BOX1

DAS MOOSE!!

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
Das Moose is definitely paying off. Double load today in the Dirt Road Fabrication bed extension.

Went through some wild country. Definitely need some more clearance. Weather was better so we only had to dig out once. But with 2 extra critters in the back we squatted a bit more. Started hearing bumps below. Probably will eventually bump up to a better shocks too. The dang soft doors were driving me nuts as well with opening and closing but they're still better than nothing.

Also today I ran into need for an interior light and flood light bars. Dd21950b7f24ba90b1960afba265ea750cbcaf5b0f074783f9e7c59f6dd24bf478d8554722cc866791b507ba117e48955e6b466b51c2c9110897addbb405ca07

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

widopenspaces

widopenspaces

Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2023
Wellington, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
"So, is forward A arms, 4 inch portals, and bigger tires the solution? How do I get more low end and a touch more clearance without having to go too crazy? I could do just portals, and I know I'm being picky here, but portals with 26" tires is not a look I like. I feel like there needs to be more rubber stuffed in the fender. Is an IGR with A-arms and tires a better solution? Do they offer different ring gears? How about a bolt on under-drive? I know some might say to trade up to the 1000. I like the smaller size of the 700 and like I said, it has enough general power. No trade in for me."

Stoney, just read your entire post and find I am experiencing much of what you wrote. What did you decide to do? Specifically about the stuff in Bold that I pasted from your post above?

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well, the weather has us holed up in the camper. 20+ mph winds with sub-zero temps and snow started causing some whiteout conditions and bad drifts. Had to dig out of drifts 5 times! So we are waiting for the weather to improve a bit. Still having fun though. Bear with me, I'm typing this up on my phone in a sleeping bag.

The trip has been great to test a few things on Das Moose and get some field insight on my build plan. First, let me update what I got done before we got out here.

1) Installed factory upper soft doors. My thoughts are they look good enough but the strap releases drive me nuts and the doors seals on the roll bar are crap. I get that they are a soft door add-on so I try to think more kindly of them but I still growl when I open or close the doors. They have inspired me to think up a clean sealing solution to get by and then work on full hard doors for winter time, either built or bought. Regardless, they are a blessing in this prairie weather and are no doubt an improvement for winter use.

2) Installed two 7" Radiator fans from Amazon MOSTPLUS Black Universal Electric Radiator Slim Fan Push/Pull 12V + Mounting Kit(7 Inch) Set of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XW7CFX/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_J473NHX0H8W4RGXJ4KP4_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1at my feet under the seat. Set them up to pull engine heat into the cab during the winter and blow cold under the seat in the summer. Did a relay and switch setup. I'm pleased as punch with this. Just enough extra heat that we stay pretty comfy in our hunting gear without sweating up. I think one fan would have been enough but i already did the deed. I have a few ideas to improve winter performance overall but I call it a win. I have no doubts that when I reverse the fans in the summer it will greatly reduce my swass when combined with the seat shield.

3) Installed a Dirt Road Fabrication bed extender. I got the extra long one with 4 pins and no extra mounts. It is friggin great! As you can see in the previous post it holds a mule deer buck quite well. No complaints at all. Worth every single penny.

4) I also picked up a 2" receiver hoist off Amazon VEVOR Hitch Mounted Deer Hoist, 400lbs Capacity Hitch Game Hoist, 2'' Truck Hitch Deer Hoist with Winch Lift Gambrel Set, Foot Base, Adjustable Height and 360 Degrees Swivel for Hunting, Hanging https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X4PPN55/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_S335WQH3VE1VW442CWG0_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 Let's just say that the buck in the bed extender pushed the weight limits of the hoist. It started to arch a little bit under load. Going to have to address that eventually. Will also be replacing some of the regular bolt nuts with wing nuts for easier assembly and take down in the field. Storage was okay next to my boy in the back but I'll need to think of something a little nicer. Also, I did need to use a receiver extension to clear the bed extension. Overall though it kept my back feeling great, let me do a hassle-free field dressing just how I like, and I just swung the buck around into the extender when I was done. It is now a regular part of the Honda Hunting kit.

5) I noticed that the @SuperATV poly roof was leaking earlier in the rain. I installed it during the summer so figured most the seals contracted a little. I tightened all the fasteners a touch and then covered the hardware and seams with some silicone. Haven't had a leak since. I love that roof. Keeps crap off my head and still lets enough light in I feel like an open top.

