2021 1000X-4 live valve yellow shock light staying on

Outsideline

Outsideline

Jun 25, 2021
Osage beach
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yellow Shock light staying on dash behind steering wheel. Have removed and cleaned grounds under rear seat, engine.
Dealer has it now, not showing any codes. Replaced steering angle control but did not help. They are waiting for Honda Rep to get back with. Anybody else with same problem, or ideas?

H

HondaTech

The steering angle sensors are terrible for going bad on these machines. They get water inside the housing and Honda won't cover them if that's the case.

Should trigger SAS CAN Communication Fault and possibly SAS Plausibility

After replacing the SAS, there is a new procedure to center the sensor angle. You have to follow this procedure or the light will not go out. It includes registering the new SAS position to the SCU. Make sure to clean the harness side connector out as well, they always have corrosion on atleast one pin.

Outsideline

Outsideline

Jun 25, 2021
Osage beach
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The steering angle sensors are terrible for going bad on these machines. They get water inside the housing and Honda won't cover them if that's the case.

Should trigger SAS CAN Communication Fault and possibly SAS Plausibility

After replacing the SAS, there is a new procedure to center the sensor angle. You have to follow this procedure or the light will not go out. It includes registering the new SAS position to the SCU. Make sure to clean the harness side connector out as well, they always have corrosion on atleast one pin.

Outsideline

Outsideline

Jun 25, 2021
Osage beach
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the info. Printed out and gave to dealer tech. He contacted Honda rep and verified. Installed new steering sensor and recalibrated. Light went out. He showed me old sensor and it was full of water. Harness was ok.
Any ideal how to keep water from going into top seal.
Late getting back to you. Dealer had for 2.5 weeks and then went to Colorado riding for a week.
Thanks again.

H

HondaTech

Thanks for the info. Printed out and gave to dealer tech. He contacted Honda rep and verified. Installed new steering sensor and recalibrated. Light went out. He showed me old sensor and it was full of water. Harness was ok.
Any ideal how to keep water from going into top seal.
Late getting back to you. Dealer had for 2.5 weeks and then went to Colorado riding for a week.
Thanks again.

I've tried sealing the plastic lid with silicone and it doesn't help. Any water that gets in there, even from washing makes its way into the sensor. It's a s*** design and Honda won't own up to it being that way.

They think anytime water intrusion is a thing it has to have been buried under water. They don't know what riding offroad entails tbh. But they moved the sensor into the EPS motor on the 2023 LV, so it's not going to be an issue.

Donzi18

Donzi18

Jan 6, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. Talon X4 LV
Yellow Shock light staying on dash behind steering wheel. Have removed and cleaned grounds under rear seat, engine.
Dealer has it now, not showing any codes. Replaced steering angle control but did not help. They are waiting for Honda Rep to get back with. Anybody else with same problem, or ideas?
I also have had this problem on my 2021 1000x talon. Took it in to the dealer two weeks ago and after checking it out they finally concluded that an electrical connector under the hood needed to be replaced due to corrosion. I went for a ride today since getting it back, after 37 miles the light is back on. I’m taking it back in tomorrow, I’ll let you know what they find.

H

HondaTech

I also have had this problem on my 2021 1000x talon. Took it in to the dealer two weeks ago and after checking it out they finally concluded that an electrical connector under the hood needed to be replaced due to corrosion. I went for a ride today since getting it back, after 37 miles the light is back on. I’m taking it back in tomorrow, I’ll let you know what they find.

Guarantee the SAS has water in it. If the connector was corroded, the sensor is going to be full of water.

H

HondaTech

Where is this SAS sensor?

On top of the steering rack.

If you take the hood off you can see it from there.

It's simple to replace, but setting the center position needs our dealer level diagnostic equipment to read the angle. Without that the light will go off after registering the sensor, but since your jot sure what angle it's sitting at it will come back on once it sees an angle/speed combination it doesnt like.

But if your light is going off by itself, it might be something different. You would need to pull codes to be sure.

Donzi18

Donzi18

Jan 6, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. Talon X4 LV
On top of the steering rack.

If you take the hood off you can see it from there.

It's simple to replace, but setting the center position needs our dealer level diagnostic equipment to read the angle. Without that the light will go off after registering the sensor, but since your jot sure what angle it's sitting at it will come back on once it sees an angle/speed combination it doesnt like.

But if your light is going off by itself, it might be something different. You would need to pull codes to be sure.
I had a Honda Tech tell me to check the pressure in my tires. Is this legitimate or is he just throwing out BS?

Reactions: Blownzuki
H

HondaTech

I had a Honda Tech tell me to check the pressure in my tires. Is this legitimate or is he just throwing out BS?

More of an i4wd thing, that wouldn't make the light come on though.

Donzi18

Donzi18

Jan 6, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. Talon X4 LV
The Honda Tech I was referring to is from a dealership here in Michigan, not our beloved Honda Tech here on the forum. 🤪

prostreet66mustang

prostreet66mustang

Dec 6, 2020
Oro Valley (Tucson) Az
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hello Everyone. Dose any one know if you can by pass or take that steering sensor out of the loop or not run it. More pain than its worth. On a 21 R I use for a practice car. Insurance total I picked up with 750 miles just needed a cage and to have the plastic put back together and a lot of push pins. Thanks to all.

Talons

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
H

HondaTech

Hello Everyone. Dose any one know if you can by pass or take that steering sensor out of the loop or not run it. More pain than its worth. On a 21 R I use for a practice car. Insurance total I picked up with 750 miles just needed a cage and to have the plastic put back together and a lot of push pins. Thanks to all.

View attachment 398758

Hess makes a LV override, but it just softens the shocks when on.

I'm not aware of anyway to bypass/remove the SAS from the system.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!