P1000 DCT Oil Change

W

White Rabbit

Jul 13, 2024
Ione, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I purchased filters for the DCT as well as the engine oil. Filters appear to be OEM parts, but did not come with O ring for filter cover. Depending on the condition of current O ring can I reuse? Or is this just a bad idea

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I purchased filters for the DCT as well as the engine oil. Filters appear to be OEM parts, but did not come with O ring for filter cover. Depending on the condition of current O ring can I reuse? Or is this just a bad idea
technically you should replace if compromised

practically as long as its not torn and in good shape you can re-use

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yes I have reused the o ring in the past, just take care when removing cover. Also DONT OVER TIGHTEN THE BOLTS!!!! no work wrench needed, just a 1/4" drive ratchet and hand snug. You can always snug it up more if there's a leak.
Also watch the spring in there.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yes I have reused the o ring in the past, just take care when removing cover. Also DONT OVER TIGHTEN THE BOLTS!!!! no work wrench needed, just a 1/4" drive ratchet and hand snug. You can always snug it up more if there's a leak.
Also watch the spring in there.
what he said - I think there was a torque value error in manual maybe - don't make it a bad day

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've reused similar o-rings 'forever'. I've replaced the o-rings on my Talon once in 14k miles, only because I felt guilty. 🙃 Worst case, you end up with a small dribble of oil. I keep a spare pair ready to replace if necessary. Note that you'll dump ~2 cups of oil removing the cover.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hold the covers on with your hand and install bolts evenly or you will pinch the oring like I did. I keep them on hand in case I do it again.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For over 8k miles I reused the orings on both covers. Last fall I changed the oil before a hunting trip. After the change I saw that I had a small leak, so I had to come home and change the oring and mess with getting the right amout of oil added. I figured I would just change it every time from now on just for cheap insurance and less of a head ache. I believe alot of people are getting the oil change kits from Amazon and I think they come with the orings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rayger143
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hold the covers on with your hand and install bolts evenly or you will pinch the oring like I did. I keep them on hand in case I do it again.

View attachment 437957
The edge that the o-ring has to get past needs to be chamfered, it's a square, sharp corner and can snag the o-ring. Don't go nutz with the chamfer, the o-ring groove is cut very close to the edge, there isn't much room (depth) for a giant chamfer.

Reactions: Rayger143
Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The edge that the o-ring has to get past needs to be chamfered, it's a square, sharp corner and can snag the o-ring. Don't go nutz with the chamfer, the o-ring groove is cut very close to the edge, there isn't much room (depth) for a giant chamfer.
Yes you’re bang on. I used a little emery cloth and it worked great.

Reactions: CID