DCT light comes on, machine shuts off

A

adudes

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I took clutch to dealer and they were surprised at how good it looked. Tech said because there was no oil pressure to clutch, he thought it would have been toast. He suggested to take circlip out and inspect the clutch plates just to be sure they are ok. I asked about the oil pressure and what to look for, he said something is plugged or a pressure relief valve is bad. Of course, he never had one of these apart before so he's not sure what the root cause is.

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I took clutch to dealer and they were surprised at how good it looked. Tech said because there was no oil pressure to clutch, he thought it would have been toast. He suggested to take circlip out and inspect the clutch plates just to be sure they are ok. I asked about the oil pressure and what to look for, he said something is plugged or a pressure relief valve is bad. Of course, he never had one of these apart before so he's not sure what the root cause is.
Thanks for updating us.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The factory service rep should have gone to the dealer and helped them figure it out.

This whole situation is unacceptable.

Reactions: Smitty335
A

adudes

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I forgot to mention, when I took it to the dealer, it would start, run and shift until it got hot. Now it will throw a code immediately even if cold. When I picked it up, they drove it around to my trailer. I got in to load it, and it would die when you put it in gear. Had to have a few of their employees help me push it on the trailer. So now it's doing new things it wasn't doing before. They had if for so long and made me pay for two parts that didn't fix it so I just wanted to get it home and get the clutch out.

After taking the clutch to the dealer and have him put his eyes on it, I put the clutch back in with new o-rings and a new linear solenoid valve 38610-HL4-003. I tried initializing the clutch but still throws the same codes and clutch overheat light is on. In the very limited amount of time I have had to diagnose this, I'm at a loss. I put the rear end back together and tried clutch relearn again a few times, no go. Yesterday, loaded it up and took it back to the dealer. I was hesitant to take it back but Im at a loss and they are already familiar with the issues.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
They had if for so long and made me pay for two parts that didn't fix it
Thats your fault for paying. Even in my co being in the service business. If we cant fix it (extreamly rare cuz we are certified techs) you dont pay. I would have told them to piss up a creek. Particularly that they made it worse.
Yesterday, loaded it up and took it back to the dealer.
Why? Take it someplace else! Even if u need to make some calls and a road trip. Sounds like there just licking there chops that u are showing up and they get more $$ if they fix it or not. Seen many companies do this. If they were any good and couldnt fix it in the forst place they should have kindly said sorry but we cant look at it anymore, we would be doing u a disservice by doing so.
But if u have limited time, id deff look around.
Your money and time.

A

adudes

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
The issue ended up being the shift control motor. There were multiple codes and the motor bench tested ok, but the machine didn't like it installed. I was getting to the point of wanting to bash the service dept to anyone who would listen but in the end it was all ok. I ended up talking to the tech who worked on it for about 10 minutes and felt better after talking to him. He admitted that the service writer should not have given this machine to the original technician based on the symptoms it was having. He also agreed with me it was never the clutch and apologized that the Honda service tech-line and other employee that worked on it first led me to taking it apart. He test drove a brand new unit with the Honda diagnostic tool hooked up to compare readings to mine. He also stole the shift motor off the brand new unit to verify that was going to fix the problem before ordering a new motor. They were running it through Honda warranty, it was pending when I stopped by the next morning so I should go through. If it was going to be denied, it usually gets kicked back right away according to them.

I ended up trading it in on a new '23 X4 so I didn't get to bring it home. I still needed to replace the steering rack if I brought it home which I know would have been cheaper than payments on a new ride. But the '19 X2 was used because I couldn't find a new one at the time and I prefer to buy new instead of used so now I have one with the upgrades.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!