Live Valve DTC Code Troubleshooting

B

bcs-extreme

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2020
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Would anyone be willing to share 2 pages from the service manual for the Live Valve system? I'm in need of pages 26-16 and 26-17 for DTC codes 41 and 42. I am in the process of getting a service manual. However, I have not been successful in finding one for the '23 R4 yet.

Reactions: Backwoods
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Would anyone be willing to share 2 pages from the service manual for the Live Valve system? I'm in need of pages 26-16 and 26-17 for DTC codes 41 and 42. I am in the process of getting a service manual. However, I have not been successful in finding one for the '23 R4 yet.
Become a life member on here and youll have full access to those manuals.

B

bcs-extreme

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2020
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks for the info. The '23 manuals are available to life members?

Reactions: Remington
B

bcs-extreme

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2020
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Looks like there is a 20-22 x4 manual. It will use the same codes typically.
Thanks. My concern is that for '23 Honda updated the power steering along with the steering angle sensor which all ties into the Live Valve system functions at different points.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks for the info. The '23 manuals are available to life members?
@Hondasxs will be able to answer that 100% for you. He might be able to load up that new 23’ manual if need be

Reactions: Backwoods and CID
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have not been successful in finding one for the '23 R4 yet.
How many miles is on this rig?
Being a 23’ isnt it still under warranty?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
hi - whats the actual issue\problem?

Reactions: Remington
B

bcs-extreme

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2020
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
hi - whats the actual issue\problem?
FLV light came on during a ride and did not go out. I checked all grounds, electrical connections, and steering rack center. Reset the system but MIL comes right back.
It is under warranty, however the dealership I trust is 5 hours away. I’ll troubleshoot it myself to the point of it being a faulty SCU or shock. At that point I’ll make the drive for warranty.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
FLV light came on during a ride and did not go out. I checked all grounds, electrical connections, and steering rack center. Reset the system but MIL comes right back.
It is under warranty, however the dealership I trust is 5 hours away. I’ll troubleshoot it myself to the point of it being a faulty SCU or shock. At that point I’ll make the drive for warranty.
ughh - good luck -please post back what you learn\find for the fix - 5 hours is a long ass drive

B

bcs-extreme

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2020
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Situation Update:
This is a 2023 Talon R4 with less than 100 miles on it. Upon getting the Talon home I checked torque on all fasteners, fluid levels, and dielectric greased all electrical connectors. During my first ride the LV light came on and stayed on. I got it home, cleaned it up and tried to reset the codes to no avail. originally I had 4 codes showing, DTC 41, 42, 51, and 61. Honda did a better job for '23 in making sure the grounding area were clear of paint. However when I removed the grounds to inspect I found a small area that had a paint spot. I sanded it down and re attached the grounds. After clearing the codes, only codes 41 and 42 came back. On a whim I decided to disconnect the SCU. I unplugged it, checked the connector, wires, and terminals. All were good. The connector was re greased and re installed. I cleared the codes and let the machine idle for 5 minutes. No codes have re appeared. However, due to work I have not had time to go out and drive around the neighborhood to verify.

Reactions: CID and JenElio
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Situation Update:
This is a 2023 Talon R4 with less than 100 miles on it. Upon getting the Talon home I checked torque on all fasteners, fluid levels, and dielectric greased all electrical connectors. During my first ride the LV light came on and stayed on. I got it home, cleaned it up and tried to reset the codes to no avail. originally I had 4 codes showing, DTC 41, 42, 51, and 61. Honda did a better job for '23 in making sure the grounding area were clear of paint. However when I removed the grounds to inspect I found a small area that had a paint spot. I sanded it down and re attached the grounds. After clearing the codes, only codes 41 and 42 came back. On a whim I decided to disconnect the SCU. I unplugged it, checked the connector, wires, and terminals. All were good. The connector was re greased and re installed. I cleared the codes and let the machine idle for 5 minutes. No codes have re appeared. However, due to work I have not had time to go out and drive around the neighborhood
You dont have to take to the 5hr away dealer
FYI.
Warranty is warranty

Reactions: JenElio
B

bcs-extreme

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2020
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
You dont have to take to the 5hr away dealer
FYI.
Warranty is warranty
To each their own I guess. I can troubleshoot and fix it myself. The only time I use warranty is if there are parts involved that would otherwise come out of my pocket. All dealers are not the same when it comes to warranty work. Just my 2 cents.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
To each their own I guess. I can troubleshoot and fix it myself. The only time I use warranty is if there are parts involved that would otherwise come out of my pocket. All dealers are not the same when it comes to warranty work. Just my 2 cents.
You are correct about all steelerships are not all the same. That said, being a service tech for 25yrs I understand and can appreciate folks that like to repair things on there own. But I do have issues with people doing this then Fing it up to a point when I have to come in and fix what could have been done right in the first place, thus now making the job/repair much more difficult and more time involved. Happens all the time and people wonder when they call for an appointment why were 2-3 weeks out. There is a reason warranties are in place.
We can go deeper, think of the tech/company making a living on warranty work. But thats a topic for another time.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!