Curious How Members Have Gone about Purchasing Their Machine?

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
What ultimately brought you to purchase the machine you have?

Did you research various brands?
Did you research difference between various trim levels within a certain brand?
Were you more knowledgable than your selling dealer with regards to product knowledge?
Did you research real life issues with the model and brand you were interested in?
Did you research aftermarket accessory support for model and brand which interested you?
Did you compile an estimate of what desired accessories would cost you?
Did you create an outline of what your wants, desires and needs were?
Did you query owner's experiences with issues and dealer experiences?
Considering your interest in a brand and model, were you willing to overlook existing and previous owner's bad experiences with brand and model?
Once you purchase and determine you've made the correct decision, how much are you willing to spend to customize your new purchase?
Did you research, shop and compare comparable accessory brands?
Are YOU satisfied with your purchase and where you are with ownership?

Lot's of questions, but curious how many purchased on a whim or what brought you to purchase your ride or rides? I sell another brand which offer amazing product, but their side by sides have limitations regarding my desires. I have owned several differing brands over time and am pleased with the Honda product although I feel Honda should spend a little more time querying their customers and policing their retailers with regard to service capabilities and volume of parts retailed, inventoried and sold in relation to machine sales and overall satisfaction of selling dealers. I purchased my Pioneer from a SuperStore type dealership but wouldn't consider them for parts or service. That's not their Gigg. I found a dealership a hour and a half away that's amazing, and where I purchased my Talon

Lastly, How much do you enjoy the acquisition process and Farkeling of your new purchase? I personally feel HondaSXS.com offer's owner's of Honda SXS products an excellent resource for purchase and ownership.

No one needs to write a thesis in response, but share any or all responses to my query. Thanks

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
wasn’t that complicated for me

Dumped RZR XP

wanted the Honda DCT, if it’s a Honda can’t be that bad - didn't research crap other than saw it was a Honda with a DCT

cash in hand - my rule is cash only for toys

I always wait till end of summer when dealers are looking to dump units as floor plan is eating away at them and new year models are weeks away - right wrong or indifferent, lots of setup\delivery fees and crap were waived (pre-pandemic)

made deal over the phone - dealer experience in person was :10, I asked them to kindly drive onto my trailer while I signed paperwork and they counted the money…. In and out - no reason to slink around a dealership

bottom line, if it ended up being a bad decision, dump it and move on

Blownzuki

Blownzuki

Truth detector of the NTC.
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2020
Northern Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X4
wasn’t that complicated for me

Dumped RZR XP

wanted the Honda DCT, if it’s a Honda can’t be that bad - didn't research crap other than saw it was a Honda with a DCT

cash in hand - my rule is cash only for toys

I always wait till end of summer when dealers are looking to dump units as floor plan is eating away at them and new year models are weeks away - right wrong or indifferent, lots of setup\delivery fees and crap were waived (pre-pandemic)

made deal over the phone - dealer experience in person was :10, I asked them to kindly drive onto my trailer while I signed paperwork and they counted the money…. In and out - no reason to slink around a dealership

bottom line, if it ended up being a bad decision, dump it and move on
What he said. It’s a Honda.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I aged out of dirt bikes, spent '17, '18 and '19 traveling in the RV, wondering how I was going to continue exploring the desert. @Lil_Steve brought my attention to the newly introduced Talon and invited me to join him at the OHV rally in Sand Hollow, Utah, right after he bought his. He did things in that stock Talon that I'd never consider, clearly showing me that they're more than capable of entertaining me for the rest of my life.
x.gif

2019110813090922  5985563141538410079 IMG 3352 X2

Got back from Sand Hollow, walked into my local dealer and bought one. Like Ron said above, I knew I wanted the 6 speed, paddle shiftin' DCT.

I've been living this life ever since - 😍
I Fz37NDd X2

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For me I did not want anything with a belt, which came down to a honda or kubota rtv-x1100c. From there it was which one fot me and my 2 kids best in the cab and the honda won hands down. I honestly wanted the kubota but it just never would have worked well for me + the kids. The 1000-5 also got bonus points because with the jump seats in the bed my wife and dog could come also on a ride. The only negative I have to say about the honda is the hard cab. Not enough attention was paid to the design of it so the gaps are concerning and I have some work ahead of me to fill those in before winter. It was really disappointing to spend that kind of money on a new machine and have a cab that fit together so poorly.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will do my best to answer your questions and then I will post a copy and paste of my intro/first build thread post.

