Jiggs

Jiggs

Sep 11, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought about drilling but it had already made it past the one bolt hole. The buggy is at the dealer for the clutch and comfort updates now and thanks to my extended warranty they are replacing the bed panel under warranty. Thanks all.
Hello Dallas. I have the same buggy with 258miles on it. Curious, did you have problems with the clutch or just doing the upgrade? What is the comfort update?

Dallas

Dallas

Nov 15, 2015
NorCal
Nope, zero issues...occasionally a little jerky in reverse when cold but that's pretty normal I think. The comfort update is just for the heat...more under seat rubber shielding. Also the muffler cover update. I figured since Honda is having the updates all done until 2019 or 2020 I'd drop it off and get everything taken care of.

Jiggs

Jiggs

Sep 11, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nope, zero issues...occasionally a little jerky in reverse when cold but that's pretty normal I think. The comfort update is just for the heat...more under seat rubber shielding. Also the muffler cover update. I figured since Honda is having the updates all done until 2019 or 2020 I'd drop it off and get everything taken care of.
That's great! I'll probably take mine in and update all. Thanks for the reply.

H

HondaTech

You'll never get Honda to pay for that. They'll say it was damaged during use. I wouldn't waste time trying to get a dealer to fix, I'd just pay the $35 and save yourself some gas.

Dallas

Dallas

Nov 15, 2015
NorCal
I’m sure you’re right. It was going in for everything else so I figured I’d see what they said. Asked if I had extended warranty and said they’d look into it.

Dallas

Dallas

Nov 15, 2015
NorCal
Got the buggy back with the clutch update installed and a new bed panel. Much better feel when taking off and shifting with the clutch cover change.

Jiggs

Jiggs

Sep 11, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got the buggy back with the clutch update installed and a new bed panel. Much better feel when taking off and shifting with the clutch cover change.
That's great. I dropped my buggy off last week for all upgrades. Expecting if back on the 19th.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!