Valve adjustment at 2,000 Miles?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I ain’t hondatech here but….. seems to me

unless it’s having a problem starting or valves really ticking or just want it done….

1. First step is to authorize valve clearance inspection.

2. Based on that - determine next step - would you really make a swing at it if it was out .001” and who knows - may have left the factory out a little.
My hunch is is 80% of the machines out there haven’t and won’t get the valves adjusted - ever - and will run run run run……

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I ain’t hondatech here but….. seems to me

unless it’s having a problem starting or valves really ticking or just want it done….

1. First step is to authorize valve clearance inspection.

2. Based on that - determine next step - would you really make a swing at it if it was out .001” and who knows - may have left the factory out a little.
My hunch is is 80% of the machines out there haven’t and won’t get the valves adjusted - ever - and will run run run run……
If you are checking, you are adjusting the time difference is minimal.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
A buddy of mine has a 2021 R, he has it in the shop for service, yea he doesn't work on it, and they are telling him it needs a valve adjustment and it cost $455.

BS or not?
Did your buddy ask them HOW they KNEW it NEEDED a valve adjustment?

Reactions: TOGR and WagginTail
H

HondaTech

A buddy of mine has a 2021 R, he has it in the shop for service, yea he doesn't work on it, and they are telling him it needs a valve adjustment and it cost $455.

BS or not?

I usually have to adjust exhaust at the first service, but those are screw adjusters.

We charge an hour for inspection, and if needed adjustment on the exhaust only.

I've never seen intakes that warranted removing the camshaft. Loose on the shim style valves is OK, they only tighten up.

Buy even then, I would probably wager, you could pull the cam and shim all 4 in under 3 hours if your familiar with the procedure. The worse part is the exhaust rocker shaft removal, it requires the whole back panel behind the seats to come out.

bigred1000-6

bigred1000-6

Apr 18, 2023
Buckeye,AZ
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
I usually have to adjust exhaust at the first service, but those are screw adjusters.

I've never seen intakes that warranted removing the camshaft. Loose on the shim style valves is OK, they only tighten up.

Buy even then, I would probably wager, you could pull the cam and shim all 4 in under 3 hours if your familiar with the procedure. The worse part is the exhaust rocker shaft removal, it requires the whole back panel behind the seats to come out.
How much of an adjustment..? Thx

Reactions: ChadD
TOGR

TOGR

Apr 5, 2022
NW Montana
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
Thank you, HondaTech! And a shout out to your dealership for being honest and putting the customer first! If all dealerships were like yours, a lot more folks would trust them to perform their service. Your voice here is so appreciated!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I'm looking for a ball park # for what it costs to tear down a 16 P1 and replace a broken ring. To see if I need to trade? I'd tell them it uses oil. 4,500 miles and 1 quart missing in 450 miles, well taken care of, no dust past the air filters ever.

Reactions: ChadD
H

HondaTech

I'm looking for a ball park # for what it costs to tear down a 16 P1 and replace a broken ring. To see if I need to trade? I'd tell them it uses oil. 4,500 miles and 1 quart missing in 450 miles, well taken care of, no dust past the air filters ever.

Has the broken ring been verified? I never seen a Honda ring break, most likely there's another problem or the rings/cylinder is worn enough to burn it.

You can remove the piston/rod in frame, but if the cylinder needs replaced, the cases have to be replaced.

Just to pull a piston, you'd probably be looking atleast 2-3 hours, which at our ship is $200-$300.

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has the broken ring been verified? I never seen a Honda ring break, most likely there's another problem or the rings/cylinder is worn enough to burn it.

You can remove the piston/rod in frame, but if the cylinder needs replaced, the cases have to be replaced.

Just to pull a piston, you'd probably be looking atleast 2-3 hours, which at our ship is $200-$300.

Does that include the #NTC 0% discount 🤔

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Thank You! I figured $ 1,000.00 to $ 2,000.00 to repair it right, think it's time to trade with oil disclosure. I'm sick of this Honda.

Reactions: ChadD and Backwoods

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!