Did you research various brands?

Yes and No. The pioneer was my wife and I first side by side. We have 4 wheelers that we enjoyed previously. We had just purchased our first house and wanted an easy way around the property for work and chores. Our original criteria was it needed to be a utility machine, hold 4 people, and not be a limousine in the woods. I was researching the shortest 4 seat machines and my wife found the 700-4 in an online advertisement. We were both completely unbiased on brand at that point. Neither of us had ever sat in any side by sides. The pioneer just met all of our expectations. The reason we went with the 1000-5 was power and potential to enjoy offroad rides. Our research was strictly online.

Did you research difference between various trim levels within a certain brand?

No. I instantly knew I wanted the cheapest 1000-5 because my goal is to always tinker and mod. The less I spend on the machine purchase the more I can spend on mods.

Were you more knowledgable than your selling dealer with regards to product knowledge?

The first Honda dealer salesman my wife and I worked with was a jerk. Literally treated us like he didn't need us. Did not try to "sell" us on anything. Asked what we were there for and told him what we were interested in and he walked us over to it and let us observe it. He didn't say anything unless we asked a question. When I tried to talk about price he literally told me they will not budge on price and if we don't want it then someone else will.
Second Honda dealer we interacted with was a better experience. The saleswoman seemed happy to help us. Talked consistently with us and treated us well. My only gripe was that alot of her information about the machine was not correct. Just many different inconsistencies with vehicle spec. Telling my wife the bed could tilt 600lbs with the lift strut, or the 1000-5 is a 4 seater, or trailer capacity was 1000lbs. There were many things I knew from my own research versus the saleswoman. They came down on price from advertised but could not match a different dealer we were considering.
The third dealer we dealt with was a powersports dealer over the phone. They were a far distance from us but the price was worth the drive. I literally called the dealership, asked for a salesman, told him what I wanted over the phone, he confirmed the price as advertised, he got off the phone to confirm availability, he called me back and we completed the purchase over the phone. 2 days later after assembly and processing we picked up the machine and brought it home. In person the salesman seemed nice. I didn't expect much in person since the sale was complete. I thanked him and we shook hands.

Did you research real life issues with the model and brand you were interested in?

No. My wife and I found a machine that matched our expectations. I see myself as a very handy, capable, intellectual person capable of most things I mechanically set my mind to. I feel confident enough that I can "fix" anything that as long as the machine met our expectations we could make it work for us.

Did you research aftermarket accessory support for model and brand which interested you?

After our purchase I did. In the moment the machine met our needs. After our purchase we realized what the pioneer is capable of. You can read as many stories as you want but reality does not equal what a machine can or should be doing. There are many people who push things way past their limits and brag about it. Our realization of what the pioneer can do opened the door of exploration for us and has fueled us to build the machine we have today. It treads a nice line between function and fun.

Did you compile an estimate of what desired accessories would cost you?

No. I just swipe my card at whatever feels like the next best thing. My wife and I ride it, find something we need to upgrade, then do it.

Did you create an outline of what your wants, desires and needs were?

Yes and no. We had an expectation and idea of what the machine had to be while used at home. The pioneer met those needs. The fun side of the pioneer is an ongoing development. We typically find something to improve upon every big ride we take.

Did you query owner's experiences with issues and dealer experiences?

No (probably my shortest answer)

Considering your interest in a brand and model, were you willing to overlook existing and previous owner's bad experiences with brand and model?

Yes. My wife and I were only considering name brand manufacturers. They all have issues, they all can have complaints. For the most part, there is a reason big name brands exist and provide product. They all do good and bad. That is my outlook and has thus far paid off well for us.

Once you purchase and determine you've made the correct decision, how much are you willing to spend to customize your new purchase?

Whatever it takes within reason. My reason consists of things that cost as much as a used machine are out of line for me. Some examples:
TTC long arm kits can cost as much as a used RZR. I would rather buy a sport machine than spend that much money on a product that still does not match some factory 15"+ suspension travel.
Portals: some setups after portals, wheels, and "beefier" upgrades can cost as much as a used can am sport machine.
Audioformz: I would rather have a second machine someone could drive with us to enjoy the journey.
I think you get my point.

Did you research, shop and compare comparable accessory brands?

I do that daily. I do that even with a cart sitting in a Google tab before I hit complete checkout. I enjoy the research and possibilities that exist.

