DAS MOOSE!!

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
More progress made. I spent all day yesterday adding parts and fabbing brackets. I spent the bulk of the day making and mounting my auxillary battery and bracket under the drivers seat. If I actually had my shop finished it would have been a bing bang job and done. Needless to say I got it all figured out with a hacksaw, some u-bolts, and quick clamps. It ain't purdy but it will do until I can get the key measurements I want and design a plate mount in sketch-up to run a part off the CNC torch at work.

I got the SuperATV winch plate mounted up with a Badlands APEX 5500 long drum. I pulled the front bumper off to make things easier but it definitally wasn't necessary. I'm still glad I did. Everything bolt up nice and easy and the winch sit well. Everything cleared well enough and no issues what so ever.

I also recieved and install the SuperATV hard poly roof and rear windshield. I think the fit well and look good. I was missing 4 M8 nuts with the rear windshield for mounting the struts. But I suspicion that they could have come out of the box during shipping. I say this because the boxes showed a little damage when they got to me. Thankfully none of the items were damaged. I was able to mount all of the SuperATV stuff by myself. That being said, if you can get a buddy to help then buy em a pizza and beer because it'll save some contortionist bends and your back twisting up! Easy work with a buddy, high intensity yoga by yourself. I think all of the parts look nice. They fit well to the machine and operate easily. My only concern is some of the air gaps could be a negative for me in the winter. This is not to say the parts aren't made right but they may not suit my needs part of the year. In particular the windshield. The split windshield will be great most of the year I intend to keep it. I may just pick up a different windshield to seal things up better in the winter. My only complaint about any of it is the instructions could be a little more in depth and the order of assmbley, particularly on the roof, needs to be adjsuted. An example being I think it makes better sense to assmble the roof with brackets and test fit it to the roof prior to putting down the gasket. With the roof test fit you can mark the ROPS where clamps should go. You can then remove the roof place the clamps first, then the gasket. Still I am very satisfied with the products and am very pleased with the purchase.

I also went and installed the Key-On power harness from the club store. That was easy as could be. I got that hooked up and then built a custom under hood mounting bracket for the accessories fuse box, relay, etc. Again, had my shop been setup That bracket would have taken me 10 minutes. As it stands I had to bend it using a claw hammer and the corners of my flatbed truck. Then used some self tapping screws and a 90 degree adapter on the ole impact driver to mount it. Painted it brown for giggles. I did not mount any electrical nor have a I run any wires to include the winch. Most of the reason being I wasn't satisfied with the lengths of wire given with the winch. It makes sense considering the winch isn't model/brand specific in anyway. I also didn't have any wire out for running from the AUX Batt to the fuse box. So I've ordered up some wire and hardware to make custom 6 gauge wires for all the main lines. I think this will help reduce a nest of extra wire and fit components where I want them not where they just happen to land because wire length.

After that was all said and done we took DAS MOOSE out for a test ride today to test everything. First I would like to say that I have solved my overheating problem. With the fan connector actually connected I never went above two bars on temprature. The windshields and roof worked great! No issues with dust for the front or back passengers. I cracked open the windshield and let some wind in which was nice but it didn't let some much wind by to overload our headset mics. We were able to talk real easy the entire ride. We end up covering about 35 miles with about 1,000 ft of elevation gained and lost in the mountains. The ride was so comfortable my youngest boy took a nap the last half of the ride! Next up is wiring work but it is most definitally time to get out and explore again!
20220702 103618
20220702 111619
20220702 112441
20220702 112421

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
Took the whole crew out today. About 50 miles and 2800 ft of elavation gained and lossed. No major critters spotted. A few deer and grouse. Had a little rain but we still got a picinic in and some target practice. Only repeated about 10 miles because of an unexpected gate. A fun ride over all. DAS MOOSE does great getting the family around on these mountain roads. The engine never got hot and zero problems getting around. I was hearing some noises so I've started tightening up doors and what not. The ususal process with a new machine.

