PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
code was 83 on i4wd light flashing
There is no such thing as code 83 for any of the systems.

Now buggy won’t go in gear.
All gears are like in neutral.
A - in gear selection box not flashing and then it goes a 2 again not flashing. i4wd light on and red oil light.
IF the i4WD light and oil light are both on with the engine running, you have no oil pressure (or the sender is not connected and it appears to the computer you have no oil pressure). If that is the case, the ECU will not let the clutches engage because they use engine oil pressure and to the ECU, you have none.

I suspect (like almost every one else that see the dash go nuts) that you have a connector issue...
  1. Lose or corroded battery cables.
  2. Lose or corroded ground connections (there are 3 of these, check them all).
  3. A plug not fully connected together.
  4. A wire improperly inserted into a plug.
Did you check all the above yet?

It is hard to explain what a dash does so if you want additional help, it is probably better to post a video of the dash from key off, key on for 3 seconds and then running for as long as it takes all the lights and indicators to cycle through their codes.

DO NOT post a 3 second video showing the dash flashing, it does not tell us anything useful. We need to see everything from key off to the end of the flashing cycle to glean anything useful. And make sure the video is in focus.

Reactions: TripleB
Outsideline

Outsideline

Jun 25, 2021
Osage beach
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is no such thing as code 83 for any of the systems.

IF the i4WD light and oil light are both on with the engine running, you have no oil pressure (or the sender is not connected and it appears to the computer you have no oil pressure). If that is the case, the ECU will not let the clutches engage because they use engine oil pressure and to the ECU, you have none.

I suspect (like almost every one else that see the dash go nuts) that you have a connector issue...
  1. Lose or corroded battery cables.
  2. Lose or corroded ground connections (there are 3 of these, check them all).
  3. A plug not fully connected together.
  4. A wire improperly inserted into a plug.
Did you check all the above yet?

It is hard to explain what a dash does so if you want additional help, it is probably better to post a video of the dash from key off, key on for 3 seconds and then running for as long as it takes all the lights and indicators to cycle through their codes.

DO NOT post a 3 second video showing the dash flashing, it does not tell us anything useful. We need to see everything from key off to the end of the flashing cycle to glean anything useful. And make sure the video is in focus.
thanks for your reply. Jumpered out brown/red and green wire on pin, get 8 long flashes, 3 short on i4wd light.
I have checked all grounds,loosened, cleaned and reinstall. I have checked a lot of connectors and not found a loose one. Where is the oil pressure sensor and I can look at that. Buggy has 700 miles on. Under warranty and I will take in Tuesday but I would like to trouble shoot myself. Already took to them and you know how that goes. I was at Disney OK. this weekend and had to bum rides with my buddies. I can see about sending a video later.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

Reactions: CID
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
get 8 long flashes, 3 short on i4wd light.
On the i4WD system, that indicates an 8-3 code. The 2021 service manual does not have a 8-3 code so either Honda has added some codes that are not in the older service manual or the i4WD ECU is FUBAR. A dealer will have updated service manuals, see what they say that code is for.

I have checked a lot of connectors and not found a loose one.
Not only check the connectors, but check that the wires in the connectors are all fully inserted/seated and snapped in. It my "look" like all the wires are in but you cannot tell unless you pull each plug apart and visibly/physically verify that they are. Make sure the pins and terminals are all inserted the same. This problem is more common than you would expect. The harnesses work when new because the terminals barely contact but after a few miles, the wires work there way out of the plug and lose connection. I have read at least a dozen instances of this so you know it is a problem.

There is a couple hidden connectors just under the sway bar bracket that have been the culprit on several other machines, you should take a good look at those.

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have checked all grounds, loosened, cleaned and reinstall.
Ground wires under drivers seat was corroded. Cleaned greased turned on cleared codes itself. Running fine.
So, did you originally miss the ground under the seat or was it so badly corroded that "loosen, clean reinstall" didn't do the trick the first time?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!