Are YOU satisfied with your purchase and where you are with ownership?

YES. The pioneer exceeded our expectations and given us experiences we would never have without it. It opened a door to powersports joy we never knew we had.

Lastly, How much do you enjoy the acquisition process and Farkeling of your new purchase?

I am a mechanical person and I love tinkering and working. Modifying and upgrading is pure joy for me. From changing a car radio to a swapping an engine for a bigger one. I like the journey. I enjoy the wrenching. The pioneer satisfies a big part of me. When the mods are done I will be sad and need another machine. I might work on my fiero next.

This statement is shared within me and many other users on here. @Hondasxs has truly made a wonderful and awesome place to spend time, make friends, and share experiences. The statement sums it up eloquently.

I personally feel HondaSXS.com offer's owner's of Honda SXS products an excellent resource for purchase and ownership.

Post #1 has more info if anyone is interested.

With all that said, in regards to other brands. I have an open mind and generally consider pros and cons to all sides. I have my own desires and recognize they can be different from the majority trend. I can see how belt drive systems can be "better" than others. It allows the engine to reach effective hp/tq while giving acceleration without worrying about up or down shifting incorectly based on environment. I can see how i4wd gives users relief from guessing "what drive type should I be in?". Drive by wire systems can remove throttle jumping while crawling. I think it's a good thing that all brands give variety and allow choice.

As I finish writing this we are out the door to ride to Marble Head to make more memories, find more reasons to mod, and most importantly enjoy our Pioneer 1000-5.

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thought about buying another quad for the wife to ride then decided I didn't want to wrench on two machines. Knew I wanted a 50" for trail riding and plowing. Watched many videos of Mudd Man beating the piss out of a P5 and knew that's the one I wanted. If he could torture it like that, it would probably last me forever. Got on the phone and started calling around for the best OTD price. Went to the dealership to test drive. I wanted the green and they didn't have one. Told him if he found me a green one I'd buy it on the spot. He found one in OH and had it shipped. Loaded it on the trailer two days later.
Also followed Jackal's build thread and knew there were a handful of accessories I wanted. Never imagined what it would turn into.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had a Rupp minibike at 4, Honda Sl-70 at five, numerous Honda dirt bikes and street bikes. Me and three friends all at the same time, bought 1997 Honda 300 FourTrax 's.

I bought the first Honda 500 Rubicon with the HondaMatic auto/standard transmission. Then got a 2004 Yamaha Rhino 660 first one at the dealer.

Mainly bought it because my father was in his 80's and had trouble getting on and off the ATVs after a knee replacement. He drive out every day to walk the lab to the pond and in the hay fields.

I kept the Rubicon and Rhino till 2020 when I bought the Pioneer 1000-5 LE

Never had a failure with any of them and they were all used daily. The Rhino never needed a belt. It had one broken axle a my father climbed a levee with exposed wet roots and it spun a tire and caught traction.

The Rhino had a windshield, roof, multi-mount Warn winch, a rear windshield that an upholstery guy made that snapped on and off like a jeep.

I bought the Pioneer and haven't been disappointed at all

Since pics below

ef8ed89dce0c91eb14f48a6c7ef5a651.jpg
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

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I get the whole brand allegiance thing. First motorized vehicle ('69 Z50) received for my 9th birthday and it still resides in my basement. I've also had (have) a CT70-K4, SL70, XL125, 74 CR250 Elsinore, Numerous CR250s, a XR250, Numerous XR600s, Several CR500s and a fleet of Honda Ruckus (Ruckie) when my Daughter rode horses competitively along with an Interceptor. Unfortunately my first car ('76 Accord) was an absolute POS

IMG 0017 IMG 2740 28514913 381663852307286 562256733228341852 o Photo

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I get the whole brand allegiance thing. First motorized vehicle ('69 Z50) received for my 9th birthday and it still resides in my basement. I've also had (have) a CT70-K4, SL70, XL125, 74 CR250 Elsinore, Numerous CR250s, a XR250, Numerous XR600s, Several CR500s and a fleet of Honda Ruckus (Ruckie) when my Daughter rode horses competitively along with an Interceptor. Unfortunately my first car ('76 Accord) was an absolute POS

View attachment 399188 View attachment 399189 View attachment 399190 View attachment 399192
sold it to pay for a semester of college tuition - :eek: - live and learn

IMG 4039

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wanted something that could haul 3 kiddos plus the wife and I for trail riding sometimes. Primary function is to work, plow, spray, etc.