6) The Super ATV flip-upfront and rear windshields are great. I've decided to leave the flip up windshield on year round. To fill the gap between the upper part and roof I just shoved in some air conditioner foam. It works pretty good and will get me through this year. I'm gonna think up a long term solution though. On the corners where the struts connect I have some gap but that's on me during installation. I'll get the windshield good a warm this summer and then re-adjust the struts and mounts. I also want to add a little weatherstripping down the sides just because. But yeah, permanent accessory now. Very pleased.

7) I built and installed my truck overhead rack to load Das Moose on my flatbed. It works great. It feels a little nerve wracking when loading and unloading but the trails here are more sketchy. Again, I want more low speed control, so I use the winch to help ease it up both ramps. With the wheel straps and heavy duty ring mounts in the flatbed the machine doesn't budge an inch. I stopped several times to check along the way to camp. I have no doubts I could roll the truck and the Honda would still be attached. The best part is my camper hitches right up with no clearance issues. On the highway, I was stable and steady the whole time even if being passed by tractor trailers. 10 hour drive here to hunting camp with no issues.

Machine performance wise I have a better understanding of what a few of you have been telling me. I love how capable this machine has been with no drivetrain or performance modifications. We are one of the only rigs getting around out here. The factory deluxe tires are impressing me beyond doubt with how well they are getting us through snow, up and down some steep inclines and finding traction in the frozen dirt. The stability and handling of the rig has been pretty great. We had a few spots where a wheel was catching air while climbing a steep spot but made it through. My boy has really learned what the "pucker factor" means. Also the front locker is great. Honda needs to get off their tails to make it a standard option on the 500 as well. I would have loved it on my old P500.

I know I talked about tires and portals in past posts but I think I'll post my observations and desires to hear what the brain trust has...

A)I kept high centering on compacted snow and catching hidden rocks etc. We had to dig snow out under the skids several times. Once it was clear the tires got us going again. I realize that snow can always get deeper and if I could see hidden rocks maneuvering would be easy. But a little more clearance would be nice. I don't want a huge amount of lift because I like a low center of gravity but I think something needs to change.

B) I made it everywhere I wanted, literally, but I felt like I was either lugging or having to throttle hard to get it done. Especially in technical spots. Lugging makes me feel like I'm about to burn a clutch and overheat the machine. I don't like it from a wrench or driver perspective. Running hard on the throttle was cool when I was younger but I don't want to catch traction at a bad spot. Then I could either bust a drivetrain component or worse do a uncontrolled maneuver resulting in a wreck or flip with my family. Basically, I feel there was enough power generally but need more low gear to suit my driving preferences, increase control, and reduce mechanical strain.

So, is forward A arms, 4 inch portals, and bigger tires the solution? How do I get more low end and a touch more clearance without having to go too crazy? I could do just portals, and I know I'm being picky here, but portals with 26" tires is not a look I like. I feel like there needs to be more rubber stuffed in the fender. Is an IGR with A-arms and tires a better solution? Do they offer different ring gears? How about a bolt on under-drive? I know some might say to trade up to the 1000. I like the smaller size of the 700 and like I said, it has enough general power. No trade in for me.

Yes, I'm a finicky, picky, fusser. But I get things setup just how I like in the end. Plus mechanical puzzles are fun. View attachment 363474View attachment 363475View attachment 363476View attachment 363477

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Foward arms are nice with 28 or better tires. I am running 28 with foward arms. I let a popular tuner use mine for beta testing and he came out with 4 different tunes. You will also need the programmer.. I will say mine has more bottom end with the 28's and quicker acceleration than it did with the stock 25's. The speedlimeter is disabled and the rpm was increased by I think 300. I have hit 49 on speedometer and bounced off 53 by Gps. It gets to forty faster and smoother while running cooler. My wife says it seems quieter also. I also am running a pair of bandit shocks I had them build for me that gave me more travel. I love these. These are just some things that I have done that I think improved most things about the 700

20230208 161304 20220511 181009 20220205 163710 20221231 144407 20230208 161325

T

tnoutdoors

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2022
Middle Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright, alright, alright! Finally went and picked up our 2022 700-4 Deluxe. We left Montana this morning at 9 am and finally got back at 7 pm. I don't think we spent more than 30 minutes at the dealer. It's been a trip but we got the rig we wanted. I even took a picture for @Remington so he knows it happened ;) On the way down the missus and the boys were joking about how we how planned on the "Das Moose" project name which has been a running joke for us going on a few years now. Coincidently we saw not one, but three, moose at different spots along the drive. Both coming and going. The name is now official I guess.