Definitaly need some boosters for the rear seats. The seat belt was rubbing bad into the youngest boys hips because he is so small so the buckles angled in sharply. The seat height was to short for the oldest because he's my size so he ended up switching with his mom. That'll happen with a seat that folds into a work bed. Hahaha. I will definitally be ordering the Trigger Shield soon. Both the oldest boy and I noticed the heat. I think I also need to look into a better intercom box. Ours does a pretty good job but it struggles with picking up the mic over the ambient wind/engine noise. I'm sure that's a common problem with all comm systems but I think a better quality unit might do the trick. Anybody have any experience with that?

I think the next thing I need to work on is storage. I would like some sort of rear swinging setup like the JEI (or something another) but with a shelf for fuel, packs, recovery gear, or overnight gear. I would like a swing out so I can still open up the back without having to unload all the gear. I don't want to get a hitch mounted rack because I want to keep the clearance. Again, anybody have any ideas, pictures, or builds? I have a feeling I'll be building something myself. At some point I may have to look into one of those overland trailers.
20220704 130824
20220704 130833
20220704 115355
20220704 120216
20220704 120240

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Took the whole crew out today. About 50 miles and 2800 ft of elavation gained and lossed. No major critters spotted. A few deer and grouse. Had a little rain but we still got a picinic in and some target practice. Only repeated about 10 miles because of an unexpected gate. A fun ride over all. DAS MOOSE does great getting the family around on these mountain roads. The engine never got hot and zero problems getting around. I was hearing some noises so I've started tightening up doors and what not. The ususal process with a new machine.

Definitaly need some boosters for the rear seats. The seat belt was rubbing bad into the youngest boys hips because he is so small so the buckles angled in sharply. The seat height was to short for the oldest because he's my size so he ended up switching with his mom. That'll happen with a seat that folds into a work bed. Hahaha. I will definitally be ordering the Trigger Shield soon. Both the oldest boy and I noticed the heat. I think I also need to look into a better intercom box. Ours does a pretty good job but it struggles with picking up the mic over the ambient wind/engine noise. I'm sure that's a common problem with all comm systems but I think a better quality unit might do the trick. Anybody have any experience with that?

I think the next thing I need to work on is storage. I would like some sort of rear swinging setup like the JEI (or something another) but with a shelf for fuel, packs, recovery gear, or overnight gear. I would like a swing out so I can still open up the back without having to unload all the gear. I don't want to get a hitch mounted rack because I want to keep the clearance. Again, anybody have any ideas, pictures, or builds? I have a feeling I'll be building something myself. At some point I may have to look into one of those overland trailers.View attachment 342123View attachment 342124View attachment 342125View attachment 342126View attachment 342127

Beautiful!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I think the next thing I need to work on is storage. I would like some sort of rear swinging setup like the JEI (or something another) but with a shelf for fuel, packs, recovery gear, or overnight gear. I would like a swing out so I can still open up the back without having to unload all the gear. I don't want to get a hitch mounted rack because I want to keep the clearance. Again, anybody have any ideas, pictures, or builds? I have a feeling I'll be building something myself. At some point I may have to look into one of those overland trailers.View attachment 342123View attachment 342124View attachment 342125View attachment 342126View attachment 342127

What intercom system are you currently using?

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought some seat cushions from academy that fit perfect in the back seats. They are about 3"-4" thick and are a big improvement. I think they were less than $10 each. Don't wait too long for the trigger shield. Just put mine on my 1000 and it keeps the seat pretty cool.

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
I bought some seat cushions from academy that fit perfect in the back seats. They are about 3"-4" thick and are a big improvement. I think they were less than $10 each. Don't wait too long for the trigger shield. Just put mine on my 1000 and it keeps the seat pretty cool.
I found a Slumper Seat pad that I had and will let the boy try that out. We don't have an Acadamy here but I'm willing to bet our Scheels will have what you mentioned. I'll check them out next time I'm in town. I'm ordering the Trigger shield ASAP. The oldest boy and I are planning an overnight trip next weekend and it would help alot.

