Dealer DEMO Machines

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Anyone have thoughts on buying dealer demo models? I bought a 2019 P700 from Capital power sports in Wake forest...no mention of it being a demo (I bought it as new).
The mileage/hours was so low I figured it was just from moving it around the dealership.

I had some issues (repeatedly stalling) and brought it to a local dealer for repair under warranty. When I picked it up they tell me my factory warranty had already expired.
(I had owned it less than 6 months) And I owe them $$ for labor.

I contact Honda who informs me the dealership I bought it from sent in the warranty paperwork (warranty start date) was six months prior to me buying it.
Honda says warranty is expired, take it up with the dealership since they started the "in service" date.

No response from the dealership yet although the holidays are here so I'll be patient.
I'm out of pocket $150 for labor on my new P700 because I only got half a warranty.

No where in any paperwork does it say anything about demo. It was never mentioned or disclosed. If it was, I would have opted for a different one to get the full year.

Moral of the story....I'm dissapointed.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I bought my KTM motorcycle I was also looking at bmw and triumph bikes, one bmw was new but 3 year old left over with half the warranty gone because bmw requires them to activate warranty after 2 years on a dealer floor. Makes me wonder if Honda has a similar program, if not why would the dealer submit warranty paperwork on a unsold unit. If they have to take demos out of inventory and do this and do not have to notify the buyer that is bs. Could be a state law but they should of told you, the bmw dealer was upfront that 50% of the warranty period had elapsed and so I passed on it.

Can‘t even tell you to buy new because you thought you did. When buying new I always ask for one in a crate or to be put together if that’s an option.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Heard back from the dealership (after hounding them). They are offering a 2 year warranty since nothing in my deal paperwork made any mention of a less than normal warranty period.
They won't reimburse me for the $150 I paid for repairs to my machine that was supposed to be under warranty.
Could be worse I suppose.

I'm considering buying the 3 year warranty if it will start after the 2 year is over. I have very little confidence in this machine.

• Sad
Reactions: Blownzuki and ChadD
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Heard back from the dealership (after hounding them). They are offering a 2 year warranty since nothing in my deal paperwork made any mention of a less than normal warranty period.
They won't reimburse me for the $150 I paid for repairs to my machine that was supposed to be under warranty.
Could be worse I suppose.

I'm considering buying the 3 year warranty if it will start after the 2 year is over. I have very little confidence in this machine.

Anyone would pay $150 for a 2 year warranty. I'd say you made out. As long as its a HONDA warranty, and not a 3rd party, like "torque". There are a bunch of them out there. I would stay a little mad with them, without being a dick, and make sure your warranty is through Honda.

I'd be very surprised if you ever need the warranty anyway. the 700's are extremely durable, trouble free machines. Of course there are exceptions, but as far as reliability the 700's have to be one of the best out there.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Good tip on the Honda vs aftermarket warranty.
I'll ask them about it.
My p700 has been a nightmare.
Sorry to hear that. My friend had one for quite a while. Used it like a car, drove it every day, with only the minimum amount of maintenance. He also plowed snow on his road because it is a no maintenance road, about a half mile long. Over 4000 miles of fairly hard use with no problems at all.

H

HondaTech

What was the issue with your Pioneer stalling?

True Demo units do have the warranty activated, but they should come with year of HPP when finally sold. Some dealers will purchase a "demo" and not use it until the demo period is up then sell it for less.

Honda does not make dealers activate warranty until the unit is registered as sold on left overs.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
What was the issue with your Pioneer stalling?

True Demo units do have the warranty activated, but they should come with year of HPP when finally sold. Some dealers will purchase a "demo" and not use it until the demo period is up then sell it for less.

Honda does not make dealers activate warranty until the unit is registered as sold on left overs.

Dealer told me they found corrosion on a ground. Honda said corrosion isn't covered even if I did have a 1 year warranty.

Keep in mind this machine is super clean zero corrosion anywhere. I asked if they took a picture...

All these issues started after they did the fuel pump replacement recall.
Due to the repeated failures of this machine, combined with terrible dealer support, my GF won't go off the property with it.

I had visions of us going to ATV parks and having no worries. That was totally ruined.
Damn shame. I feel ripped off.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!