So starting tomorrow we start adding parts and the build begins.View attachment 340789

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk
Just add the Das Boat and role with it! Nice rig!

Reactions: Stoney and FJC 79
T

Toejamandearl

Mar 17, 2021
SE USA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Foward arms are nice with 28 or better tires. I am running 28 with foward arms. I let a popular tuner use mine for beta testing and he came out with 4 different tunes. You will also need the programmer.. I will say mine has more bottom end with the 28's and quicker acceleration than it did with the stock 25's. The speedlimeter is disabled and the rpm was increased by I think 300. I have hit 49 on speedometer and bounced off 53 by Gps. It gets to forty faster and smoother while running cooler. My wife says it seems quieter also. I also am running a pair of bandit shocks I had them build for me that gave me more travel. I love these. These are just some things that I have done that I think improved most things about the 700

View attachment 377958 View attachment 377959 View attachment 377960 View attachment 377961 View attachment 377962
Well done! Can you expand your comments regarding who did your tune? Also, would like to know more about the seat back and harnesses. t/y

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well done! Can you expand your comments regarding who did your tune? Also, would like to know more about the seat back and harnesses. t/y
The seat backs are from a polaris razor. Any year will work. No need to mod the pioneer. Just need a piece of steel mounted to back of seats using factory holes. Bolt that to the factory mounts on pioneer. Harnesses are 4 piont of Amazon. Tunes come from FCP. He has 4 and right now I am using Stage 2

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
"So, is forward A arms, 4 inch portals, and bigger tires the solution? How do I get more low end and a touch more clearance without having to go too crazy? I could do just portals, and I know I'm being picky here, but portals with 26" tires is not a look I like. I feel like there needs to be more rubber stuffed in the fender. Is an IGR with A-arms and tires a better solution? Do they offer different ring gears? How about a bolt on under-drive? I know some might say to trade up to the 1000. I like the smaller size of the 700 and like I said, it has enough general power. No trade in for me."

Stoney, just read your entire post and find I am experiencing much of what you wrote. What did you decide to do? Specifically about the stuff in Bold that I pasted from your post above?
Sorry on the slow reply. I decided to pick up some extra work responsibilities so I've been running low on extra time. As far as solutions I've been running circles without actually taking action. I've tried finding an IGR but the few I've seen aren't offered for the 700 just the 1000 or Talons. When looking at portals the main option I see isSuperATV GDP and a 30% reduction which will help but for $3500 I'm really slowing down on the idea. For ring gear ideas I keep running into Big Red or 520 adaption ideas but have yet to see anything that inspired confidence enough to take a plunge. I've not found a bolt on underdrive.

Basically I'm sitting here playing ride scenarios back and forth in my head. I'm yet convienced to go with portals but its the only bolt on gear down that I've seen so far. My next thought is forward A-arms with bigger tires for dry rides, giving up low end for dirt road cruising, and then running tracks which have portals and gearing built in during snow. My other idea is to start drawing up my own portals for my CNC mill and hope I don't have to walk back to camp due to a design flaw. And lastly is to design my own underdrive with same results but a single failure point location just harder location fitting. Basically, nothing is happening fast on this end. Big help right?

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
Sidenote, the whole desire for a low range solution made me miss the simplicity of the Trail 90 big sprocket and chain extension.

Reactions: JenElio
Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
@osobad So you are running the forward A-arms with no portals correct? Are you running a new exhaust or air filter with the tuner? I will look into the Bandit shocks. I wonder if anyone has ever tried air assist bags for heavy loads like on pickup trucks?

Reactions: osobad and JenElio
osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
@osobad So you are running the forward A-arms with no portals correct? Are you running a new exhaust or air filter with the tuner? I will look into the Bandit shocks. I wonder if anyone has ever tried air assist bags for heavy loads like on pickup trucks?

No portals. I do have a uni filter with snorkle using 2 inch vac hose routed to roof side. Exhaust was stock. Opened it up a little after mods were already done by removing cat but not necessary

Reactions: Stoney and JenElio
Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
No portals. I do have a uni filter with snorkle using 2 inch vac hose routed to roof side. Exhaust was stock. Opened it up a little after mods were already done by removing cat but not necessary
Excellent, I will look into that asap. Thank you for the advice.

Reactions: osobad
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!