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
Did some searching on the internet and found a swing out bed extender made by @Dirt-roadfab . I was pleased to see they are on the forums as well. Little change in search wordage and the thing you're looking for pops right up. I like that it works with the bed open or closed. I know where my next paycheck is going. LOL!
20191207 105800

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
Oye! Got the winch and dual batteries wired. Ended up making quite a few big wires so it would look nice. Zip ties everywhere to keep it neat. Everything tested fine. Tomorrow I'm taking the oldest on an overnight fishing trip so we will give it a good shakedown.
VideoCapture 20220708 150426
VideoCapture 20220708 150438
VideoCapture 20220708 150453
VideoCapture 20220708 150504
VideoCapture 20220708 150628
VideoCapture 20220708 150546
VideoCapture 20220708 150647
VideoCapture 20220708 150657

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Oye! Got the winch and dual batteries wired. Ended up making quite a few big wires so it would look nice. Zip ties everywhere to keep it neat. Everything tested fine. Tomorrow I'm taking the oldest on an overnight fishing trip so we will give it a good shakedown. View attachment 342769View attachment 342770View attachment 342771View attachment 342772View attachment 342773View attachment 342774View attachment 342775View attachment 342776

Nice clean work👍

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
DirtRoadFabrications makes great stuff, I have their bed extender/spare carrier/RotoPax carrier on my Talon.
I was reading your post about their gear. It looks really well made. I contacted them with some questions and will definitely be ordering a bed extender soon. If I do it pronto then I should be able to get it before rifle deer/elk season here in Montana.

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
Well, the weather has us holed up in the camper. 20+ mph winds with sub-zero temps and snow started causing some whiteout conditions and bad drifts. Had to dig out of drifts 5 times! So we are waiting for the weather to improve a bit. Still having fun though. Bear with me, I'm typing this up on my phone in a sleeping bag.

The trip has been great to test a few things on Das Moose and get some field insight on my build plan. First, let me update what I got done before we got out here.

1) Installed factory upper soft doors. My thoughts are they look good enough but the strap releases drive me nuts and the doors seals on the roll bar are crap. I get that they are a soft door add-on so I try to think more kindly of them but I still growl when I open or close the doors. They have inspired me to think up a clean sealing solution to get by and then work on full hard doors for winter time, either built or bought. Regardless, they are a blessing in this prairie weather and are no doubt an improvement for winter use.

2) Installed two 7" Radiator fans from Amazon MOSTPLUS Black Universal Electric R...i_J473NHX0H8W4RGXJ4KP4_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1at my feet under the seat. Set them up to pull engine heat into the cab during the winter and blow cold under the seat in the summer. Did a relay and switch setup. I'm pleased as punch with this. Just enough extra heat that we stay pretty comfy in our hunting gear without sweating up. I think one fan would have been enough but i already did the deed. I have a few ideas to improve winter performance overall but I call it a win. I have no doubts that when I reverse the fans in the summer it will greatly reduce my swass when combined with the seat shield.

3) Installed a Dirt Road Fabrication bed extender. I got the extra long one with 4 pins and no extra mounts. It is friggin great! As you can see in the previous post it holds a mule deer buck quite well. No complaints at all. Worth every single penny.

4) I also picked up a 2" receiver hoist off Amazon VEVOR Hitch Mounted Deer Hoist, 400...i_S335WQH3VE1VW442CWG0_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 Let's just say that the buck in the bed extender pushed the weight limits of the hoist. It started to arch a little bit under load. Going to have to address that eventually. Will also be replacing some of the regular bolt nuts with wing nuts for easier assembly and take down in the field. Storage was okay next to my boy in the back but I'll need to think of something a little nicer. Also, I did need to use a receiver extension to clear the bed extension. Overall though it kept my back feeling great, let me do a hassle-free field dressing just how I like, and I just swung the buck around into the extender when I was done. It is now a regular part of the Honda Hunting kit.