Something not a bus.

Needed to go at least 55 and have power steering.

If I were to do it again, still would choose the p1k5. The 6 wouldn’t even be considered as it’s just too long for plowing snow, spraying pastures or working cows.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I just wanted a JAH.

Seriously ...

Rode motorcycles for many, many years (long road trips, not commuting). Did lots of groups events across the country, which exposed me to a plethora of different brands and models. Most of my bikes were Honda VFRs, which is how I became acquainted of the reliability and durability of the Honda Powersports brand. Change the oil, put in gas, and ride. 98% of the 'work' I did was accessorizing for long road trips.

Lost my left leg AK to a method head in a '92 Buick. Knew I could never ride again, but I didn't want to sit on my ass for the rest of my life. I knew I need something with four wheels, as I couldn't trust my left prosthetic leg to balance a 2 wheeler when needed. I user that as an excuse to buy my first 4-wheeler (I have to plow the snow, dear!). Had a place up north for a few years, riding the trails of the upper lower peninsula of Michigan.

A few years ago, our friends were over and we started talking about buying SXSs, traveling around and discovering new things. Always the adventurer, I was enamored at the idea, and it was something that I could do despite my handicap.

I spent many months online, mostly reading real world experiences with various brands and models. I find that real people, not manufacturers, dealers or salespersons, are the most trustworthy sources of information.

My affection for the Honda brand brought me here. Like with the Honda VFR motorcycles, I came to the conclusion that, while the Pioneer wasn't the fastest, baddest, or most powerful UTV, it was the best "all around" UTV, the most reliable, and would likely require the least amount of repair, not including self-inflicted damage. The information gleaned from member experiences here helped me finalize the decision to purchase a Pioneer 1000-5. "No regerts".

Accessorizing: Suffice it to say, I could never leave anything I own stock. Been doing that for decades.

That was how I arrived at my purchase of the '21 Pioneer.

The recent purchase of the '23 Talon 1000R Fox Live Valve was much, much simpler: Blame @Remington. 😆

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I hear you. I rode off-road and did Hare Scrambles and GNCC for 6 years. Occasionally had a XL when I was younger, but didn't get into street bikes until late in Life. Prefer Metric bikes. Very familiar with fortifying anything I purchase for the long haul.

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
In high school I bought a used Honda 3 wheeler. 125M with electric start. It was in pretty good shape when I got it. I rode it hard and put it up wet for years. Rode it tell the front wheel bearings gave out and I sold it. Later I got a 4wheeler. Yamaha Timberwolf. It held up decently but in the end it left me stranded in the desert a few times. The last one 2 miles from camp with my daughter in the dark. Not a fun walk back. Got home and started looking for a new ride. Was tired of packing s*** on the front and back racks and having to make multiple trips. Wanted a side by side with a "truck bed" and I wanted gears. No CVT tranny. Kawasaki mule seemed perfect but no gears. The p500 had the gears but no truck bed. I can't make gears but I could definitely make a truck bed. P500 was simple like my old 125m. Pockets has been a beast! I do think Honda watched how their customers modified their rides, and came out with new products, albeit very slowly. Most p500 owners built a truck bed of some sort. Now we have a p520. 100% satisfied with my purchase.....WTF is Farkeling?

20230807 073700

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
In high school I bought a used Honda 3 wheeler. 125M with electric start. It was in pretty good shape when I got it. I rode it hard and put it up wet for years. Rode it tell the front wheel bearings gave out and I sold it. Later I got a 4wheeler. Yamaha Timberwolf. It held up decently but in the end it left me stranded in the desert a few times. The last one 2 miles from camp with my daughter in the dark. Not a fun walk back. Got home and started looking for a new ride. Was tired of packing s*** on the front and back racks and having to make multiple trips. Wanted a side by side with a "truck bed" and I wanted gears. No CVT tranny. Kawasaki mule seemed perfect but no gears. The p500 had the gears but no truck bed. I can't make gears but I could definitely make a truck bed. P500 was simple like my old 125m. Pockets has been a beast! I do think Honda watched how their customers modified their rides, and came out with new products, albeit very slowly. Most p500 owners built a truck bed of some sort. Now we have a p520. 100% satisfied with my purchase.....WTF is Farkeling?

View attachment 399247
Farkels are ergonomic, performance and safety enhancements

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!