P1000 Dash has gone out!

Daveymw

Daveymw

Oct 9, 2019
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I installed SuperATV EZsteer power steering and a KFI Stealth 4500 winch yesterday on my 2018 P1000.
Everything went smoothly easy to understand directions. Part of the install procedure for the EZsteer is to remove the dash, which I did.

Now my dash panel doesn't work any more! The machine runs great, winch and power steering work great, lights work, power plug in dash works. I've double and triple checked the connector behind the dash board where the panel plugs in, it is definitely firmly seated and together correct. This is driving me nuts.

Any Ideas!? Is there a "reset" procedure for the machine when the dash is unplugged or something?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Dave

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I installed SuperATV EZsteer power steering and a KFI Stealth 4500 winch yesterday on my 2018 P1000.
Everything went smoothly easy to understand directions. Part of the install procedure for the EZsteer is to remove the dash, which I did.

Now my dash panel doesn't work any more! The machine runs great, winch and power steering work great, lights work, power plug in dash works. I've double and triple checked the connector behind the dash board where the panel plugs in, it is definitely firmly seated and together correct. This is driving me nuts.

Any Ideas!? Is there a "reset" procedure for the machine when the dash is unplugged or something?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Dave
Check you fuse?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
What wire does SATV recommend tapping to get "key-on" power?
And,
what wire did you tap?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
What wire does SATV recommend tapping to get "key-on" power?
And,
what wire did you tap?
Found it.
And you DO have power in the CIG/ACC socket? The 15a ACC fuse?

Upload 2019 10 16 10 4 34

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
You said you had front headlights..
what about TAIL lights?

If NO..
You made a bad crimp.
Hopefully you did not crip close to the connector and have room to fix it.

Other than that. I'm not seeing anything else it could be.

Last edited:
Daveymw

Daveymw

Oct 9, 2019
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
what about TAIL lights?

If NO..
You made a bad crimp.

Tail lights are working fine also.

Daveymw

Daveymw

Oct 9, 2019
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
what about TAIL lights?

If NO..
You made a bad crimp.

Only thing I can think of is a connector on the back of the LCD panel itself. In taking off the dash you do have to pull & tug & work it over the shifters & steering column. The LCD panel has about a 10" pigtail coming out of it with a connector that clips right into the female end on the wiring harness. This is the one I concentrated on making sure it was plugged in correctly, and it definitely is.

Where this pigtail of wires goes into the back of the LCD panel is through a big flexible black rubber gromet, are there any connections on the back of that panel I may have pulled loose?

H

HondaTech

Check to see if you have power on the black/brown wire on the meter plug. That's the ignition power for the meter that comes from a joint connector that gets power from light relay fuse.

That fuse gets power from the ignition switch wire you tappe into. Since you have lights the wire you tapped has to be sending power from the fuse to the joint connector.

The problem is either in the joint connector not sending power to the meter connector or it's not getting into the meter past the connector (pin issues).

Reactions: GPR1500SC
advertisement
Daveymw

Daveymw

Oct 9, 2019
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Check to see if you have power on the black/brown wire on the meter plug. That's the ignition power for the meter that comes from a joint connector that gets power from light relay fuse.

That fuse gets power from the ignition switch wire you tappe into. Since you have lights the wire you tapped has to be sending power from the fuse to the joint connector.

The problem is either in the joint connector not sending power to the meter connector or it's not getting into the meter past the connector (pin issues).
20191016 110332
Here is the connection I made for EZsteer
20191016 110541
female end (coming from harness) of what you call the "meter plug" I think.
20191016 110615
And this is the black/brown wire I should have power to?

Daveymw

Daveymw

Oct 9, 2019
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes with the key on that wire should have power that's what signals the meter to come on with the key in the "run" position.

Tested brown/black wire on both sides of the meter connector and have switched power going into the screen.

This is exasperating! :)

Daveymw

Daveymw

Oct 9, 2019
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
OK guys, I figured it out! There is a plug into the back of the LCD screen (meter) and mine had pulled out. I guess it was not clipped in good from the factory.

20191016 160607

I got it clipped back in there
20191016 160540

20191016 163653
Put it all back together and ...
20191016 163057

like magic She's Lit!

H

HondaTech

OK guys, I figured it out! There is a plug into the back of the LCD screen (meter) and mine had pulled out. I guess it was not clipped in good from the factory.

View attachment 161492
I got it clipped back in there
View attachment 161493
View attachment 161494 Put it all back together and ...View attachment 161495
like magic She's Lit!

This was my next suggestion if you had power on the wire I pointed out.

Glad you figured it out, electrical problems can make me cross eyed sometimes.

Reactions: Daveymw and TripleB
Daveymw

Daveymw

Oct 9, 2019
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This was my next suggestion if you had power on the wire I pointed out.

Glad you figured it out, electrical problems can make me cross eyed sometimes.

Appreciate all your help HondaTech!

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!