5) I noticed that the @SuperATV poly roof was leaking earlier in the rain. I installed it during the summer so figured most the seals contracted a little. I tightened all the fasteners a touch and then covered the hardware and seams with some silicone. Haven't had a leak since. I love that roof. Keeps crap off my head and still lets enough light in I feel like an open top.

6) The Super ATV flip-upfront and rear windshields are great. I've decided to leave the flip up windshield on year round. To fill the gap between the upper part and roof I just shoved in some air conditioner foam. It works pretty good and will get me through this year. I'm gonna think up a long term solution though. On the corners where the struts connect I have some gap but that's on me during installation. I'll get the windshield good a warm this summer and then re-adjust the struts and mounts. I also want to add a little weatherstripping down the sides just because. But yeah, permanent accessory now. Very pleased.

7) I built and installed my truck overhead rack to load Das Moose on my flatbed. It works great. It feels a little nerve wracking when loading and unloading but the trails here are more sketchy. Again, I want more low speed control, so I use the winch to help ease it up both ramps. With the wheel straps and heavy duty ring mounts in the flatbed the machine doesn't budge an inch. I stopped several times to check along the way to camp. I have no doubts I could roll the truck and the Honda would still be attached. The best part is my camper hitches right up with no clearance issues. On the highway, I was stable and steady the whole time even if being passed by tractor trailers. 10 hour drive here to hunting camp with no issues.

Machine performance wise I have a better understanding of what a few of you have been telling me. I love how capable this machine has been with no drivetrain or performance modifications. We are one of the only rigs getting around out here. The factory deluxe tires are impressing me beyond doubt with how well they are getting us through snow, up and down some steep inclines and finding traction in the frozen dirt. The stability and handling of the rig has been pretty great. We had a few spots where a wheel was catching air while climbing a steep spot but made it through. My boy has really learned what the "pucker factor" means. Also the front locker is great. Honda needs to get off their tails to make it a standard option on the 500 as well. I would have loved it on my old P500.

I know I talked about tires and portals in past posts but I think I'll post my observations and desires to hear what the brain trust has...

A)I kept high centering on compacted snow and catching hidden rocks etc. We had to dig snow out under the skids several times. Once it was clear the tires got us going again. I realize that snow can always get deeper and if I could see hidden rocks maneuvering would be easy. But a little more clearance would be nice. I don't want a huge amount of lift because I like a low center of gravity but I think something needs to change.

B) I made it everywhere I wanted, literally, but I felt like I was either lugging or having to throttle hard to get it done. Especially in technical spots. Lugging makes me feel like I'm about to burn a clutch and overheat the machine. I don't like it from a wrench or driver perspective. Running hard on the throttle was cool when I was younger but I don't want to catch traction at a bad spot. Then I could either bust a drivetrain component or worse do a uncontrolled maneuver resulting in a wreck or flip with my family. Basically, I feel there was enough power generally but need more low gear to suit my driving preferences, increase control, and reduce mechanical strain.

So, is forward A arms, 4 inch portals, and bigger tires the solution? How do I get more low end and a touch more clearance without having to go too crazy? I could do just portals, and I know I'm being picky here, but portals with 26" tires is not a look I like. I feel like there needs to be more rubber stuffed in the fender. Is an IGR with A-arms and tires a better solution? Do they offer different ring gears? How about a bolt on under-drive? I know some might say to trade up to the 1000. I like the smaller size of the 700 and like I said, it has enough general power. No trade in for me.

Yes, I'm a finicky, picky, fusser. But I get things setup just how I like in the end. Plus mechanical puzzles are fun. B3ee8cbf81174846319eb2e89ae8a3684449044ab58e9178a7c3d24bd33f1c894444ab90e8a58a1925f30105a5bc5a2c72897d092d8fcd110363768da0ffd27e

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!